Attackers who are high level Martial Artists

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
rmcpeek said:
1.) I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but I haven't come across very many people in my years that walk around saying "Don't mess with me, I'm a Black Belt.".

2.) I have come across plenty of people who say "Don't mess with me" and even with my years of training and experience both in the dojo and on the street, sometimes it's better not to mess with them and walk away.

3.) In no way am I saying that I might fear these individuals, because I do not, but is it worth the trouble? or hassle? or lawsuits? Whether they're an experienced Black Belt with a bad attitude as you've described in the initial post here, or they're a streetfighter, does it matter?

4.) Rember this, no matter what style you practice, no matter how much experience you have, there is and always will be someone BETTER than you.
1.) Yeah, most of the time I ignore them.

2.) Ditto to the first-however many of my juvenile students were irriated by others whom had studied and reached that level. (BTW-my juveniles do not get tested for a Black Belt rank until 18-17 if they have the maturity)

3.) Lawsuits, had a coupe of those. Best to avoid the confrontation all together then to spend countles time and money in court.

4.) Yes, and I do not advocate to go around and find out whom.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Working on the basis that you wouldnt get attacked by a high level martial artist, because they SHOULDNT do it, is not a good line of logic.I figure you should try and train to deal with as many eventualities as possible, one of these being that you're opponent might have some real skill.Sparring against high levels and really forcing them to put in some effort is a good way of training for that.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
An Eternal Student said:
Working on the basis that you wouldnt get attacked by a high level martial artist, because they SHOULDNT do it, is not a good line of logic.I figure you should try and train to deal with as many eventualities as possible, one of these being that you're opponent might have some real skill.Sparring against high levels and really forcing them to put in some effort is a good way of training for that.
Excellent point.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know a friend who is much like that. I remember first training with him. When I was a yellow belt, the first injury I ever got from him was a kick to the head & my mouth bled. He's one of those types that uses high degrees of attacks to all levels of belts. In a way, you could say he is "merciless." One time during sparring, he tried to twist another friend of mine's neck. As you can imagine, he seriously got a butt chewing with our head master.

Anyways, it isn't fun to deal with that in anyone's martial arts training.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:
I know a friend who is much like that. I remember first training with him. When I was a yellow belt, the first injury I ever got from him was a kick to the head & my mouth bled. He's one of those types that uses high degrees of attacks to all levels of belts. In a way, you could say he is "merciless." One time during sparring, he tried to twist another friend of mine's neck. As you can imagine, he seriously got a butt chewing with our head master.

Anyways, it isn't fun to deal with that in anyone's martial arts training.
Butt chewing, we would have had him soar woth someone else more tougher and gave him a dose, THEN chewed his butt.:erg:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Butt chewing, we would have had him soar woth someone else more tougher and gave him a dose, THEN chewed his butt.:erg:
I remember the first time my instructor pulled me aside and told me to really belt someone I was sparring against, for exactly this reason.

It was also the last time. I wasn't really comfortable being anyones 'enforcer'.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Adept said:
I remember the first time my instructor pulled me aside and told me to really belt someone I was sparring against, for exactly this reason.

It was also the last time. I wasn't really comfortable being anyones 'enforcer'.
Nah, not an enforcer. Just a eye-opener. Or a lesson of humiliation. Not an actual/physical beating.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
And occasionaly even the instructors can turn out to be the one with the ego who like to show off their skills. Luckily i have never met anyone like this.
Ive ran into a few of these in my life, sadly one of them was once a good friend of mine who started martial arts more or less at the same time I did. When he opened up his school, he would beat the snot out of all his lower level students, not to teach them that the techniques worked but to show them how far more superior he was and to make them believe he was this badass fighter, in reality he was mediocre at best. In any event, these guys are the worst in my opinion, one thing is to demonstrate to your students that the techniques work, so they understand what they are doing, and to have them spar, and sure that can involve some pain for them, but another thing is to all out abuse them so they dont question your authority--this is just plain wrong.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Ive ran into a few of these in my life, sadly one of them was once a good friend of mine who started martial arts more or less at the same time I did. When he opened up his school, he would beat the snot out of all his lower level students, not to teach them that the techniques worked but to show them how far more superior he was and to make them believe he was this badass fighter, in reality he was mediocre at best. In any event, these guys are the worst in my opinion, one thing is to demonstrate to your students that the techniques work, so they understand what they are doing, and to have them spar, and sure that can involve some pain for them, but another thing is to all out abuse them so they dont question your authority--this is just plain wrong.
That is a huge ego...

