Bert

Bert

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
My names is Bert

I am new to this web site, new to the martial arts and experiencing some difficulty in learning the art that I have chosen

I am presently practicing with the staff, I have been for the last couple years, I have hurt mysel quite a few times, mostly from spinning it radically, busting my nose a couple times and popping myself in the head and ears,

Can some one tell me the use of this weapon in acient times
my staff is 8 " 6 " long
icon9.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bert said:
Hi
My names is Bert

I am new to this web site, new to the martial arts and experiencing some difficulty in learning the art that I have chosen

I am presently practicing with the staff, I have been for the last couple years, I have hurt mysel quite a few times, mostly from spinning it radically, busting my nose a couple times and popping myself in the head and ears,

Can some one tell me the use of this weapon in acient times
my staff is 8 " 6 " long
icon9.gif
Welcome Bert. Welcome and be true.

I would suggest that you find an accredited MA school which teaches the use of a Bo-staff rather than the trial and erroneous ways you've been teaching yourself. The staff is a powerful weapon in the right hands, and also in the wrong hands... but (as you've stated) it'll be you that will be hurting and not your opponent(s). There are those on this board who can help you find the right art/school should you wish to continue your studies of the Bo Staff.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! You'll get lots of good advice and help here.

JeffJ

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

I would agree with MA-Caver - you need to find an instructor. People here can provide lots of good advice - but can't provide the feedback that a qualified instructor can when instructing you and watching how you perform.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I would suggest that you find an accredited MA school which teaches the use of a Bo-staff rather than the trial and erroneous ways you've been teaching yourself.

Greetings and welcome to MT! Ditto to the above.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT :wavey: we have got a lot of knowledge here, but to say ditto to what everyone else has said, none of this knowledge can take the place of a good instructor.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome again! :wavey: I will echo what everyone else already said. Attempting to teach yourself weapons is dangerous, as you already discovered from accidentally hitting yourself with your staff. There are also many subtle movements done with a weapon that you cannot teach yourself, since you have no frame of reference. I strongly advise you to seek proper instruction.

8.5 feet is a *little* long for most MA staff work; the longest bo staff used is usually about six feet. I used a six-foot staff during my brief stint in Kobudo.

There is a lot of information on MT; I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

I'd suggest that you enroll in a good martial arts school in your area before trying to take on a weapon-

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT..MA-Carver's post says it best..

MA-Caver said:
I would suggest that you find an accredited MA school which teaches the use of a Bo-staff rather than the trial and erroneous ways you've been teaching yourself. The staff is a powerful weapon in the right hands, and also in the wrong

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Bert. As has already been stated, find a good instructor for that staff. I taught myself to use nunchaku when I was a kid and had knots on my head til I was 15! Good luck.

Latest Discussions