Basement Workout

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice videos! One of the hardest things I've found to teach is keeping your guard up and elbows in while throwing a punch. You do it nicely.

I do a similar open hand excercise for blocking / counter striking as your 2nd video, but I think I'm going to try what you were doing to mix things up a bit. I bet I get a few "tags" in there before they realize what I'm doing. I always like changing up routines for just that reason. Thanks for sharing!

OP
R

RevDogo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, I drilled the structure from my JKD Straight Blast for some time.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I tried the blocking excercise and with minimal adjustment, it went well. Students, as much as myself, like switching things up. It took little time to adapt to the excercise and we began going faster and then breaking the rhythm so they'd stay focused. Finally added a counter strike and secondary strike. Again, nothing completely new, but a new twist on an old excercise. Thanks again for sharing!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevDogo, You are doing great and I see tremendous growth in your movements, IMHO. There are a few points of feedback that I can share if you so desire. They are not critiques by any means but I will not share them unless asked to do so.

OP
R

RevDogo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Because most of what i was doing with my friend/student Guillermo was more of an intro to hubud and mixing in a little bit of random Chi sao/lop sao it was really sloppy.
But i take any suggestions and am always willing to learn something new...except forms! i hate forms!....lol

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because most of what i was doing with my friend/student Guillermo was more of an intro to hubud and mixing in a little bit of random Chi sao/lop sao it was really sloppy.
But i take any suggestions and am always willing to learn something new...except forms! i hate forms!....lol
Hi RevDogo,

Again, you are doing well and you might be executing these same suggestions anyway but if not try them for fun...

-Try modifying the rhythm on your Backward (Male) and Forward (Female) takeoffs.
-Basic is a "One-And-Two".
-Explode on foot change on the "And-Two".
-Add a slight pause (One-Pause-And-Two).

It's amazing how these variations changes the dynamics of things. Try this when you are doing Hubad. Do stationary Hubad, then do explosive Left Take offs (this might break the chain).

Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok RevDogo,

Next little trick is to use the Hubad drill to practice your sticky/push hands skills (Chi Sao). In order to do this, make all your parries long (starting from the elbows of the opponent, down to the wrist). Maintain contact as much as possible and keep your right hand at or above your waist for the second parry and once you parry with the right hand, concentrate on the wedge parry.

There is so much here, but when you start adjusting the wedge, you will start seeing eye rakes. Have fun but be careful!

Latest Discussions