Back after a long break

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there. This is a really good forum and as you can see my first post. I have recently returned to TKD after a 15 year break.....yep you read right 15 years. I have joined a local club after some research and its associated to the same association I was a member of all those years ago.

Its slowly but surely coming back to me but boy am I slow and my really need to work on my stretching. Carrying a few extra pounds that I plan o shift which I hope will help me get a bit quicker. Any suggestions regarding the stretching would be appreciated.

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo Association of Great Britain (TAGB) Been back about a month now and trying to remember all the patterns. Slowly but surley. Really getting back into it.

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, what do you mean what was I learning? Do you mean what grade was I? I was 5th Kup. I was a lot faster then

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back. You are not alone. I studied in an ITF school as a child/young adult, then stopped and was out for 25 years. I recently started again, this time with a WTF school. I feel your pain about the extra weight and lost felxibilty. This was sure a lot easier the first time around.
Just to complicate things, I set myself the goal or re-learning the Chang Hon forms at the same time that I learn the Palgwe forms (used in this school) and the taegeuk forms (required by KKW).

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
I too have set myself a goal (grading at Christmas) but I really am finding it hard to practice on my own. Learn a lot more and quicker when someone is spotting me and pointing out the mistakes. That way I dont keep practicing the same mistake over and over.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, what do you mean what was I learning? Do you mean what grade was I? I was 5th Kup. I was a lot faster then

Sorry, bad question on my part-you were 5th kup-you were learning Won Hyo or Yul Guk for your hyung/tul? Do you recall the earlier hyungs/tul? Did you have pre-set one-steps or 3-steps? You mentioned getting back after a break, am just wondering how much you retained over that period of time.

Miles

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi there. This is a really good forum and as you can see my first post. I have recently returned to TKD after a 15 year break.....yep you read right 15 years. I have joined a local club after some research and its associated to the same association I was a member of all those years ago.

Its slowly but surely coming back to me but boy am I slow and my really need to work on my stretching. Carrying a few extra pounds that I plan o shift which I hope will help me get a bit quicker. Any suggestions regarding the stretching would be appreciated.

Take it slow and be patiente, I know how it is, I returned to TKD from a retirement of almost 15 years too.

Manny

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Remember most techniques. I was doing Yul Guk and it was all very vague when I started again but once shown a couple of times it was slowly coming back to me Miles. I,2 and 3 step sparring as well. I would say I have retained the knowledge on how to do most techniques. Its just my fitness and trying to remember all the proper sequences if that makes sense.

I would really benifit by having someone to do some additional training with to sharpen up my patterns and my Korean is reallly bad now.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember most techniques. I was doing Yul Guk and it was all very vague when I started again but once shown a couple of times it was slowly coming back to me Miles. I,2 and 3 step sparring as well. I would say I have retained the knowledge on how to do most techniques. Its just my fitness and trying to remember all the proper sequences if that makes sense.

I would really benifit by having someone to do some additional training with to sharpen up my patterns and my Korean is reallly bad now.

In a little time you will find that TKD is like ride a bicicle, once you learn you never forgot it. When I returned TKD I had mind flashes of the taeguks, so it has been not so difficult put them togheter.

Be careful, I'm 41 and have a little over weight afther so many years of sedentarism, mi health has improved in the last couple of yeras but I suffer injures, take it slow and don't matter your brain says YES YOU CAN, YOU DID IT BEFORE, listen to your body instead.

Manny

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The old Jhoon Rhee books are available very cheaply used, and they cover all of the ITF hyungs. They are great for just checking with on occasion if you find yourself wondering about front stance/back stance at a given point and such, or remembering the # of moves and what the names mean ;)

You may also find that doing 20 pushups and 20 situps every morning, and adding one each per day, is a great way to get your body back to TKD shape as well. After a month you'll be at 50/50 and you'll be starting every day feeling a lot more fit and alive because of that early workout :)

And Welcome Back!

jim

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back to Tae Kwon Do sawyer! Hope you continue to enjoy your training. Keep working on the fitness & flexibility, you'll get there. Just don't try to do too much too soon, slow and steady is the name of the game where flexibility & stretching exercises are concerned.

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Thaks for all the advice and support. Will let you all know how I get on in the coming months.

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back!! If you're not certain about the forms or how you're doing things then don't practice them at home yet (don't want to ingrain mistakes). Spend your time outside of class working on strength, endurance, stretch, etc. That'll be a huge help - especially as we age!! Have fun with it and don't expect too much of yourself right off.

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
All great advice. Thank you. Any one ever used a leg stretching machine to improve there flexibility?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All great advice. Thank you. Any one ever used a leg stretching machine to improve there flexibility?

Yes I have (more than 20 years ago) & they will help you stretch. However, the one's like Bill Wallace sells for Century: http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Fitness_Stretching/Stretching/Versaflex.aspx only stretch certain muscles & not others. So, you have a very expensive piece of equipment that you only use for one thing.

I'd highly recommend this book &/or the dvd for ideas about good stretching for your whole body. http://www.turtlepress.com/Ultimate_Flexibility_Stretching_for_Martial_Arts_DVD_p/181.html

All my best to you!

OP
S

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that was the sort of thingI waslooking at. Realistically what would they help you achieve?

Latest Discussions