MA. Gov. Objects To Condom Plan

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37892527/ns/us_news/

BOSTON - Gov. Deval Patrick used his bully pulpit Thursday to call the superintendent of a Cape Cod school district and urge her to revise a new policy allowing even elementary school students to receive free condoms without the knowledge of their parents.
The new policy makes condoms available to all Provincetown public school students and takes effect in the fall. Under the policy, any student requesting a condom from a school nurse must first receive counseling, which includes information on abstinence.

Thoughts?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick, a Democrat seeking re-election this year against a field including two conservative opponents...

Otherwise, I can't see Gov. Patrick caring one way or the other.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to wonder...can a middle or high school student walk into a planned parenthood facility and get condoms? Can the same, walk into the local grocery store, head to the self checkout and purchase condoms? All of course, without parent notification.

IMHO, kids will have sex, whether a parent, teacher or Gov. likes it or not. Unless every single household drilled it into their kids head, that sex is some taboo thing, its probably going to happen. I do feel however, that someone, be it a parent, nurse, teacher, etc., should talk to kids about sex, about birthcontrol, the various methods of it, how to properly use it, etc.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMHO, kids will have sex, whether a parent, teacher or Gov. likes it or not. Unless every single household drilled it into their kids head, that sex is some taboo thing, its probably going to happen.

I agree with you except for this part. Making something taboo, as much as it might satisfy your feelings on the matter, does not work. Taboo -> forbidden - > exciting. The best strategy seems to be to give kids as much information as they need to make an informed choice, and impress on them the need for safe sex.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you except for this part. Making something taboo, as much as it might satisfy your feelings on the matter, does not work. Taboo -> forbidden - > exciting. The best strategy seems to be to give kids as much information as they need to make an informed choice, and impress on them the need for safe sex.

Just for clarification, I'm certainly not against telling kids about sex. I encourage it. My point, was simply that there're some people who think its bad, its wrong, its this or that, and say nothing to their kids. That is wrong IMO. I agree with what you said...the more its kept a "forbidden secret" the more tempting its gonna be.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to wonder...can a middle or high school student walk into a planned parenthood facility and get condoms? Can the same, walk into the local grocery store, head to the self checkout and purchase condoms? All of course, without parent notification.

They can here... we have no age restriction on Condom purchases like we do on Alcohol and Spray Paint.

LOL.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can here... we have no age restriction on Condom purchases like we do on Alcohol and Spray Paint.

LOL.

LOL! So, if thats the case, then I dont know why the gov has his panties in a twist. LOL!

And AFAIK, theres no age restriction here either. :D

Latest Discussions