Bamboo Dummy?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a post that I drilled some holes in at various heights and placed rattan staffs in them for pole / knife training.

From time to time I'll practice some various empty hand drills on them which makes me curious about the bamboo dummy that is supposedly in Yuen Kay San lineage.

Anyone know about or practice the bamboo dummy?

APL76

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a post that I drilled some holes in at various heights and placed rattan staffs in them for pole / knife training.

From time to time I'll practice some various empty hand drills on them which makes me curious about the bamboo dummy that is supposedly in Yuen Kay San lineage.

Anyone know about or practice the bamboo dummy?

It was in the Yuen Kay San system. Sum Nung told my Sifu that Yuen Kay San told him to go and make one and he'd teach it to him, however, Sum Nung was quite poor at the time and couldn't afford to build it. I guess Yuen Kay San had told him enough about it to make one. Some time after that Yuen Kay San was involved in an altercation in a restaurant while he was eating with Sm Nung and took ill after that (possibly had a stroke or a heart attack or something, he was very old at the time) so he died quite suddenly. On his death bed he told Sum Nung about the bamboo dummy, how to do it I guess. Sum Nung didn't however actually practice it as far as I have ever heard. He told my sifu about it and essentially its a refinement tool, and, if one does the wooden dummy correctly, you shouldn't need the bamboo dummy. That's what I was told anyway.

Basically its lost from Yuen Kay San wing chun now. There seems to be some people coming from Yu Choy who claim to have it, possibly via Yuen Chay Wan (Yuen Kay San's brother).

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was in the Yuen Kay San system. Sum Nung told my Sifu that Yuen Kay San told him to go and make one and he'd teach it to him, however, Sum Nung was quite poor at the time and couldn't afford to build it. I guess Yuen Kay San had told him enough about it to make one. Some time after that Yuen Kay San was involved in an altercation in a restaurant while he was eating with Sm Nung and took ill after that (possibly had a stroke or a heart attack or something, he was very old at the time) so he died quite suddenly. On his death bed he told Sum Nung about the bamboo dummy, how to do it I guess. Sum Nung didn't however actually practice it as far as I have ever heard. He told my sifu about it and essentially its a refinement tool, and, if one does the wooden dummy correctly, you shouldn't need the bamboo dummy. That's what I was told anyway.

Basically its lost from Yuen Kay San wing chun now. There seems to be some people coming from Yu Choy who claim to have it, possibly via Yuen Chay Wan (Yuen Kay San's brother).

Sad that ir was lost.

Latest Discussions