Bag Work N Speed

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God, I love kids. Just want to give em' a hug.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are creating some bad habits...unless all you are interested in doing is short fast speed punching.

No, based on only the 3rd video being available for viewing, he's just working on speed and short punches. This is common training in Boxing and not the only way that Boxers train.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, based on only the 3rd video being available for viewing, he's just working on speed and short punches. This is common training in Boxing and not the only way that Boxers train.
Okay.

So you admit you haven't viewed the other videos...

In every video he was doing things that reinforced bad fundamentals. If one is practicing poor fundamentals over and over one is creating a bad habit. I so stated such.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like Danny T said, the third video wasn’t the only video. If it was one video and the rest weren’t like that, it’s obviously a drill. When everything he did had fundamental flaws, there’s an issue.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay.

So you admit you haven't viewed the other videos...

In every video he was doing things that reinforced bad fundamentals. If one is practicing poor fundamentals over and over one is creating a bad habit. I so stated such.

Well he deleted them, maybe because y'all scared him off.

The only video left is a common way to develop hand speed and it works.

And fundamentals is not necessarily how someone must fight. Do you know how he fights?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well he deleted them, maybe because y'all scared him off.

The only video left is a common way to develop hand speed and it works.

And fundamentals is not necessarily how someone must fight. Do you know how he fights?
I would say probably never. Everything is wrong with this from his structure, to his form, to his head position, to his slappy hooks. Sure it might be a speed drill but everything about this screams 'completely untrained'

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then one hand would be up and the opposite should would be pulled up against the jaw to protect it.
In the videos he wasn't using the philly shell.

Nope.

1. What do you mean "one hand would be up and the opposite should be pulled up against the jaw".....this just means both hands are up and therefore, it's not the Philly Shell.

2. I guess you've never trained this type of hand speed exercise? This is how it's usually done. No one does these exercises while maintaining proper stance and guard.

3. You're probably not familiar with the differences between the Philly Shell and the Mayweather Crab Defense.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say probably never. Everything is wrong with this from his structure, to his form, to his head position, to his slappy hooks. Sure it might be a speed drill but everything about this screams 'completely untrained'

Incorrect.

The video shows someone training for hand speed and this is one of the most effective & common way to do so in Boxing. Again, I'm going by this one video only as the others are unavailable. And based on this 1 video, you cannot come to the conclusion that he's "completely untrained". What's wrong with his structure, form and head position?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Incorrect.

The video shows someone training for hand speed and this is one of the most effective & common way to do so in Boxing. Again, I'm going by this one video only as the others are unavailable. And based on this 1 video, you cannot come to the conclusion that he's "completely untrained". What's wrong with his structure, form and head position?
Are you being serious right now? If so, this isn't going to be a productive discussion even if I break down everything wrong with this, if not, way to be committed to the cause.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
short fast speed punching
Nope.

1. What do you mean "one hand would be up and the opposite should be pulled up against the jaw".....this just means both hands are up and therefore, it's not the Philly Shell.
Oops...that should have been 'shoulder'. I apologize for the spelling mistake. The shoulder is pulled up against the jaw and is used for deflecting with a rolling of the body.

2. I guess you've never trained this type of hand speed exercise?
I was referring to your question, "What if his stance is the Philly Shell?"
He wasn't using the Philly Shell which isn't a stance but an upper body posture.
He could transition in and out of the shell but in the videos he wasn't using it.
We also use the punching drill he was demonstrating. But what he was doing has fundamental discrepancies other than just for speed. Hence my statement; "You are creating some bad habits...unless all you are interested in doing is short fast speed punching."

This is how it's usually done. No one does these exercises while maintaining proper stance and guard.
So you agree it is only in the interest for short fast speed punching.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was referring to your question, "What if his stance is the Philly Shell?"
He wasn't using the Philly Shell which isn't a stance but an upper body posture.

Man, you just described a "stance".

He could transition in and out of the shell but in the videos he wasn't using it.

Boxers can use different stances....or better yet, call them guards.

We also use the punching drill he was demonstrating. But what he was doing has fundamental discrepancies other than just for speed. Hence my statement; "You are creating some bad habits...unless all you are interested in doing is short fast speed punching."

You just contradicted your statement by saying that you do the same thing as he did. Again, how do you know that this is all that he does?

So you agree it is only in the interest for short fast speed punching.

Well if you want to dissect everything, then no....because this exercise complements other techniques involved in hand striking.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you being serious right now? If so, this isn't going to be a productive discussion even if I break down everything wrong with this, if not, way to be committed to the cause.

I just showed you 2 videos of this exercise being used? One was freakin' Manny Pacquiao.....Manny's not good enough for you? You can find Maywayther, Tyson, etc. all doing this also. This is a common exercise used by Boxers and even Kickboxers. I guess you don't train these MA's?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, you just described a "stance".

Boxers can use different stances....or better yet, call them guards.
Boxers use different stances 'and' different guards.
For me stance is referring to how one positions their legs/feet, weight distribution. Guard is different to stance. One can be in a Rt lead (stance), left lead, low crouch stance and be using and number of guards like the Philly Shell (originally known as the Crab or the Michigan Defense) or a peek-a-boo or a conventional guard, or the ear muff, or the cross arm.
If I were sitting on a stool and held my upper body and arms in the position of the philly shell would I be in a stance or sitting?

You just contradicted your statement by saying that you do the same thing as he did.
Huh?
I said "we use the punching drill he was demonstrating."
And we do...use the drill. Strictly as a speed drill. But not exactly as he showed.

Again, how do you know that this is all that he does?
I don't...never said I did.
I was referring specifically to the videos he posted.