Being a hero...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been some discussion recently about sparring, and its role in training for self defense situations. I'm not rehashing that whole topic – but something came up that is worth discussion. I mentioned how some folks who have a legal permit to carry concealed are all but praying for a chance to become a “savior”, to be there when something like an active shooter situation goes down so that they can save the day. I was subsequently asked what someone should do if they find themselves in that sort of situation, and I thought it was a good topic for discussion. Especially since that “wanna-be savior” mindset isn't limited to open carry or CCW folks... There are quite a few martial artists who have the same sort of thinking about their unarmed skills.

It's a big question... and there's a lot involved. Bluntly... It's a topic worthy of a training course lasting several days, probably. Or book(s).

First, a caveat: I'm not offering legal advice or guidance. These are just my thoughts, and not any sort of official guidance.

So... Let's look at an important legal issue to start with. If you decide to jump into something, you take on only the rights of the party who you're trying to help. Look up, and see a guy being jumped by two guys who turn out to be cops in plainclothes arresting a criminal, and you might find yourself charged with assaulting an officer, obstruction of justice, aiding and abetting the escape... Or jump into a fight, and find out the guy who you're helping was the assailant... and you may find yourself charged with assault. (Heck, you might find yourself charged with assault, even if you're in the right. But that's a whole different thing, and more general self defense discussion.)

But those aren't really the situations we're looking at for the question, I don't think. There was a recent shooting in a mall in Columbia, MD. A kid armed with a shotgun, and apparently some explosives, made his way to a particular store, and shot two people before shooting himself. Another would be the Aurora movie theater shooting, or the Virginia Tech shooting a few years ago, or Sandy Hook... Sadly, there's a long list. These are, I think, more the situations that are drawing fantasies now, rather than simple robberies or assaults. The ideas I'm talking about apply to the more run of the mill events, though.

The usual “savior” narrative runs something like “I'm minding my own business, out shopping, when I look up, and I see a guy brandishing a gun, and starting to shoot people! I've trained for this (I spend more time on the range than most cops... and paid my own way to Super Killer Savior Camp last year), and I am like SO ready. I've got my Glock 19, with two full spare magazines, tactical flashlight, even my own Official Police Strength Pepper Spray Mace I'm going to sneak up to get a line of fire on the guy, and with a single perfect shot, put him down like the mad dog he is!”

There's a lot wrong with this thinking, and, honestly, I'm not even going to try to discuss it all. It's got little acceptance of the effects of adrenal stress, lack of concern for those accompanying you, carelessness regarding backstops...

I'm also not going to try to hit on everything myself. Hopefully, we'll discuss this and hash out some things that I may omit.

So... what to do?

First – whose safety is your responsibility? YOURS! You're useless if you're adding yourself to a casualty count. Especially if you have others with you... If you have someone else with you who is relying on you for their safety (a child, for example)... you have to see to their safety before you can do anything else.

Second – will your choice to take direct action add to the problem? There's no easy answer for this question. It's very situationally dependent. Will popping out with a gun stop the guy? Or anger them? Things are different if you happen to be in a bank when a robbery goes down than if you're in a mall when someone starts going through shooting people. Will popping out with a gun add to the panic? Are you prepared to be mistaken for the bad guy? I guarantee, especially if you're in normal clothes, it'll happen. And... if you shoot, who gets hit if you miss? Who gets hit if the bad guy wings a round or two your way?

Often, your best option may be to call 911 (or your local emergency number), and get help started. Stay on the line, and give them as much information as you can.

You can be a calming presence for those around you – but only if you remain calm yourself. And you can use your knowledge to help others be safer, guiding them to cover rather than concealment (and if you don't know the difference, that may be a clue that you shouldn't be doing much...), for example.

