Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bavarian differs from High German in vocabulary, intonation and phonetic characteristics too.

My experiences in Korea travelling with Koreans would indicate that people from different areas of Korea can have problems understanding each other...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Only people from jejudo. Most are different on the same "severity" of British vs. American, but Jejudo vs. Satndard is like Jamaican patois to standard.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a question about Korean terminology

the term 'uke' in Japanese was incorrectly translated as to block, i believe the meaning is actually closer 'to receive'

Was there a similar mistranslation in taekwondo with the term 'makgi'?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not an expert, but I've ready elsewhere that makgi means to interrupt or forestall. So to your point, it doesn't really mean "block" per se. You're not blocking the opponent's attack, you're interrupting it. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the term 'uke' in Japanese was incorrectly translated as to block, i believe the meaning is actually closer 'to receive'

That's interesting. I've never actually heard "uke" used to mean "to block". I've always used "uke" to mean the person receiving the technique, and "ukemi" refers to the body of techniques that person will use (mostly referring to falls and rolls, but also including delivering good attacks, etc.). At least one of those is probably a mistranslation, too. Mind you, we don't use a lot of Japanese in our training, so it may be more commonly used that way than my experience shows.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not an expert, but I've ready elsewhere that makgi means to interrupt or forestall. So to your point, it doesn't really mean "block" per se. You're not blocking the opponent's attack, you're interrupting it. :)
Nah, it just means blocking. We. Must. Be Accurate. Dangit.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never actually heard "uke" used to mean "to block". I've always used "uke" to mean the person receiving the technique, and "ukemi" refers to the body of techniques that person will use (mostly referring to falls and rolls, but also including delivering good attacks, etc.). At least one of those is probably a mistranslation, too. Mind you, we don't use a lot of Japanese in our training, so it may be more commonly used that way than my experience shows.
The Japanese names of the "blocks"* in karate generally include the word "uke", as in "Jodan Uke" (upper block).
jodan_uke.jpg

I think the literal translation is something closer to "receive", as in you are receiving the punch and handling it appropriately. For arts in the jujutsu family of course, uke is the person receiving the technique being demonstrated.

*(If you read enough threads in the Karate forums you will see there is considerable debate regarding the "correct" meaning and application of these techniques. Are they blocks, strikes, parries, grappling techniques hidden in the bunkai, all of the above, something else? Opinions vary widely.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*(If you read enough threads in the Karate forums you will see there is considerable debate regarding the "correct" meaning and application of these techniques. Are they blocks, strikes, parries, grappling techniques hidden in the bunkai, all of the above, something else? Opinions vary widely.)

A lot of us just think they are there to be used in whichever way is the most effective at the time you need them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Japanese names of the "blocks"* in karate generally include the word "uke", as in "Jodan Uke" (upper block).
jodan_uke.jpg

I think the literal translation is something closer to "receive", as in you are receiving the punch and handling it appropriately. For arts in the jujutsu family of course, uke is the person receiving the technique being demonstrated.

Interesting. Both my Karate instructors (lo, those many years ago) used English names for everything.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
(Before you ask, check my profile)
I posted this on the culture section earlier, but nobody goes there, ever. I have been going around correcting things in Korean language discussions, and turns out, people appreciate them thanks to the sheer number of people who do taekwondo on the forum. Yeah... So ask me stuff about the Korean language including taekwondo vocab. Thanks.
Can you translate Hyunas smash hit, Bubble Pop, in its entirety?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
풀이 puri - explanation

That's what the KTA is using for "Taekwondo Poomsae Explanation".

I don't know what book you are referring to but Grandmaster Kang Ik-pil's book "The explanation of official Taekwondo poomsae II" is titled in Korean "태권도 공인품새 해설" (Taekwondo Kongin Poomsae Haeseol) means literally Taekwondo official-poomsae explanation/commentary/interpretation.

The equivalent word for Bunkai is definitely Boonhae. From my understanding those involved in creating the Kukkiwon poomsae have stated that there are no hidden applications beyond the movements present, so while the word is there, the hidden applications that people think of as Bunkai have no direct equivalent.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what book you are referring to but Grandmaster Kang Ik-pil's book "The explanation of official Taekwondo poomsae II" is titled in Korean "태권도 공인품새 해설" (Taekwondo Kongin Poomsae Haeseol) means literally Taekwondo official-poomsae explanation/commentary/interpretation.

I'm referring to the "KTA Taekwondo Poomsae Application" (KTA 태권도 품새 풀이) book:

KTA 태권도 품새풀이 (QR)

Same publisher as the book from Kang Ik-Pil.

Anyway, as there are several words to say it in English there are also several ways to say it in Korean. Just like terms for techniques there may be several rights. ;-)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm referring to the "KTA Taekwondo Poomsae Application" (KTA 태권도 품새 풀이) book:

KTA 태권도 품새풀이 (QR)

Same publisher as the book from Kang Ik-Pil.

Anyway, as there are several words to say it in English there are also several ways to say it in Korean. Just like terms for techniques there may be several rights. ;-)

Hahaha, you're right there ;-)

I think in this case though, Bunkai and Boonhae share the same Hanja.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
As part of my self-study, I'm translating our classroom commands that are only said in English, into Korean. At the end of each class, before we bow out, the instructor says "Turn around, kneel down, and fix your uniform."

I've got "Turn around" 뒤로 돌아 and "Fix your uniform" 도복단정. Can you help me out with "Kneel down"?

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As part of my self-study, I'm translating our classroom commands that are only said in English, into Korean. At the end of each class, before we bow out, the instructor says "Turn around, kneel down, and fix your uniform."

I've got "Turn around" 뒤로 돌아 and "Fix your uniform" 도복단정. Can you help me out with "Kneel down"?
"Fix your uniform" would be something like 도복정리, although I don't know if Korean classes say it at all. I don't know if they say 뒤로돌아 either, as it's informal and such commands would be said in noun form and not imperative. For kneel, it would probably be 무릅! or 무릅꿇어.

Latest Discussions