As I sit here

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and wonder with less than a week to go before the AAU National in Knoxville Tennesee. We have 7 athletes that have never been to a major competition with this many people and competitors, trying to figure out what is going though there minds with a week to go. I'm using my three son as a cushin to let these student know what to expect and hopefully make them understand it is just another tournament. Some have over a 100 competitors in there brackets but yet they seem to be in great spirit and still believing there chance on coming back with a medal is 90%, great students, great attitude.

So here is the question how do you prepare your competitors with such high confidence the possibilities that they may not come home with anything except more experience for the next major competition or do you deal with that aspect after the fact.

We do not put pressure on them to win because they are already winners in our eyes and there parents but peer preasure seems to be the worst enemies of the student that have friends on elite baseball and football teams. How do we as instructors compare one individual lost to a team and vise versa as well?

My job is to build self esteem and confidence but some of these dedicated students chances are probaly less than 1% of actually winning at this competition, so how do we prepare them for this let down when and if it happens?

Terry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry,

I think the best you can do is treat this competition as a learning experience and remind your students that above all having fun is the most important thing.

With our shooting team, we make sure it is a positive experience and always find positives in everyone's performances, regardless of the outcome. Big competitions are intimidating and many people get awestruck. Our Coach is amazing, he reads his shooters very well and knows when to approach them and how to approach them with regards to their performance. He also does not allow the shooters to show negativity in public and makes it clear that discussion of any problems, concerns or performances should be done outside of the public area. Good sportsmanship is above all, number one. :)

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
focus on the fact that they will learn something about themselves wether they win or lose. your right, they are winners. a lot of martial artists won't even compete so the fact that they show up means a lot. also remind them of good sportsmanship. there is wuite a bit more to talk about than just the outcome of a match.

with respect,
painstain

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
We do not put pressure on them to win because they are already winners in our eyes and there parents but peer preasure seems to be the worst enemies of the student that have friends on elite baseball and football teams. How do we as instructors compare one individual lost to a team and vise versa as well?

My job is to build self esteem and confidence but some of these dedicated students chances are probaly less than 1% of actually winning at this competition, so how do we prepare them for this let down when and if it happens?

Terry
By keeping the focus on the competition and the experience surrounding it, and not on the outcome. As always, your head and heart are in the right place, Sabumnim. Good luck to your competitors and ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just explain that everyone is going there to have fun! If you win, wonderful, if not, think of past victories, and what experiences they're taking back with them! I wish your team the best, Terry! Keep us posted on how it goes, will ya?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you got it right already. Just focus on the fun - you know, "do your best". I got pretty tired of hearing from my instructor that my best was "the" best - very high expectations and stress.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just remind them that they have made it to a NATIONAL tournament with the chance to compete against the best the entire nation has to offer, their football and baseball buddies do it as a team, these guys are all on their own, totally different mindset. They have already won by going out and leaving it all in the ring, just like at every other tournament. Good luck, we are sending 4 scrappers, just great kids, gotta love it!

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe if they just concentrate in doing their best, they will get less wrapped up in the whole "winning" business.
G'luck!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
When competing for the Marines in wrestling and Judo I was often nervous. What if I don't do as well as I could, what if, what if, what if, you get the picture. I always knew however that it was fun to compete at a big tournament whether it was oversees or in the states. I always came back wiser from it as well.

The point is this.... The experience gained was better than the medals I ever received. Don't get me wrong, the medals were cool but they weren't my measuring stick.

-Matt