Assisting Pedophiles & the Destruction of Childhood

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Who knows? It says it was labeled as 18+ and doesn't go much more specific.

Well... because it is a game... Adults are known to play monopoly and it uses play money, as to countless other games. Which is why this would be a game, meant for multiple players, and not a excercise program...

Like R rated movies in a video store? Or gangsta rap in the music store? Or Adult video games in the video game department? or sexy underwear in the clothing section?

I am guessing at this point I should just say, we will not agree and let it go.

later

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe they are targeting adults, and maybe they ain't. But that pole in the picture that Carol Kaur posted doesn't look like it's going to support an adult woman. I'm just sayin'.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
go to the companies website, the poll extends floor to ceiling. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it could be close in sturdiness to doorway mounted chin up bars.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
go to the companies website, the poll extends floor to ceiling. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it could be close in sturdiness to doorway mounted chin up bars.

I'm no engineer, but if it's floor to ceiling that width seems awfully flimsy for load-bearing. Unless it's made of carbon nanotubes or something. Either that or the phony dollars are really wide.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, since we are all just guessing here, we got no idea what the "excercise" are. I would guess that as this is a game being marketed to general public as a party game nothing to fancy is done. But, look at the website, all adults, no kids. Look like there are even some videos there. Have a look before claiming it is "Aimed at kids"

I would guess that the average 8 year old wouldn't even be able to set a floor to ceiling poll up without help...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Apparently this part of the article was missed

Tesco agreed to remove the product from the Toy section , but said it will remain on sale as a Fitness Accessory.

Which could be interpreted as it was originally not sold as a Fitness Accessory.

But then again I am just guessing.

The article also talks about Asda being forced to remove from sale pink and black lace lingerie, including a push-up bra to 9 year old girls too.

But that too has not been mentioned here.

Either way I am going to maintain it is just wrong what Tesco did and it is certainly wrong what Asda has done as well.

I do not believe either was assisting pedophiles but it is certainly setting a very bad example for children and I agree with "the Destruction of Childhood label of the post.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's two different issues. One is clothing marketed at kids, the second is a game / fitness equipment marketed at adults.

But type "Peekaboo pole dancing" into google images, see if you see anything that looks like it is targeting kids.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not to repeat myself but

Tesco agreed to remove the product from the Toy section , but said it will remain on sale as a Fitness Accessory.

Which could be interpreted as it was originally not sold as a Fitness Accessory.

Therefore the problem has been rectified by Tesco so you will not find it anywhere else. And it would also now have a disclaimer for adults only.

None of us know if it had that disclaimer before or not and if it did then they just should have been more careful where it was placed and they should not be vilified but they should be told to be more careful. But if they did not then they are way wrong and deserve all the bad press they get.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So where should they put them?

If the 4 adult aimed games are not to be grouped with the games aimed at every other age group then where do they go?

Are violent games and gambling games different? Is it just games with sexual content that should be moved?

What bothers me is the blame game. Someone else is always responsible for corrupting the youth. Stores are there to sell products that people want, make them easy to find, and make money. That's what they do.

The logical place for a game would seem to be the games section would it not? And if they created a adult section I'd guess there would be outrage over that too. No win situation really.

And should sex be so taboo that stores can't sell things that are sex related?

And how is this different then selling condoms? Because it promotes sex as something fun rather then medical?
I already addressed most of these points in my previous posts, so I won't bother with redundancy, rather your ability to read what I've posted.

The logical place, of course, for adult games to be, is on a page with a click-through disclaimer to a section of adult games.

In the states, games and toys have an age rating - do they not in the UK or Canada? I don't think putting up one more tab for the grownups will hurt anyone and may protect them from this kind of thing in the future with the click-through.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, I want to help with the mind changing. Can I please, please? Look, the people who came up with the idea of pole dancing for 8 yr olds should be shot and hung.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I want to help with the mind changing. Can I please, please? Look, the people who came up with the idea of pole dancing for 8 yr olds should be shot and hung.

But there is the problem, no one did. The article said someone did, but no one did. Look at the companies website, do a search for the product name. This is not meant for kids, only a article sensationalizing things to get a mob reaction and get read.

