Atty. general: Ill. should release FOID card list

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. —
The Illinois attorney general says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

Illinois state police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid.

I'm calling ******** on Lisa Madigan. She has been a long time Opponent of legal gun ownership, and this list has always been held by the ILSP and not been made public.

I worry that making this list public will paint targets on lawful gun owners, by allowing criminals to know which homes have firearms in them, and by allowing asshat anti-gunners who somehow feel it is their right to protest on people's lawns to target the homes of gun owners as well.

Or maybe It won't... but I don't see why it is the AP's business anyhow.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
oye...
do they also publish licensed drivers?

I would not very much like to be listed as gun owner, thank you very much.
What purpose is that supposed to serve anyway? So you can look up if you can harass your neighbor without fear of lead poisoning? Or tho opposite...
(don't people have important things to do, I mean, REALLY important issues? Ah, silly me...)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me for being too right wing, but doesn`t the constitution guarnatee everyone the right to own a firearm unless they are barred by law? (Convicted felons etc)

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excuse me for being too right wing, but doesn`t the constitution guarnatee everyone the right to own a firearm unless they are barred by law? (Convicted felons etc)

Something I have been arguing for a LONG time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The Illinois FOID doesn't stop anyone from owning a gun. It is a registry of gun owners.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

What is a FOID card? The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois. Who needs a FOID card? Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm calling ******** on Lisa Madigan. She has been a long time Opponent of legal gun ownership, and this list has always been held by the ILSP and not been made public.

I worry that making this list public will paint targets on lawful gun owners, by allowing criminals to know which homes have firearms in them, and by allowing asshat anti-gunners who somehow feel it is their right to protest on people's lawns to target the homes of gun owners as well.

Or maybe It won't... but I don't see why it is the AP's business anyhow.

I can say that having been born and raised in Illinois, and having had an FOID card at the tender age of 10, I'm against them. I don't have one now (don't live in Illinois) and never will again. I don't register guns and I certainly don't register myself as a gun owner.

However, having said that, generally information collected by the government is subject to public scrutiny. And according to this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-card-list-20110301,0,6114050.story?track=rss

We're talking about names and dates here, not addresses, phone numbers, social security numbers, etc.

Through the Freedom of Information Act, The Associated Press requested in September the names of each FOID cardholder in the state and the expiration date of each card. State police denied the request, prompting the public access counselor's intervention.

"The General Assembly has clearly determined that it is in the public interest to provide a system for identifying those who are qualified to acquire or possess firearms through the issuance of FOID cards," assistant public access counselor Matthew Rogina wrote. "The public, therefore, has a legitimate interest in ISP's enforcement of the FOID card act."

The attorney general indicated that addresses and telephone numbers of cardholders should remain private information.
Frankly, though, I think this should serve to let gun owners know - do not register your guns. This is what happens. Do not believe promises by liberals; they claim they will not come for your guns if you just obey some common-sense rules, but they lie. Oh boy do they lie. They want your gun, they're going to get your gun. If you register your firearm, if you have a CCW and you're not a law enforcement officer, you're asking for trouble. In my humble opinion, you'd going to get it. The question is not 'if', the question is 'when'.

I do not register guns. I do not register myself as a gun owner. The government can go pound sand.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently Lisa Madigan gave the State Police an Ultimatum and said they have until Monday to release the info.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'd be surprised just how badly a creative person can mess up someone's life by getting them on mailing lists.....

I think I mentioned a time or two I am getting more devious as I get older? :D

There are a lot of fun things one can get in the mail....bare minimum it's an annoyance..

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way guys, you may not be aware of this, but the state you live in sells your driver's license information. Every state, to the best of my knowledge. A company wishing to send junk mail can buy a list from the state of every licensed driver; or they can slice and dice any way they wish in terms of zip codes within the state, all men, all women, etc, etc. Then they take the data, create mailing labels, and send the junk mail. I know, I used to work for a company in Colorado that did exactly that. I took the tapes, dumped the data, genderized and de-duped it, zip+4'd it, and created the labels. Your information, including your home address, is for sale. You did know that, right?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way guys, you may not be aware of this, but the state you live in sells your driver's license information. Every state, to the best of my knowledge. A company wishing to send junk mail can buy a list from the state of every licensed driver; or they can slice and dice any way they wish in terms of zip codes within the state, all men, all women, etc, etc. Then they take the data, create mailing labels, and send the junk mail. I know, I used to work for a company in Colorado that did exactly that. I took the tapes, dumped the data, genderized and de-duped it, zip+4'd it, and created the labels. Your information, including your home address, is for sale. You did know that, right?
It's not that we don't know it; it's just what we have come to expect.:)