Average price for instruction

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Originally posted by KENPO_CORY
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Man, I'm undercharging ........ Im gonna start a new rate immediately!

Thats exacly what my insructor said after i told him the prices i saw on here. :soapbox:

So tell him that since you so generously pointed out the change and will be singlehandedly responsible for him making more money that he should keep you at your current rate, If i were a businessman thats what i would do, but i dont know how much the word business translates into owning/operating a studio.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nate_Hoopes

So tell him that since you so generously pointed out the change and will be singlehandedly responsible for him making more money that he should keep you at your current rate, If i were a businessman thats what i would do, but i dont know how much the word business translates into owning/operating a studio.

Well, i just signed another contract for a year, so at least for the next year ill still be paying the original 50 dollars a month. He's only going to raise it by 10 dollars a month which still isnt bad. But ill try you advice, thank you.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Man GD7 I hope you aren't starting a Nation Trend here. Us poor people soon won't be able to afford those coast rates.:sadsong:
Michael

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
At our school we get 5 nights a week, 3 days a week, plus Saturday classes. I pay A$83.00 per month. Which is equal to about US$43.40 pm. Plus A$110.00 per year, which is US$57.15.

Actually the contract that I am on means that I don't have to pay the $110 dollars per year, that covers me for 3 years.
--Dave

OP
T

tunetigress

Well I am eternally grateful that my Kenpo school provides private lessons at a time of my convenience, or I likely never would have been able to keep it in my schedule in the first place. I feel free to wring as much value out of my approx. $80 Cdn per month expenditure as I have the time and/or energy to invest. There's an ample array of groups, classes and training sessions that I can choose to attend or not, according to my time and interest. My Kenpo is what I need it and want to be, for my own reasons, and I continue to find it a tremendous value in terms of personal benefit, for every paltry Canadian Dollar I have invested in it to date! Respectfully, _(_)_ Tune

OP
R

Rob_Broad

When I was running a full time school I charged $55.00 a month plus G.S.T. ofcourse(the government always wants their share)

I had the philosphy that I would rather make $2.00 profit per person each month from 100 people that make $200.00 profit from one person. I could have easily jacked up my prices like the local Take One Dough school to $75.00 month but chose to offer better prices to my people.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Who is the Head Instructor of your studio?

:asian:

I'm not sure if this question was directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway.

Our cheif instructor is Master Frank Monea. He teaches Ryukyu Kempo, under the auspices of Dillman's Karate International. He is also affiliated to the Dragon Society International.

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.
Congratulations on your MT belt promotion.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Like so many thngs in the martial arts the cost of tutition is relative to what you feel it is worth. If you are thinking you are being over charged then you are. It is also relative to your region, if you live in an area where everything seems costly martial arts training (a luxury) will be expensive.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As my wise ole Father use to tell me........... It's only worth what they are willing to pay. One will pay a kings ransom ........ another wouldn't study if it were free.

Personally, I feel the same way as an instructor. If you don't feel that I'm worth the information I have .......... then the knowledge that I have is to valuable to give to you.

OP
G

GouRonin

What it is worth is determined by the one who seeks it.

OP
G

GouRonin

...you cannot convince others the lead in your hand is gold by holding more tightly.

Personally, I think that is a bad road to start following. Mr. Parker did a lot to "de-mystify" the martial arts. Sadly, I think many Kenpoists today are reverting to, "I hold the secrets." Again, a reason why I am looking more into Systema, because there are no martial secrets, just hard work.

OP
K

Kirk

A lot of people gave a "shout out" to their own instructors here.
I personally have a ton of respect and liking for my instructor,
who doesn't have a famous foothold in Kenpo. I'd be willing to
bet that you could mention his name to Huk, Jeff Speakman,
Frank Trejo, etc (also Pat Burleson .. he awarded him his TKD
black belt before he'd ever heard of kenpo), and they would
say they know him, but to many kenpoists here, none of you
would. I feel fortunate to study under him. But isn't that how
all of you feel? Do any of you not have respect for your teacher?
I couldn't imagine someone going, "He's an *******, but he
teaches really well".

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

...you cannot convince others the lead in your hand is gold by holding more tightly.

Personally, I think that is a bad road to start following. Mr. Parker did a lot to "de-mystify" the martial arts. Sadly, I think many Kenpoists today are reverting to, "I hold the secrets." Again, a reason why I am looking more into Systema, because there are no martial secrets, just hard work.

Well you never heard me say "I hold the secrets"! There arn't any ........ and like you said just lots of hard work.

I was only talking about worth.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:)

Who is your instructor Kirk?

Mine is guy named Brad Scornavacco, and I doubt anybody here has ever heard of him. His instructor is Mr. Lee Wedlake. He started with him in Chicago and has been with him the whole time. Now he also mixes in Systema classes in addition to the Kenpo. My very first Kenpo instructor is no longer in Kenpo, he spends a lot of time as a cop and gave it up.

That's my kenpo history.

Chuck

Latest Discussions