But, if someone can show marketing material that is aiming this at 8-year olds by all means, lets see it. One misleading article doesn't count.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
quote=MA-Caver

HA! More likely people don't act upon them because they knew how much trouble they'd get into if they did. Thus they're more aware and afraid of the consenquences than they are of their own inner-most desires/complusions.

That could certainly be part of it.

The sex-offenders I had worked with (at first) didn't realize or care about the harm their compulsions would've caused they were more interested in their own self-gratification. Later (thankfully) they were made to understand the harm they caused and made to empathize the hurt they caused. Most of them I assume got "rehabilitated" because they knew they'd go to prison for a very long time if they re-offended.

Well, they are sex offenders only because they acted upon their desires. How many people do you suppose are walking around with inappropriate thoughts, but who never act upon them, never hurt anybody, and never get into trouble? We'll never know.

Sometimes it takes years for a person's "inner-most" desires to manifest themselves. That "braving the fire" enough to stick your hand in to get what you want... that can take a while to build up with some people. Thus we become shocked when the neighbor next door is arrested for pedophilia.

Yes, also true, but until it happens, we will never know, unless the person exhibits some other signs of things to come. But this can be subtle and often not easy to spot, except in hindsight, after the fact.

Society here in America says that it's wrong for a child to act in a sexual manner (with each other or with an adult). Society in Thailand says it's okay.

Hmm... I think Thailand is cracking down on pedophiles quite a bit now. A lot of it has to do with the US prodding it to take a stronger stance against sex turists, but the bottom line seems to be that it is a universal standard that it is inappropriate for children to be sexually active. The actual limits and boundaries may be different from culture to culture, but there is a sense that sexual contact between adults and children is wrong.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now you’re not going to excommunicate me are you :)

As a recovering ex-catholic myself, I'm certainly in no position to excommunicate anybody.
icon12.gif

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Look at the companies website, do a search for the product name. This is not meant for kids, only a article sensationalizing things to get a mob reaction and get read.

But, if someone can show marketing material that is aiming this at 8-year olds by all means, lets see it. One misleading article doesn't count.

I suppose no company has any responsibility to market their items appropriately anymore and anyone who thinks otherwise is reactionary. Curious opinion, but ... your opinion, nonetheless.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reference to where you see this product being marketed towards children please.
The item was on a page titled "Children's Toys and Games." That's subtle marketing, but marketing nonetheless.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no, the article doesn't say that. It could easily have been on the "Adult Games" page, which makes more sense the way I read that article. But because they left it vague you are free to assume the worst.

Are the other games under "Adult games" a problem in there current location?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But there is the problem, no one did. The article said someone did, but no one did. Look at the companies website, do a search for the product name. This is not meant for kids, only a article sensationalizing things to get a mob reaction and get read.

I hate to repeat myself again here but...

Therefore the problem has been rectified by Tesco so you will not find it anywhere else. And it would also now have a disclaimer for adults only.

Minor Rant to follow

They have already fixed the problem so searching the site today is a waste of time. You will not find anything wrong, it has already been fixed, it is not there, it will not be seen by anyone that goes there, it is no longer on the page as previously stated, it is am ex-issue as far as Tesco is concerned. They have fixed the problem so continuing to point at the fact that it is not on the page today is not proving anything it is just saying it is not there today so it wasn't there yesterday and per tescos own admission this is not the case it has been removed from were it once was.

Minor Rant over

OK that is as close to a rant as I have been in a while.

I'm done...for now

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not pointing at that page, how about any page, anything coming from the manufacturer that would suggest it is aimed at kids. Any promotional material, any publicity pictures, anything?

If all this was was a minor catalouging error on there website then there is certainly nothing to warrant this moral outrage reaction. But people are claiming it was created and advertised with the purpose of selling it to kids, I see nothing from the manufacturer that would lead to that conclusion at all.

I just see a article that is rather vague and in some ways missleading article. It also looks like it once had it in the "Adult Games" section, but moved it too fitness. (It is not in the adult games section now) The original article also states that it had a adults only classifciation from the beginning.

Latest Discussions