Beginners Luck...hopefully

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Martial Artists!

I'm a beginner martial artist in taekwondo. I would like some feed back for good strength training exercises and stretching techniques that have helped you all improve your skill.

I don't want to become a very buff human being because that look doesn't seem right on a girls body. But I would like to become lean and quick. I am almost 5'5 about 120 Female, so nothing too difficult but challenging at the same time.

Like I said, I am new to this community, and to martial arts, but I'm tough (or at least that's what I am described as)

But please, I am up to do everything I possibly can to make myself better. I have finally found something enjoyable and exciting that I am actually good at. So daily/weekly workout options, etc. everything a person in the martial arts should know!

Thanks You!:D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not sure the area your from but if you can do swimming it is one of the best exercises you can do.
I would not suggest doing to much strength training for TKD if your new to it. Get limber and work on speed in your techniques at this time.
Two person stretching ( stand against the wall the other person helps lift your leg to its limit then slightly resists as the leg is lowered)
put your legs against a wall and let gravity pull them down to the sides

most of my other exercises are now considered old fashioned a I do static exercises

Last edited:

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I work / train a lot of women at my Academy. My wife is also a strength coach at my gym. She is a little taller than you, but around the same weight. For her, strength training and using big movements such as the: squat, deadlift, and overhead press; along with complimentary exercises and movement patterns has given her a ton of athleticism and very feminine / athletic body. Combine this training with performance training using kettlebells, sandbags, etc and you can achieve the ability / agility you are looking for, along with the body to back it up!

I am not the biggest fan of CrossFit - but what it has done, is shown that weight training for women can be very beneficial. If you are seriously looking to improve your ability.... (and I say this with a grain of salt) - look around for a "diverse" and experienced CrossFit "gym". If you lived in Connecticut, I'd say come train at our facility.

Good luck!

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about becoming too buff. A lot of people men and women new to exercise or lifting say they don't want to get "too big". Don't worry you don't just wake up after a few months of lifting and suddenly have 20" biceps. It takes hard work to get those "too big" physiques. You'll be fine, find an exercise program developed by a professional and stick with it. Internet forums (especially not fitness specialized ones) are a bad place to go looking for advice unless you follow links to legit workout programs. I remember freely advising people about weight lifting on martial arts forums 10 years ago when I was just getting into weight lifting. I had read some books and sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Now I know a lot more and also know that I'm no expert. Find an exercise program geared to your needs.

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I used to use weights, a lot of weights. That was mainly due to the type of weapons I was learning to use...you have to be quite strong. But I found that after about two months I did start to gain bulky muscle, which just made me look fat.
I now do a calisthenics workout; chin-ups, push ups, crunches, dips, squats.
Also I think for speed it's good to run through tires, like footballers. I do that at fencing, among other things.
L

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to use weights, a lot of weights. That was mainly due to the type of weapons I was learning to use...you have to be quite strong. But I found that after about two months I did start to gain bulky muscle, which just made me look fat.
I now do a calisthenics workout; chin-ups, push ups, crunches, dips, squats.
Also I think for speed it's good to run through tires, like footballers. I do that at fencing, among other things.
L

Hey. Have tried TRX suspension training. It could potentially add a useful element to you're training schedule. Just a thought Libby, I am doing it myself now.

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey. Have tried TRX suspension training. It could potentially add a useful element to you're training schedule. Just a thought Libby, I am doing it myself now.

Aha, that looks good, thank you!
The back stretching one looks really good, I never manage to fully stretch out my back :( I often end up in the crab position trying to stretch like a spider monkey.
L

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aha, that looks good, thank you!
The back stretching one looks really good, I never manage to fully stretch out my back :( I often end up in the crab position trying to stretch like a spider monkey.
L

Yeah I hear you on the need. The best one I like is feet and body thrust out front, then go up down on the on the arms and shoulders, works the back as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I work / train a lot of women at my Academy. My wife is also a strength coach at my gym. She is a little taller than you, but around the same weight. For her, strength training and using big movements such as the: squat, deadlift, and overhead press; along with complimentary exercises and movement patterns has given her a ton of athleticism and very feminine / athletic body. Combine this training with performance training using kettlebells, sandbags, etc and you can achieve the ability / agility you are looking for, along with the body to back it up!

I am not the biggest fan of CrossFit - but what it has done, is shown that weight training for women can be very beneficial. If you are seriously looking to improve your ability.... (and I say this with a grain of salt) - look around for a "diverse" and experienced CrossFit "gym". If you lived in Connecticut, I'd say come train at our facility.

Good luck!

The issue with crossfit being they tend to lift heavy with poor technique risking injuries.

Done right the concept works.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Warning a bit of swearing an a lot of "why are you doing that?" moments.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am quite a fan of the TRX. When I really stick with it the results have been quite good.

Latest Discussions