Bad instructor. What to do????

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry for the derailment of the thread but i dont think this is accurate. this clip explains good helmets but thats not the end of the story. accidents are not limited to direct impacts. a lot of injuries are caused by sliding your face over 50 feet of pavement. people lose their facial features and sometimes including the entire jaw. the key is to wear an approved DOT helmet. most bikers (myself included) wear nothing but a "skull cap" or "brain bucket" designed for scooping your brain up off the ground after the accident.

Maybe I was being a bit oversimplistic. The helmet will definitely help protect from road rash, as severe as you mention. But if your head is sliding along the pavement at a decent speed, chances are pretty high you’re going to break your neck. The helmet isn’t going to protect you from that.

Again, I’m not a motorcycle guy, so take my opinions as you will. I could be way off.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And where in the post was that claimed to be what he said

That's what it seemed to imply, to me. That it was done to belittle the student rather than to teach him.

I may be wrong but the a commonly held definition for a black belt is that they mastered the basic movements of a particular style. It is 100% to be corrected for technique even when you are a black belt. The way it comes across to the student may differ from how that message was intended to be delivered but that is what happens when the human element is introduced into anything. Two people can look at the exact same thing and feel opposite about it.

Still, the OP is a parent and the comments were being delivered to a child by an adult, they may want to have a discussion with the CI to "better understand" what happened. They won't know unless they ask. I can also understand that there are parents who 'bubble wrap" their kids. Who knows if this is that kind of situation but, imho, asking for clarification from the CI is better than assuming the worst. In all instances, people should be respectful when making such inquiries as they can be contentious.

At my school you have a functional understanding of the techniques, but there's still a lot of details that get cleaned up by 2nd and 3rd degree. Personally, I got my 3rd degree, and I'm still struggling with a few things and still learning.

There's also a big difference between a black belt's mastery of the white & yellow belt forms vs. their mastery of the form they learned just before getting their black belt. The earlier forms are simpler and they've done them for years. The advanced forms are more complex and they've probably only been doing them for the last several months or so.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the OP hasn’t been back to the thread since posting it....so I’m going no to guess it was an overreaction.

We watched the UK version of The Apprentice and one of the contestants was getting annoyed, he got a bit ratty and raised his voice, Several of the other contestants complained afterwards about how 'emotional' he was and they couldn't have someone who got that 'emotional' (they meant was that he was unstable) in a team. What everyone else saw was someone who was hot and bothered cooking over a hot fat fryer and getting annoyed because his team weren't giving stuff to fry fast enough, irritable certainly but weepy, unstable or about to have a breakdown no.
People see very different things, and put their own take on people. Parents especially are very protective of their children ( yes rightly so) but sometimes do see something as being too critical of their children and by extension themselves.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanshi Charles Martin is still Nakamura’s student. Such a nice guy. I’ve met and spoke to him a few times, but haven’t had the privilege of being in a class he’s running.

My teacher has a ton of William Oliver stories too. My teacher was around during the Fighting Black Kings days. He’s not in the movie, but he was at some of those workouts. I think he was around brown belt at that time. I think he said he was in the first group to test for shodan after Kaicho Nakamura left Kyokushin and started Seido. That was 1976.

The Kyokushin offshoot I was in was started by 2 former Nakamura Kyokushin students. We were supposed to adjust our contact with people appropriately, but there were enough guys who didn’t understand that concept, unfortunately. I loved it when I was in my 20s. In my 40s, I don’t recover like I used to. My 20 man kumite for shodan was on a Saturday. I was back in class Monday night. If that were today, I’d be out at least a week, more like 2+.

I loved it and truthfully miss it. But I’m also realistic about where I am at this point in my life and how long I could keep that up. I know a few too many guys who needed hip and knee replacements at way too young of an age because of that stuff, along with other problems. I’ve got the utmost respect for it, but right now it’s just not for me. Been there done that. If I could do that for the rest of my life, I’d do it.
Osu, glad to hear Hanshi Martin is still at it. I too had a 20 man kumite (1-1/2 minutes per round) and was back in class on the Monday but I trained for it. It is something I will not forget soon but you are correct, the body doesn't recover as fast as it used to and I have to be mindful of that every time I step on the floor. It doesn't change the way I spar but I do think of it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what it seemed to imply, to me. That it was done to belittle the student rather than to teach him.

At my school you have a functional understanding of the techniques, but there's still a lot of details that get cleaned up by 2nd and 3rd degree. Personally, I got my 3rd degree, and I'm still struggling with a few things and still learning.

There's also a big difference between a black belt's mastery of the white & yellow belt forms vs. their mastery of the form they learned just before getting their black belt. The earlier forms are simpler and they've done them for years. The advanced forms are more complex and they've probably only been doing them for the last several months or so.
Yeah that's my point they tried to imply that but the actual description of what happened simply sounds like normal teaching and a parent who's upset their kid wasn't treated like a god for wearing a black belt

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those of us who came through before the gear mandate hit a lot harder with gear on. All I can say is my mentality was I can hit harder now that we’re padded up. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
This is common is a common way to think. Probably because if we all learn that pads protect, so if they protect then the person will be ok when you blast them.

