Bashing ?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why on Earth do we as Ma'ers need the need to bash other MA'ers wheather we agree with them or not we must have Dignity and Humility and stay Humble enough to bring that to our students and our schools. No one man or woman is perfect and we all have our views but for the beginners of a Art that we tell to be respectful to all others and turn around and bash another instructor is un ethical to me anyway.:asian:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
First thing that came to mind when reading your question... Ego.
:idunno:
My thoughts exactly, though I was having a hard time trying to say it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dubljay said:
My thoughts exactly, though I was having a hard time trying to say it.
Well considering that I don't *ahem* have an ego, it's easier for me to say it.

~Your ever humble servant :D

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is why tradtional martial arts try to teach humility from white belt on up. Because as soon as people become black belt, or have set of skills and are recognized for them in their art, then they start comparing themselves to others. Maybe this is natural, this competition, and is a survival instinct. As black belts we should realize that we hardly, know everything. The bubble is burst when black belt is achieved and he/she finds out they are really now beginning serious training. We question everything to sort through all the information and try to get an understanding. But we forget everyone has an opinion some more based on experience or fact and its hard to know if it is correct. So we learned something one way, should we immediately disregard another's opinion? No, go back to the first lessons of humility you learned as a child. The ability to say, I'm sorry. Treat others like you want to be treated. Rudeness just produces more of the same. Be open and be respectful of others, because your opinion could be the wrong one. Its hard to learn something one way, and find out it could be wrong. We are all here on this board to learn from each other. And from the complexity of this world, its easy to lose patience with others. But no matter what opinion you have of yourself, if you are rude or impatient, hurtful, or boasting, nobody wants to know you. You might be an island unto yourself. TW

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one man or woman is perfect and we all have our views

Sorry for the big snip buddy,but there is your answer. Some people just have a need to see their views out there,no matter how it reflects on them.

*I eat a slice of humble pie every day...it does an ego good!*:ultracool

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question!

After "ego", I think the next best answer would be "insecurity."

Miles

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excuse me.

If I see someone who is lying, abusing students or doing anything else I consider to be evil, I will stand up and say so.

Some people have said that this is bashing. So be it. Would you stand aside while someone molests a child just so that you could stand firm to the principle of "if you can't say somethign nice about someone, don't say anything"?

I do not care if people think that I am not someone they would study under as long as when I go to bed I know that I have done all I can to keep evil in check. I consider those that turn a blind eye to evil deeds for fear of being thought less of as less than human.

And I am totally without remorse about bashing evil people. Deal with it!!!!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think he was referring to evil deeds done by instructors (again it's the instructor that abuses/molests etc. not the style). I thought he was referring more to the "it's not like our style, so it's bad" mentality that you see so prevalant in the MA world.

I think it's a combination of ego and insecurity. I also think that as people we want to believe that what we have invested ourselves in is "the best" so we will look for ways to bring others down.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Excuse me.

If I see someone who is lying, abusing students or doing anything else I consider to be evil, I will stand up and say so.

Some people have said that this is bashing. So be it. Would you stand aside while someone molests a child just so that you could stand firm to the principle of "if you can't say somethign nice about someone, don't say anything"?

I do not care if people think that I am not someone they would study under as long as when I go to bed I know that I have done all I can to keep evil in check. I consider those that turn a blind eye to evil deeds for fear of being thought less of as less than human.

And I am totally without remorse about bashing evil people. Deal with it!!!!

I agree Don. If I saw something like that I would take a personal interest in the situation.
I work on US military bases all over Japan and on a Marine base there was a sign I liked.
It said: “If you see something wrong and do nothing about it it’s because you are a coward”. This is actually a take on something a Pope said several 100 years ago….but it’s still true today.

As for “bashing”……isn’t this thread kind of hypocritical…..I mean isn't this thread bashing the bashers?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you want a good example of bashing take a look at the TKD forum and read the thread about improving kicking speed. It seemed to me that a few of people felt the need to attack the person's rank that posted the thread rather than help that person out with advice. I am not trying to embarras anyone or point fingers, I just found it a bit shocking.

