Atlas Shrugged

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Bighollywood.com, the movie version of Atlas Shrugged is in post production and should be finished by January 2011.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't wait. Too bad it is being directed/written by a tv guy. I hope it turns out great but it could also be a mishandled disaster with a cheap tv look coutesy of One Tree Hill guy.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Peter Jackson was able to do the Lord of the Rings justice, so there is always hope. Does anyone know if the director had a real passion for the material, or was this just another movie to direct. It seems that when the director has a passion for the source material, Spiderman, Lord of the Rings for example the movies have a chance. When the director wants to do his interpretation of the source material, never having known it before he was picked to direct, it turns out mediocre at best.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Atlas Shrugged has been on my list of books to read for a while. I'd like to do so before seeing the movie. I wonder if the movie will capture the essence of what has put the book on the must read list. Unlike the director of the movie Starship Troopers, Paul Verhoeven, hopefully the director of Atlas Shrugged will actually read the book.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved starship troopers when I was a kid. In fact, I took it to basic training with me and it was confiscated during an inspection. I really hope they do a real version of that movie with someone who loved the book. With the special effects they have now, they could really do it right. Just imagine the mobile infantry on the big screen.

You know, You might want to get the audio version, un-abridged, if you can find it. That is the way I did it and it was pretty good.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, I am waiting for my brother to come over and show me the method to direct link. You may have to go to Breitbart.com and click on the Bighollywood tab at the top. They give you a link to the movie site as well.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a little video on the making of the movie. Yes the director has a passion for it, but he's still a TV actor from a bad teen drama on the WB (One Tree Hill), the type of show that's all melodrama. It's gonna be done in 2 parts it seems and I do so hope that the first part works as a film so we might have a chance of getting to see the rest, but it does have a cheap look to it.

My favorite book, my favorite author so I hope for nothing but the best ... but I'm still worried about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite book, my favorite author so I hope for nothing but the best ... but I'm still worried about it.

Nice link thank you.
One of my favorite Authors, but I still think her best book was The Fountainhead
If they can make LOTR, they can make AS.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in high school I came up with a pretty decent way to get most of it into a 3 hour movie that could work.

Though I've said it before and I'll say it always, to adapt books properly (especially epics) the perfect medium is the mini series. AS as a 6 hour 3 part mini would get pretty much the whole thing in.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I can't imagine how it could possibly translate into film. And a trilogy? No, thanks. Like EH said, the monologue would be like the entire third movie.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a little video on the making of the movie. Yes the director has a passion for it, but he's still a TV actor from a bad teen drama on the WB (One Tree Hill), the type of show that's all melodrama. It's gonna be done in 2 parts it seems and I do so hope that the first part works as a film so we might have a chance of getting to see the rest, but it does have a cheap look to it.

I loved this book. It completely dovetailed into where I was in my life when I read it. One thing I'm doing to deflect any personal disappointment is to tell myself that the movie is just another person's interpretation of the book. It is not THE book. When I go to see it, it will be like a conversation about the book with another person, a conversation where I sit back and listen and take in their point of view.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a very good way to look at it man. I do understand another person's interpretation, plus this is filtered through the screenwriters, director, cinematographer, actors and on and on. By the time a film gets to the general public it's quite the hodgepodge. That is unless you are Polanski, Kubrick, Spielberg, Scorsese, or one of the other greats.

I have a very definite idea of how I would like to see AS done, how it should look, play out, but I'm no film maker. Though I have seriously thought about getting into that field very seriously ... I'm a film fan with a literature degree, it's understandable I guess.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a very good way to look at it man. I do understand another person's interpretation, plus this is filtered through the screenwriters, director, cinematographer, actors and on and on. By the time a film gets to the general public it's quite the hodgepodge. That is unless you are Polanski, Kubrick, Spielberg, Scorsese, or one of the other greats.

I have a very definite idea of how I would like to see AS done, how it should look, play out, but I'm no film maker. Though I have seriously thought about getting into that field very seriously ... I'm a film fan with a literature degree, it's understandable I guess.

Pretty much what I try to tell my kid. You read a book you get to make your own movie in your head.

I do much better with movies I don't know the book to. (I actually passed on a movie though I was kind of anticipating it because I found the book to be soo bad)

Latest Discussions