At home practitioners?

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have done anyactive martial arts. I believe the last time I trained I was 16 years old. I am now 23 with the ambition to take up where I left off before going to any certified school. I am not flexible as I used to be but I know I can get better with time. Any advice for training at home?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have done anyactive martial arts. I believe the last time I trained I was 16 years old. I am now 23 with the ambition to take up where I left off before going to any certified school. I am not flexible as I used to be but I know I can get better with time. Any advice for training at home?
Go to a school. Alternatively, train what you remember and what you are confident to train yourself (without the risk of getting bad habits and injuries).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a school. Sign up for classes. Attend. You cannot reasonably expect to do much good at home on your own.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said, go to a school. Yes you can practice at home, but you need to know what to practice. If you want to prepare at home before going to classes, you can do some general fitness stuff (press-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc) but aside from that, most schools have very specific ways of training their techniques, and you could go in thinking you have the right idea and end up with a lot of bad habits from practising on your own.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the good new is your 23 not 53, so you wont have any of the impingements' and posture imbalance and shorten tendon issues to contend with. The bad new is you won't be starting were you left off. 7 years is a long time away and you will have to build up your fitness including flexability again. This should only take you a few week, dependent on how much exercise you have been doing in the mean time

flexability at your age should be down to the nervous system limiting the range of motion to what it considers as normal. It's just a matter of deprogramming it and establishing new boundaries. You can easily do this before you gp if you wish with simple exercises. Have,a search on you tube. But id just go and take it from there,

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Do you mean training to get your stretching back? If so, you can Google stretching exercises and find a bazillion.

If you mean training to get martial arts skills back, you can do forms and shadow box and hit heavy bags and so on...but of course, that all comes after you have signed up at a school and gone back to classes. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Get a jump rope and use it.