K

Knifehand

RRouuselot said:
As for “bashing”……isn’t this thread kind of hypocritical…..I mean isn't this thread bashing the bashers?
No it isn't, and yes they deserve it. People who bash another art are people who don't understand the true meaning of Martial Arts. Like this style doesn't teach SD very well. Maybe its not that art's focus. Some martial arts are more geared toward a lifestyle than SD.

But, regardless, people who bash other martial arts are incapable of understanding true martial arts.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles said:
Good question!

After "ego", I think the next best answer would be "insecurity."

Miles
THere is also the 'pride out of balance' idea. People can be proud and confident in what they do, but that doesn't mean that others should feel less.

The problem I see is that in order to do well and survive a self defense situation, the mental aspect that you will not be dominated, that you will survive - even when all the technique has failed you - faith in yourself has to be strong.....but then you have to be able to 'switch mental gears' to the training mentallity of a good student for training purposes that, though you have something good, others will as well.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On the positive side some of the bashing comes from strong loyalties coupled with a strong drive for perfection. Both admirable qualities which sometimes cause people to say and do things they might not otherwise do. This coupled with the unfortunate tendancy in electronic communications for people to forget common politeness (no immediate verbal or facial clues to redirect the speaker) leads to poorly worded or inappropriate responses. (There are of course a few people who are just plain rude.)

My advice, treasure the strong emotions, learn what you can and practice ignoring overly agressive responses.

Respectfully,

Jeff

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do they bash?

The arts attract people that often (not always, but often) have one or both of the following characteristics:

Aggression.

Insecurity and a resultant need for power...either perceived or actual. This ties in with an intellectual insecurity and a need to be "right."

Given human nature, its rather unrealistic to expect people (some, not all) to follow this pattern. Check other forums on other heated subjects and you'll get the same sort of agonism.

Try a gun forum. Go and argue the merits of a .357 versus a .45 for "stopping power," or argue the idea of "stopping power" in and of itself. The responses you get will be as if you called someone's mother a name.

Regards,

Steve

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Try a gun forum. Go and argue the merits of a .357 versus a .45 for "stopping power," or argue the idea of "stopping power" in and of itself. The responses you get will be as if you called someone's mother a name.

I think I would shoot myself before attempting something like that, save them the trouble.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Why on Earth do we as Ma'ers need the need to bash other MA'ers wheather we agree with them or not we must have Dignity and Humility and stay Humble enough to bring that to our students and our schools. No one man or woman is perfect and we all have our views but for the beginners of a Art that we tell to be respectful to all others and turn around and bash another instructor is un ethical to me anyway.:asian:

Hi all. havent been posting for a while. Guess I got too scared in case my opinions got bashed!!!! I am only a nvoice in MA, and most of the advise on these forums are really good. I think people need to realise that there are different ways of looking at things. It is always good to get other opinions. Helps to look at thinks in different prospectives. Tunnel vision is not a good thing.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hi all. havent been posting for a while. Guess I got too scared in case my opinions got bashed!!!! I am only a nvoice in MA, and most of the advise on these forums are really good. I think people need to realise that there are different ways of looking at things. It is always good to get other opinions. Helps to look at thinks in different prospectives. Tunnel vision is not a good thing.
I guess that depends on the tunnel you're envisioning?
:partyon:

D.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
No it isn't, and yes they deserve it. 1) People who bash another art are people who don't understand the true meaning of Martial Arts. 2) Like this style doesn't teach SD very well. Maybe its not that art's focus. 3) Some martial arts are more geared toward a lifestyle than SD.

4) But, regardless, people who bash other martial arts are incapable of understanding true martial arts.

1)[font=&quot] [/font]I guess it all depends on what you consider “bashing”.

2)[font=&quot] [/font]I was always under the impression that a martial art by definition was about self-defense and if not then it was something other than a martial art. As for some styles not teaching self-defense very well……it’s true some don’t, but it is not the fault of the art but the instructor.

3)[font=&quot] [/font]I am sorry I don’t know what you are trying to say here. Can you explain please?

4)[font=&quot] [/font]That would be your opinion anyway. It may or may not be true. Since we now know what you think is not a true martial artist then in your opinion what is a “true martial artist”?

Latest Discussions