BB training for 1st dan - how does yours work (not the test, the training for it)

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

There are 7 of us that need to prepare for the school's first black belt test (if you count the girl who barely shows up for classes and the 2 who joined our rank last Saturday). The owner/teacher has a lot going on and doesn't have much time for us. The master wants to help, but we need to strategize, plan, and then I liaise with the others to follow the plan and try to motivate them. That's just for the school's BB test. He taught here last year then had to stop. Back then he spoke of getting us WTF certified and it sounds like something that would be interesting to work toward (regardless of politics and such around if it's worthwhile to get; it just looks like A goal), so even if the others don't care, I'd like to do it anyway.

At my old school there was a whole training cycle, special classes, handouts, things they had to do, pretests - a whole program, it sounded like. But I wasn't quite there then and I wasn't involved in any planning or admin stuff for it.

I'm not looking to steal or some such strange thing. I'd just like to hear how it works at other schools, because it looks like I might have to make it up for us just so something gets done. So far, the descriptions I have found of the BB training processes (other than - duh - practicing forms, sparring, and breaking), is sketchy. Descriptions of testing, videos and clips of testing, are easy to find.

Anyone up for Show and Tell re: training cycle to reach 1st dan?

:)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The school where I studied before moving (and testing for BB) put on the wall a sheet with required items for each student. The student would check them off as he practised and felt confident with his 9 poomsase (taegeuk 1-8, and basai), 30 one-step sparrings, and 30 self-defense. Students getting ready for BB would attend about 5 times per week, and after bowing in at the start of the class, would go train by themselves while the other students did general kicking. The Master(s) would review and critique the techniques of the BB as they progressed and had checked off that they knew the various items.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ahh..I remember it like it was a Yesterday. I earned my black belt in 2010 after 4 years since I first started taekwondo. My grandmaster divide black belt test by half so really it took me 3 month since belt test takes every 2 month. all forms and self defense, step starring, sparring, broke 3 board with spinning sidekick and broke brick in half with open palm. Korean terns. now I'm almost half way to be 2nd dan black belt (took year off and injury issues) i have 7 test left..its almost same but i have to break two brick.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
and i trained everything I know so far..thats all i can say.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I basically just trained the way I always train.

For the 1st Dan black belt test in Germany (Kukkiwon Dan through the German Taekwondo Union) you need to do;

- basic techniques
- Taeguk Pal Jang
- Hanbon Kyorugi/Ilbo Taeryon/1-step sparring
- Competition Sparring
- Self-Defense
- Board Breaking

Plus you'll need to take part in a Dan-preparation seminar within 1 year before the test where they'll show you what they exactly expect you to do and tell you on which aspects you still may need to work.

I did a few training sessions on my own in which I focused doing the basic techniques the way they want you to do them during the test. Furthermore I did Taeguk Pal Jang in front of class in order to getting used to doing the form in front of others with everybody watching.
Sparring-wise and self-defense wise I didn't prepare anything special.
The board breaking I tried once, a few months before the test.

Stuff that can really helpful for the first black belt test:

- Watch some other people's black belt test before you take yours, so that the whole thing and procedure isn't completely new to you.
- Participate in a Poomsae tournament in order to get to do the Poomsae in another environment than your dojang and with strangers watching.
- Participate in Taekwondo seminars in order to get used to train with strangers (especially when you'll need to do 1-step sparring, competition sparring and self-defense with people you have never trained with before).

Of course the 1st Dan test shouldn't be underestimated, but it also isn't anything that requires any special training that's completely different from what has been done till 1st Kup, in my opinion.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my school, the requirements for that your rank are provided to you once you get promoted which makes it nice, but they also normally add some additional surprises when you test but nothing too alarming.

chodanbo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

There are 7 of us that need to prepare for the school's first black belt test (if you count the girl who barely shows up for classes and the 2 who joined our rank last Saturday). The owner/teacher has a lot going on and doesn't have much time for us. The master wants to help, but we need to strategize, plan, and then I liaise with the others to follow the plan and try to motivate them. That's just for the school's BB test. He taught here last year then had to stop. Back then he spoke of getting us WTF certified and it sounds like something that would be interesting to work toward (regardless of politics and such around if it's worthwhile to get; it just looks like A goal), so even if the others don't care, I'd like to do it anyway.

At my old school there was a whole training cycle, special classes, handouts, things they had to do, pretests - a whole program, it sounded like. But I wasn't quite there then and I wasn't involved in any planning or admin stuff for it.

I'm not looking to steal or some such strange thing. I'd just like to hear how it works at other schools, because it looks like I might have to make it up for us just so something gets done. So far, the descriptions I have found of the BB training processes (other than - duh - practicing forms, sparring, and breaking), is sketchy. Descriptions of testing, videos and clips of testing, are easy to find.

Anyone up for Show and Tell re: training cycle to reach 1st dan?

:)
My cho dan bo test in coming up in two weeks. For me to continue to 1st degree, I have to pay upfront $572 for new 2 new uniforms and also include a certificate for my 1st dan. This is in addition to my monthly dues of $179. It's a lot of money. I thinking of taking a break once I test for cho dan bo. If I really want to learn poomsae, I can learn it on youtube.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My cho dan bo test in coming up in two weeks. For me to continue to 1st degree, I have to pay upfront $572 for new 2 new uniforms and also include a certificate for my 1st dan. This is in addition to my monthly dues of $179. It's a lot of money. I thinking of taking a break once I test for cho dan bo. If I really want to learn poomsae, I can learn it on youtube.
Wow, that's expensive. But I don't know squat about pricing now, maybe it's the norm, I dunno'.

Personally, I would cut off my finger before I ever charged a student to go through the hell of a test.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on what your instructor expects of you. If you train regularly just do more of that and find your weakness. Then focus on turning that weakness into less of a weakness. If you are training seriously then you should already be doing what you need to for your testing.

I don't like to use this word much, but it really sounds like you train at a McDojo belt mill. Why do you need new uniforms just because you got a new belt? That sounds like it's extra and should be optional (especially when you can get some really nice dobok for around $25) What certificate costs that much? KKW Certification is only $70, our school gets really nice, professionally made, gold leaf embossed 17x14 certificates with display folders on really nice paper and they are still cheap enough that we don't charge any money for BB test. You might want to look into another school to train instead of just stopping because this isn't the norm.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that's expensive. But I don't know squat about pricing now, maybe it's the norm, I dunno'.

Personally, I would cut off my finger before I ever charged a student to go through the hell of a test.
That is definitely not the norm in a legit martial arts school. This is belt mill cash cow 101 and it gives a bad name to dojo/dojang with integrity because a lot of people who train in places like this have never looked into another school so they think it's okay and is normal when it definitely is not.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Respectfully, that is stupid expensive, not to mention your very high monthly dues. And what are the two uniforms about? What organization will you be certified under?
Since you already feel like you can get more out of poomsae training from Youtube how much actual value is your BB from this school going to have to you (a relative question)?
I do not expect you to give away any personal information but do you mind telling us what city or state you train in? Purely for perspective since training rates to vary greatly across the US.

Latest Discussions