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have met many "mean" BB guys. they will purposely pick fights with people so they can show their skills and get a reputation. bunch of idiots. I have seen some get beaten down so badly for starting fights with the wrong people (ie gang members, groups of country folk, etc)
another well known high ranking master to have fought a lot: Angel Cabales for starters, Ueshiba is the most shocking, the gracie family, Takematsu, and most other grandmasters.

The only time this strategy is used in the BJJ schools i've gone to is when the people come in that are exactly what this thread is about. some guy comes in and says he is the best and can beat everyone, the instructor usually pairs him with a good white belt. the white belt beats him, and they go back to nice guys.

C

chris...

Our instructors have taken me down or locked me up plenty of times for demonstrations or instructing purposes, likewise I have done the same to them. It looks painfull but its actually not cause we use just enough to start the pain and also tap out to avoid going to far. I think its a good form of training nobody gets hurt and you practually learn how use the techniques in real-life

C

chris...

I highly doubt it they dont seem the type, and if anyone does they never talk about it. Our instructor said he'd throw people out of his club if he heard about anyone doing that

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chris... said:
I highly doubt it they dont seem the type, and if anyone does they never talk about it. Our instructor said he'd throw people out of his club if he heard about anyone doing that
But your posts seem to be off topic. It is about people who attack or bully others with their martial art skills.

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about highly skilled, but criminals do practice martial arts. I'm a police officer, and I know for a fact that criminal practice disarming police officers in prison. The techniques used in some of the stuff I have seen in my years of working as a correctional, and police officer is martial arts. In the 9/11 attacks it was found out that the hijackers learn close quarter fighting at a school in the U.S.. I have been in a couple of fights with martial arts criminal, and one tried to disarm me of my weapon.

While in a foot chase with a burglary suspect I was able to trip the suspect, and he put his hands under his body. Since an officer can't see your hands they would pull their weapon. I a flash the suspect was off the ground and grabbed my weapon. He had it in a way that I couldn't low the weapon down to him to shoot, unload the weapon, or even fire the weapon. It looked well practiced, but he wasn't prepared for a persons will to surive. He went from trying to get the weapon to just hanging on so he wouldn't get shot.

Due to my training, and will to live to see my family is greater than a common thug. Because of the Criminal Martial Artist, the true Artist needs to be prepared Phyically, Mentally, and Spiritually. This is what we have over the common thug.

http://groups.msn.com/PukulanTjimindeMalay/homepage.msnw

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GuruJim1 said:
Well, I don't know about highly skilled, but criminals do practice martial arts. I'm a police officer, and I know for a fact that criminal practice disarming police officers in prison. The techniques used in some of the stuff I have seen in my years of working as a correctional, and police officer is martial arts. In the 9/11 attacks it was found out that the hijackers learn close quarter fighting at a school in the U.S.. I have been in a couple of fights with martial arts criminal, and one tried to disarm me of my weapon.

While in a foot chase with a burglary suspect I was able to trip the suspect, and he put his hands under his body. Since an officer can't see your hands they would pull their weapon. I a flash the suspect was off the ground and grabbed my weapon. He had it in a way that I couldn't low the weapon down to him to shoot, unload the weapon, or even fire the weapon. It looked well practiced, but he wasn't prepared for a persons will to surive. He went from trying to get the weapon to just hanging on so he wouldn't get shot.

Due to my training, and will to live to see my family is greater than a common thug. Because of the Criminal Martial Artist, the true Artist needs to be prepared Phyically, Mentally, and Spiritually. This is what we have over the common thug.

http://groups.msn.com/PukulanTjimindeMalay/homepage.msnw
Of course criminals practice MA. Just the same they acquire burgulary tools and firearms.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thread has it to be knoe that such can exist. But there is not a cure-all to prevent it.

It will be like mandating more firearm laws.

As if a criminal will abide by these laws.

Criminlas are that-law-breakers...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Not too sure what you're looking for here.

High Level...to me...means not only technical proficiency,but also a kind of spiritual maturity that is noticable with very senior practitioners. I highly doubt you would find anyone like that attacking you out of the blue.

All of the "higher ups" I have met,regardless of style,seem to be the most kind,humble,and truely open-minded people I have ever had the honor of meeting.
Man, I sure wish my experience matched yours! I've encountered more than a few highly trained experts who were narcissists and egomaniacs of the worst sort.

I do agree with your assessment of "high level". Fighting proficiency alone doesn't make a person a "master". "Master", to me, at least, implies first a mastery of self.

Regarding the original question; yes, it's very possible to encounter a well trained fighter on the street. Something to keep at the back of your mind but I personally am more concerned with the possibility of encountering a 16 year old with a handgun and no conscience.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:

Good for you for recognizing the problem with this request. Had you been comfortable with being a "payback" person, you would be, at least partly, on your way to becoming one of those martial artists this thread was started to address.

Latest Discussions