Atheist ad goes up on Billy Graham Parkway

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't view it as just a contrary opinion, they view it as an attack. Thus why I view a civil discussion about religion with a fundamentalist to be an exercise in futility.

And thus, with the defacement, we clearly see that the Pledge is a lie-we are, clearly, one nation, completely divisible-whether we're "under God," or not. :lfao:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose the argument is that while what he was doing may be odd or offensive whatever (depending on your mindset) it does you no physical harm whilst your smoking a cigarette is the cause of passive smoking which does harm people.

I suppose. I did finally quit smoking, but it wasn't because self-righteous people felt justified in getting in my grill about it. Last I heard, it was still legal to smoke in public in most parts of the country. There is no 'right to breathe clean air' or I could have people arrested for farting or wearing too much perfume. However, I am still glad I quit smoking.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose. I did finally quit smoking, but it wasn't because self-righteous people felt justified in getting in my grill about it. Last I heard, it was still legal to smoke in public in most parts of the country. There is no 'right to breathe clean air' or I could have people arrested for farting or wearing too much perfume. However, I am still glad I quit smoking.

I'd go for that! the smoking in public argument is a difficult one because while I don't care whether people smoke or not, their choice, I don't like breathing in second hand smoke. Unlike religious and political arguments which can remain cerebral, the smoking one with potential harm to one side from the other is going to be contentious anytime. Obnoxious or overpowering smells may be unplaesant but don't kill you! Roy Castle Brit entertainer) died from cancer cause by passive smoking.
http://193.63.93.177/rclcrp/research/epidemiology/index.htm

People get passionate about all sorts of things but it doesn't always make them self righteous. I would be unhappy not self righteous if someone was smoking over my children, I'd be upset not self righteous if someone tried to force their religious views on me. If you do no harm to any one else there is no reason for people to complain, do harm and they have a right to, if you're lucky, if not they may just deck you lol!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People get passionate about all sorts of things but it doesn't always make them self righteous. I would be unhappy not self righteous if someone was smoking over my children, I'd be upset not self righteous if someone tried to force their religious views on me. If you do no harm to any one else there is no reason for people to complain, do harm and they have a right to, if you're lucky, if not they may just deck you lol!

I heard a comedian once who noted that an incensed person had approached him and said "You know, second-hand smoke kills people." The comedian replied, "Yeah, but not reliably enough to be used as a weapon, damn it."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard a comedian once who noted that an incensed person had approached him and said "You know, second-hand smoke kills people." The comedian replied, "Yeah, but not reliably enough to be used as a weapon, damn it."

Incense is just as bad as fags. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about those nasty clove cigarettes? And here in Michigan, we've got hookah bars. Nasty, but at least I don't have to go in them.

My daughter lived in Dubai for a while and said the hookah is popular there, supposed to making smoking literally cooler. I've never smoked so am not up with types of cigarettes, my other half is a pipe man which smells pleasant and sends little smoke up especially as he smokes in in the garden lol, his choice I add, never asked him to!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My daughter lived in Dubai for a while and said the hookah is popular there, supposed to making smoking literally cooler. I've never smoked so am not up with types of cigarettes, my other half is a pipe man which smells pleasant and sends little smoke up especially as he smokes in in the garden lol, his choice I add, never asked him to!

Detroit/Dearborn metro area has a huge Middle-Eastern population, so many things like hookahs are popular here. It's not a cigarette, it's a big ol' water pipe with a bunch of hoses coming from it. People sit around and toke; they use tobacco in the legal ones.

I tried a pipe years ago when I smoked; problem was that I didn't get my nicotine as much and I learned one has to have a rack of pipes due to the bowls getting wet and needing to be dried out. Too much of a PITA for me. Pipe smoke smells nice, though.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a non-believer myself, I really can't understand how people work themselves up into such a lather about what other people think of their imaginary friend.

Oh yeah? Well, my imaginary friend can beat up your imaginary friend! So there! :wakko:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Well, my imaginary friend can beat up your imaginary friend! So there! :wakko:

No! There is only one imaginary friend, and his name is Fred!

My imaginary friend is omnipotent and omniscient, so even if there was another imaginary friend (which there isn't), it couldn't beat up Fred. I'm just sooo happy that Fred likes to talk to me and tell me what to do.

Latest Discussions