Benefits of "Skipping"

bam357

White Belt
Reaction score
After being on this board for a few days(specifiacally the muay thai) ive noticed much talk about skipping during training?

I have trained in Taekwondo and Systema both for a short amount of time but i have never heard of skipping to improve your fighting?

Reaction score
bam357 said:
After being on this board for a few days(specifiacally the muay thai) ive noticed much talk about skipping during training?

I have trained in Taekwondo and Systema both for a short amount of time but i have never heard of skipping to improve your fighting?

it improves coordinatoin , balance , leg strength and stamina , evry MAist should skip

hope i helped

chris

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh I'm pretty good at skipping training. Specially if Ajahn isn't in town to know I've been doing it. :p

But seriously it's as Chris said, it builds your leg muscles and improves your endurance. I believe it helps conditions my achilles tendon which gives me a spring to my kicks and dashes. As a new muay thai practitioner my Ajahn told me to improve only two things: running and skipping. Once I'm proficient in both my endurance can hold out during intensive training.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Skipping is basic cardio training. Just like running. Cardio is an important aspect of training for all fighters. So in that sense yes it does make you a better fighter.
It also really works your calves. Muay Thai fighters need power and endurance in their calves because many of the kicking/kneeing techs require you to rise up on the ball of your foot explosively and consistantly throughout the fight.
Besides all that, its a great way to warm up before moving on to more technical aspects of your training.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skipping rope?
or just skipping??

Either is great for the legs!! It's sort of a plyometric exercise for the calves.

Have a Great day

(((Besides, it's kinda fun. Makes me feel like a kid skippin home from school)))

Your Brother
John

OP
B

bam357

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you all talking about the running/ skipping or jump ropping? or both?

stickywater

White Belt
Reaction score
skipping is always a good warm up, good for cardio and footwork as well. i train dutch thai and footwork is key, being light on the feet

Kieran

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

3x3 min rounds?

train 3x3 min skipping.

Latest Discussions