Atlas Shrugged, Railroads and Warren Buffet

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once again, Reason Foundation makes my day...

http://reason.org/blog/show/atlas-shrugged-railroads-and-w

I couldn't help but notice the irony of Berkshire Hatthaway's $34 billion offer to take Burlington Northern Santa Fe railway private. Berkshire Hathaway is the investment arm of financial mogul Warren Buffet, widely regarded as one of the world's most prescient investors ("The Oracle of Omaha"). Railroads were also the central business of the Taggart family in the famed Ayn Rand novel Atlas Shrugged.
So, is Warren Buffet showing entrepreneurial leadership during a period of increasing government intrusion into the economy?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Buffet is lauded by liberals for saying the rich should be taxed more, but, he lacks the integrity to voluntarily donate his money to the government.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buffet is lauded by liberals for saying the rich should be taxed more, but, he lacks the integrity to voluntarily donate his money to the government.

I think he can be forgiven:

The Warren Buffett donation to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

On June 25, 2006, Warren Buffett (then the world's richest person, estimated worth of US$62 billion as of April 16, 2008) pledged to give the foundation approximately 10 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares spread over multiple years through annual contributions, worth approximately US$30 billion in 2006.[

Latest Discussions