Best Looking Martial Art - Opinion Thread

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody wants to know that their system was actually created by the village drunken outhouse cleaner.

I would give serious consideration to signing up for a school that advertised an art created by a drunken outhouse cleaner. What's so special about monks anyway?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would give serious consideration to signing up for a school that advertised an art created by a drunken outhouse cleaner. What's so special about monks anyway?
I've never run into a drunken outhouse, but I can imagine that whoever cleans it is probably a pretty tough dude.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well for one, I'd say they have cleaner hands. The outhouse cleaner might have some tough s%#t but I wouldn't cross hands with him till I saw some serious scrubbing going on.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really like watching Daito Ryu aikijujutsu and most Japanese jujutsu. When watching I like the "wa" between uke and Tori the connection between them. When I am with sensei and having these techniques being done to me and hearing the history behind it I am amazed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well for one, I'd say they have cleaner hands. The outhouse cleaner might have some tough s%#t but I wouldn't cross hands with him till I saw some serious scrubbing going on.
That's actually one of the techniques. If you are openhanded with those hands, the opponent likely wont punch out of fear that you'll grab his arm.
Alternatively, flick your wrist towards him, let some S**t fly into his eyes, then attack.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's actually one of the techniques. If you are openhanded with those hands, the opponent likely wont punch out of fear that you'll grab his arm.
Alternatively, flick your writst towards him, let some S**t fly into his eyes, then attack.
This is from tessenjutsu. Roughly translated, the technique is called, "**** hits the fan."

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sinanju. It is the sun.

Once again Buka displays his superior knowledge of all martial arts. You win Buka. I bow to you.

As it turns out, I was an insatiable fan of that series of books. I don't think I missed any of them. To me, no matter how improbable, they were just enjoyable.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find FMA beautiful when you see Sinawali done very well. Silat can also be very beautiful. Both, like Capoeira use music in traditional training as many arts rooted in a tribal culture will. Guro Dan would even play drums during
Training back in the day. When I train at home I prefer these guys. It starts slow and builds until about 2:30 where it takes off

For those who might not know what Sinawali looks like

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As we used to say in my neighborhood as kids, "Your Mama is so fat, other fat Mamas revolve around her like moons."

So, too, is Sinanju. It is the sun. What we all practice are merely minor planets revolving round the TRUTH of Martial Arts, Sinanju. May we all wear our jealousy well. :)

Last edited:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fujitsu:

lot2-Fujitsu-drinks-frideg.jpg

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Each system has its own creation story, often a monk or a famous general or an outlaw who had some inspiration or other that helped them create a new system. Those stories should be taken with a grain of salt, as they are often embellished a lot. There may be some truth in them, or none at all, but as a creation mythology they give an identity to the system and those who practice it. Of course these stories often have a founder who was unbeatable once he created his new method, and used the system to overcome an adversary of some kind. My own system is traced back to a Tibetan lama who witnessed a fight between a crane and a large monkey, by a mountaintop lake. This gave him inspiration to develop a new methodology. The story is actually plausible, the elements exist and could have happened, but the story traces back to the 1400s, so I personally do not believe it happened exactly as it is told.

These things are often linked to a monk or mysterious hermit or a famous general. Nobody wants to know that their system was actually created by the village drunken outhouse cleaner. So if the origins are sufficiently obscured in history, well the story might change a bit.

Animal systems, in my experience, are more focused on deeper principles of movement and application, and are less about specific techniques that mimick animal. Those techniques do exist, but they are often not as heavily used as people seem to assume. Nevertheless, they can become the "signature" move of the system, at least as far as the uneducated public understands it. But the reality is often not that at all.

For example, in my own white crane method, our use of the single leg stance is rare and usually very brief and simply a step as transition into something else. Our use of the crane beak strike is also rare, and when it is used is often applied as a hooking movement rather than a strike. So, no, in white crane we do not stand on one foot and poke at people with our finger tips. Nor do we flap our arms like wings.
Yeah, I agree. My statement was a joke suggesting monkeys had been fed alcohol by monks to observe the effectiveness of drunken fist + monkey fist.

Latest Discussions