Beginner seeking advice.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
With a football background I'd reccommend Shootfighting, SAMBO or pancration. Jui-jitsu is essentially the manipulation of the joints. Personally I see little difference between BJJ an jui jitsu, just the emphasis on the "dirty moves" (which we all know are the best for self defense:D) in BJJ. Be cautious of the beef between Wing Chun, Wing Tsun and Ving Tsun etc. It's a personal matter of opinion who's "better". A lot of schools say they're the best. Personally, I like JKD. Learn what works best for you.

Also, you mentioned you enjoy the competative aspect. Breaking (Ice, boards, bricks, coconuts, toilets etc.)might be something you'd enjoy, maybe have a natural talent for it.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for a strickly self defense art. All arts are bsed on self defense but if you are looking for an art that is strickly based on street defense try Krav Maga. I have never studied it but everything I have read about it leads me to believe it is a great art to teach you to defend your self in a hurry. Maybe others could chime in on this. I also have heard that Penjak silat (forgive the spelling not sure about it) is a good well rounded self defense art.
Based on your comment that you like to compete try Judo, Ju Jitsu or Tea Kwon Do, they all compete in a lot of tournements and that might be just the ticket for you.
I would visit the schools in your area and get a feel for what they offer and what best fits what you are looking for. Go to one or two nights of classes and watch the instructor and his students. See if what he is teaching would fit into what you are looking for. But don't stop after the first school. Check them all out and then choose.
Good luck to you and God Bless.

Latest Discussions