I don't want to get into tactics if you do choose to actively involve yourself. Again – very much depends on the specifics. Generally, though, you want to have cover. When it's over, you want to put your gun on the ground (if there's a lot of chaos, you can put your foot on it to keep others from grabbing it) and follow the directions of the police. Let me repeat the key part: FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF THE POLICE! Don't create any confusion by trying to be helpful. Follow their directions. If you're standing on your gun – tell them about it. But follow their directions.

But the bottom line is most of those savior/rescue fantasies are just that – fantasies. They deny the reality of adrenal dumps, of the sheer chaos that'll be going on... just lots of stuff. I'm not saying you should never act directly, since it seems that certain types of active shooters, especially, will stop (and often shoot themselves) when forcefully confronted or when they realize the police are coming, and since there are just too many elements that are unique to each situation. And I want to be absolutely clear that one of the best, most helpful things you can do – and it is DEFINITELY doing something – is to call the police. Don't assume someone else is doing that...

Thoughts and discussion are quite welcome! I'm in no way suggesting that what I've said is the only, or the best advice or opinion on this.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Three objectives in public shooting for civilians in order of priority.
1. Escape - once clear call 911
2. If escape is not an option - find cover/concealment - call 911
3. If 1&2 are not options and your life is at risk - directly engage with the intent to kill

If/when law enforcement arrives, do everything they ask then get out of their way.

SteveNC

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY WHY it is important to go through your CC class with a well qualified, thorough instructor to explain the ramifications of your actions should you ever end up in this situation.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been some discussion recently about sparring, and its role in training for self defense situations. I'm not rehashing that whole topic – but something came up that is worth discussion. I mentioned how some folks who have a legal permit to carry concealed are all but praying for a chance to become a “savior”, to be there when something like an active shooter situation goes down so that they can save the day. I was subsequently asked what someone should do if they find themselves in that sort of situation, and I thought it was a good topic for discussion. Especially since that “wanna-be savior” mindset isn't limited to open carry or CCW folks... There are quite a few martial artists who have the same sort of thinking about their unarmed skills.

It's a big question... and there's a lot involved. Bluntly... It's a topic worthy of a training course lasting several days, probably. Or book(s).

First, a caveat: I'm not offering legal advice or guidance. These are just my thoughts, and not any sort of official guidance.

So... Let's look at an important legal issue to start with. If you decide to jump into something, you take on only the rights of the party who you're trying to help. Look up, and see a guy being jumped by two guys who turn out to be cops in plainclothes arresting a criminal, and you might find yourself charged with assaulting an officer, obstruction of justice, aiding and abetting the escape... Or jump into a fight, and find out the guy who you're helping was the assailant... and you may find yourself charged with assault. (Heck, you might find yourself charged with assault, even if you're in the right. But that's a whole different thing, and more general self defense discussion.)

But those aren't really the situations we're looking at for the question, I don't think. There was a recent shooting in a mall in Columbia, MD. A kid armed with a shotgun, and apparently some explosives, made his way to a particular store, and shot two people before shooting himself. Another would be the Aurora movie theater shooting, or the Virginia Tech shooting a few years ago, or Sandy Hook... Sadly, there's a long list. These are, I think, more the situations that are drawing fantasies now, rather than simple robberies or assaults. The ideas I'm talking about apply to the more run of the mill events, though.

The usual “savior” narrative runs something like “I'm minding my own business, out shopping, when I look up, and I see a guy brandishing a gun, and starting to shoot people! I've trained for this (I spend more time on the range than most cops... and paid my own way to Super Killer Savior Camp last year), and I am like SO ready. I've got my Glock 19, with two full spare magazines, tactical flashlight, even my own Official Police Strength Pepper Spray Mace I'm going to sneak up to get a line of fire on the guy, and with a single perfect shot, put him down like the mad dog he is!”

There's a lot wrong with this thinking, and, honestly, I'm not even going to try to discuss it all. It's got little acceptance of the effects of adrenal stress, lack of concern for those accompanying you, carelessness regarding backstops...

I'm also not going to try to hit on everything myself. Hopefully, we'll discuss this and hash out some things that I may omit.