American football players lay each other out thanks to the equipment that they have one. I know for a fact they would hit like this if they didn't have the equipment.

Ruby is rough but it still is not close to the human train wreck in American football. Tackles are much cleaner. American football players could learn from these guys

From the quick research I did, it seems that both have serious injuries. American Football has the higher impact injury and the Ruby has serious spine injuries.
Sports Science: The Science of the Scrum

As for sparring this is the best video yet. You can see those who turn down the power and then those knuckle heads who turn up the intensity and probably go harder than they should. I like the shots of the ones that get kicked in the face and I'm thinking..."keep your hands up" But you can see the realization that they screwed up, but unfortunately they don't correct the mistake because with TKD teaches to kick with the arms down.. Which is weird because they don't kick with their hands down in their forms.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not just trying to argue, but I'm actually against little kids getting cracked in the head for sports & combat sports and I'm very protective of the little kids I teach. Something like this video is OK with me, once in a while, but not harder....b/c their brains are still sloshing around and getting jolted inside their skulls....smacking around.
Fair point. It can be done safely (the sparring part not hitting the head part). You just have to set the rules of where you can strike and how hard. I went back to look at a video of the kids at my old school and I saw that most of them were happy to punch the gloves instead of the hands. The adults didn't mind so long as they were working the techniques by punching their opponent's gloves.

I only remember the moans from kids getting the wind knocked out and jammed fingers. We wanted kids to experience getting hit and kick so that the feeling and sometimes pain wasn't foreign to them, but I don't ever remember encouraging them to go for the face. Unfortunately there are some places that encourage head strikes.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi from a newbie!

My son has just attained his Shodan rank at the age of 13 after 6 years or training. He studies Shotokan Karate. He has been with his present club for 2 1/2 years and his instructors are very well thought of in the community.

Last night, another senior grade (but not an instructor at the club) took the class as the normal instructor was away.

It was my son's first night as a black-belt and he was really looking forward to it.

The issue is that the instructor continually picked on my son all night. He asked him to perform a kata in front of the class, which was great, however, when he finished (he did it really well by the way) he told him that he had been stepping incorrectly throughout the entire routine and performing it all wrong!

He had only graded with this kata (under an 8th Dan Jananese Sensie) two days before. He then went on to tell him he was not doing it correctly and he was being 'dangerous'.

He also completely lost his cool with some very junior members of the club, shouting at them and telling them they were not paying attention! This never happens with the regular instructor. The kids looked completely deflated.

I was an inch away from telling my son to 'bow-out' and simply taking him home.

I know the guy is wrong, but the question is what was his motivation to act that way? Is he hungry for 'power' or is there something else to it? He has taken the class a couple of times before and I have noticed his 'lack of composure and patience'.

Do I mention it to the actual sensie in order that he does not let him train the class again, or do I just keep my mouth shut?

My son also suffers with auditory processing disorder, which makes it difficult for him to hear with any background noise.

The instructor has a foreign accent and is (at times) quite hard to understand.

Just as a bit of background, most of the other adult students also had a look of disappointment on their faces when he stepped up to instruct.

Just don't know what to do for the best. I was the only parent there and so I couldn't really discuss it. Am I making a fuss over nothing? It completely ruined his evening and did nothing to teach the lower grades any respect.

Different instructors have different training methodologies. Some are hard as nails and will scrutinize every detail, others are more layed back.

No one enjoys being told they're doing something wrong. However, if they thoroughly explain what they're doing wrong it shows what they need to work on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Ruby has serious spine injuries.

This isn't from tackling though but from scrums collapsing. Rules have been changed to prevent this happening and injuries have been going down.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This isn't from tackling though but from scrums collapsing. Rules have been changed to prevent this happening and injuries have been going down.
Correct. That's why I put the link to the third video. Sports Science: The Science of the Scrum You tube wouldn't let me embed it. The spinal injury isn't from the impact of being tackled. I'm glad to hear that the change of rules have helped.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To those of us who don't know the games, rugby and cricket both seem like they're making the rules up as they go. Very Calvin and Hobbs.

Is that why you go for the very simple games like American football and baseball? Try Aussie rules football it will blow your mind. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that why you go for the very simple games like American football and baseball? Try Aussie rules football it will blow your mind. :D
Me, I prefer soccer. The rules all make sense. Yeah, it takes three sentences to describe what "off sides" is, but still...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me, I prefer soccer. The rules all make sense. Yeah, it takes three sentences to describe what "off sides" is, but still...

Rugby, a game of thugs plays by gentlemen, football ( soccer to you) a game of gentlemen played by thugs.

Latest Discussions