Back in Asia, just how concerned are they with customs like gi clothing and meditation? Esp in TMA?

Bullsherdog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A criticism I seen by some posters here is the over-emphasis of many traditional martial artists in the West to fethisize customs and Asian culture.

Which I find amusing because on Youtube there are not only Asian immigrants to USA/Canada/Europe who never once don gis when training or practise exotic forms like katas, and strange customs like there, but there are even videos of people in China, Japan, Korea, etc in foreign languages teaching techniques or practising training methods while WEARING a PLAIN T-SHIRT. And often avoiding etiquette like expecting to be called Sensei and stuff like that.

So I am curious if you have martial artists in Asia who could care less about giving a **** about bowing to altars or cleaning swords and spears with religious devotion and just go straight to hitting a heavy bag or lifting weights much like many MMA fans in the west tend to do (the same MMA fans who often diss TMAs)?

Are there things in mainland Asia such as someone not affiliated with a dojo teaching private lessons for a fee like common in the West? Or bully jocks who might practise the physical conditioning part of TMAs and techniques on bag and shadow boxing, but otherwise just go out and pick fights in town rather than memorizing calligraphy or how to do katas?

Do bully issues exist in Asia where a jock athlete beats up smaller nerd using techniques he learned in the dojo like in the West despite the stereotype that TMA teaches self discipline and proper behavior?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A criticism I seen by some posters here is the over-emphasis of many traditional martial artists in the West to fethisize customs and Asian culture.

Which I find amusing because on Youtube there are not only Asian immigrants to USA/Canada/Europe who never once don gis when training or practise exotic forms like katas, and strange customs like there, but there are even videos of people in China, Japan, Korea, etc in foreign languages teaching techniques or practising training methods while WEARING a PLAIN T-SHIRT. And often avoiding etiquette like expecting to be called Sensei and stuff like that.

So I am curious if you have martial artists in Asia who could care less about giving a **** about bowing to altars or cleaning swords and spears with religious devotion and just go straight to hitting a heavy bag or lifting weights much like many MMA fans in the west tend to do (the same MMA fans who often diss TMAs)?

Are there things in mainland Asia such as someone not affiliated with a dojo teaching private lessons for a fee like common in the West? Or bully jocks who might practise the physical conditioning part of TMAs and techniques on bag and shadow boxing, but otherwise just go out and pick fights in town rather than memorizing calligraphy or how to do katas?

Do bully issues exist in Asia where a jock athlete beats up smaller nerd using techniques he learned in the dojo like in the West despite the stereotype that TMA teaches self discipline and proper behavior?
I’ve never been anywhere in Asia nor far-east Asia. But I think it’s quite safe to assume not everyone does everything the same exact way. I’m pretty sure there are very formal dojos, dojos where practically zero formalities exist, and everything in between. Saying “Asians do/don’t do X” would be exactly like saying all Americans do/don’t do X.” The only thing common within every culture and subculture is death and taxes.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Asia isn't monolithic. The JKA Shotokan scene in Japan and the Xingyiquan scene in China are not going to be anything alike in terms of training environment.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

It seems like maybe you are unaware of this...but 'Asia' is an entire continent, full of various countries and cultures.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes the West will adopt romantic versions of Asian martial arts that go further than actual Asians will go.

Weaboo is a term used for them.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My training uniform consists of a t-shirt and track pants, and the only formality is starting and ending each lesson with the fist in palm salute, even then it is done without much fuss.

Latest Discussions