So... what to do?

First – whose safety is your responsibility? YOURS! You're useless if you're adding yourself to a casualty count. Especially if you have others with you... If you have someone else with you who is relying on you for their safety (a child, for example)... you have to see to their safety before you can do anything else.

Second – will your choice to take direct action add to the problem? There's no easy answer for this question. It's very situationally dependent. Will popping out with a gun stop the guy? Or anger them? Things are different if you happen to be in a bank when a robbery goes down than if you're in a mall when someone starts going through shooting people. Will popping out with a gun add to the panic? Are you prepared to be mistaken for the bad guy? I guarantee, especially if you're in normal clothes, it'll happen. And... if you shoot, who gets hit if you miss? Who gets hit if the bad guy wings a round or two your way?

Often, your best option may be to call 911 (or your local emergency number), and get help started. Stay on the line, and give them as much information as you can.

You can be a calming presence for those around you – but only if you remain calm yourself. And you can use your knowledge to help others be safer, guiding them to cover rather than concealment (and if you don't know the difference, that may be a clue that you shouldn't be doing much...), for example.

I don't want to get into tactics if you do choose to actively involve yourself. Again – very much depends on the specifics. Generally, though, you want to have cover. When it's over, you want to put your gun on the ground (if there's a lot of chaos, you can put your foot on it to keep others from grabbing it) and follow the directions of the police. Let me repeat the key part: FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF THE POLICE! Don't create any confusion by trying to be helpful. Follow their directions. If you're standing on your gun – tell them about it. But follow their directions.

But the bottom line is most of those savior/rescue fantasies are just that – fantasies. They deny the reality of adrenal dumps, of the sheer chaos that'll be going on... just lots of stuff. I'm not saying you should never act directly, since it seems that certain types of active shooters, especially, will stop (and often shoot themselves) when forcefully confronted or when they realize the police are coming, and since there are just too many elements that are unique to each situation. And I want to be absolutely clear that one of the best, most helpful things you can do – and it is DEFINITELY doing something – is to call the police. Don't assume someone else is doing that...

Thoughts and discussion are quite welcome! I'm in no way suggesting that what I've said is the only, or the best advice or opinion on this.

We took a call yesterday, just an off duty police officer from another town. He was doing some shopping with his family. The shopping plaza he was in, has a bank. He stated that he saw 2 guys pull up in a vehicle, piece of cardboard covering the plate, the guys get out, pull the hoods of their hoodies, up over their head, put on gloves, and walk into the bank. This couldn't have played out any more textbook, as our officers got there within seconds of his call. He was carrying, and with the help of another officer, took them out of the car at gunpoint. Perfect ending, nobody got hurt, and 2 career **** bags are off the street...for the moment anyways.

For me...I've involved myself in a few different situations, but my involvement wasn't physical. I simply called the cops, stayed on the phone, was a good witness, and let them deal with it. IMO, it has nothing to do with carrying or not. Regardless, we need to decide whether or not playing hero is worth it. If you're going to get involved, you damn well need to be ready to deal with the consequences and certainly be reponsible for your actions. Shooting with no concern for others...well, I dont give a rats *** what the laws state. If you're shooting, then you damn well better be accountable for EVERY shot you fire. I don't want to be a victim, because some jackass, hero wanna-be, feels big and bad because he's carrying, and in the heat of the moment, I'm hit by this idiot.

As for your last part about not assuming someone else is calling...I agree. I can attest to that, when there's a crash, and every passerby calls it in..lol. Personally, I'd rather have them call, and tell them that we've already got the call, instead of everyone driving by, and someone seriously hurt.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Conceal Carry Is Not About Being A Hero!
It is Not about becoming the police or a community security guard.
It is about protecting your personal self. If the risk to you in leaving is greater than staying and shooting then shoot. If you are able to safely get out then Get Out and call 911, be a good witness not a dead one.

Latest Discussions