Australia's new disaster .... Cyclone Yasi

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spare some thoughts for the residents on North Queensland that are about to be hit by a category 5 cyclone, Yasi. For those who can remember we had the city of Darwin destroyed by Cyclone Tracy in 1974. The eye of this storm is bigger than the whole system that caused that devastation. It is 3-4 times bigger than Katrina which destroyed New Orleans. Winds are forecast up to 300 kph and expected to last over the area around Cairns for about 4 hours. On top of all the floods Queensland has suffered recently, they are expecting Yasi to dump between 700mm and 1 metre of rain in the next 4 days. To give some idea of the scale of this system, if it were centred over the US, it would virtually be coast to coast, and is the largest cyclone ever in this region. On top of all this, the tidal surge is expected to be up to 6 metres as well, so a lot of coastal properties don't stand a chance.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw on the news last night that it was heading to where the floods are, thoughts and prayers are indeed with the people there. I wish there was something we could do, makes you feel very small and very helpless when natural disasters strike.

I know you aren't asking but here's how us non Aussies can help a little.
http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/community/Donate-to-the-appeal-for-flood-relief

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the news now live, absolutely terrifying and it hasn't reached it's height yet, people evacuating everywhere, the storm is enormous. There's warnings that the next 24 hours are going to be horrendous, all prayers and thoughts with the people, please let no lives be lost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12342031

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
This pic shows how massive Cyclone Yasi is.

the-size-of-yasi-254155.jpg

A Queenslander left a message for Cyclone Yasi.

kiss-my-yasi-254284.jpg

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not only that, but the aftermath of it making landfall is going to be something indeed. I'll never forget the day Hurricane Ike crossed over Kentucky. Even Iceland got a taste of that one.

* sending calm thoughts your way *

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good thoughts and prayers for everyone.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First reports just coming through. The cyclone missed the major population areas of Cairns and Townsville but has caused major property damage at Tully, Innisfail and Mission Beach. Thankfully there have been no reported deaths or even injury yet which speaks volumes for the professional approach of the emergency services. Thank you for your support.​

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keeping you guys in my thoughts and payers...So much water on top of everything....