bad reputation

jagenheie

White Belt
Reaction score
i have been pracicing shaolin-do for 6 1/2 months now i am satisfied witht the instructors the material and i hvae found no reason to disagree with the history as presented with the exception of a few embelishments and i was wondering why my style has such a bad rep from what i can figure it is from like 2 schools that are the exception not the rule that everyone takes as being the entire style then they liberally talk about the badness of the art while having never seen or pericipating in a class and it is mostly the lower ranks that people have a problem with of course we can't do things perfect yet we just got it

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't sweat it...It seems EVERY discipline and sub-discipline has some sort of negativity attached to it's name..Train hard and IGNORE the BS..

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This topic has been hashed to death all over the internet. I think the basic summary is that aside from the "shady history", shaolin-do people simply don't move like other CMA people. They lack a quality of lightness and flow characteristic to Chinese systems according to posts I've read on other forums. But I'm a karate guy so what do I know?

Does it really matter, though? If you like the training, stick with it. There's a big shaolin-do school in my city. They always look like they are having fun and getting good exercise when I see them practicing.

OP
J

jagenheie

White Belt
Reaction score
i do enjoy it and it is a lot of fun i just hate seeing the art that i am didicating myself to recieve such a bad name but i guess that every art will some day or another what do you mean by shady history ive learned a bit about our history as presented and it seems at least as plausable as most martial arts origins whatever you have a problem with i can try to answer the questions

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey man no sweat. I study SKK find any variation of Kempo/Kenpo that has been ragged on and Ill give you money.

B

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You simply need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Are you getting the training that you wanted?

2) Are you happy with the program and the instructors?

3) Are the people there of decent character?

4) Is the school operating in a lawful manner?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above, then it doesn't matter what other people think. Enjoy your training, and stick with it.

There will *always* be people out there who are looking to pick a fight, and start mudslinging. Sometimes they're trying to expose substandard schools, while other times, it's simply a matter of someone trying to puff up his e-chest. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You want to hear negativity?? Be around when I mention that I study Combat Hapkido..

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
You want to hear negativity?? Be around when I mention that I study Combat Hapkido..
Try being a Villari guy....first response you get "ohh you studied there??"
Are you happy...that's all the matters....To some that brand new F250 is just another Ford....shameful....

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
new F250 :fanboy:

...and Grenaider... e-chest that was funny

like everyone says if you like and it makes you happy than tell all those people giving you crap to stick it in their (insert word)

B

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All that matters is the bottom line and that if you enjoy it keep going if not find soemthing else.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Very true..

Yeah, getting to know you to what small extent I have thru MT, I kinda gathered that to be the case :)

These guys oughtta be figuring, you're an older veteran of the force, you been dealing with everything that entails for years, do they really think you're gonna get paid that long to do a job you can't do?

See now if every perp thought like I do your job would be much easier, but then, that's why they're perps....in most cases not especially gifted with intelligence....Glad you're on our side:)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See now if every perp thought like I do your job would be much easier, but then, that's why they're perps....in most cases not especially gifted with intelligence....Glad you're on our side:)

Very true...A little boredom wouldn't hurt...

OP
J

jagenheie

White Belt
Reaction score
all your comments are true and i am glad that at least most of the people on this forum has an open mind for those that don't i will say this anything that you have a disliking of or something that you take offense to i will try to explain it or if anyone is curious i hope that people looking to find a new art give shaolin do a chance it isnt as bad as some people would make you think

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Isn't ALL hapkido for combat? Isn't that kind of like naming a tool for installing nails a "hammering hammer."

(grins, ducks and runs away ;))