Artwork

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I totally love these pictures. A few years ago, I embarrassed Tess in the National Museum of Art by looking at a piece by a supposed master and saying, "What is this piece of ****? I wouldn't hang it on my ****ing refrigerator." I was not whispering. So, one might say I am a harsh critic. I enjoy realism and pointilism. When one is looking at proportions, one must take into consideration the period of the piece, is it rubenesque, elizabethan, or even antebellum? These factors will determine perspective and proportion more so then linear equations. I remember in a class where we were being taught the "correct" way to draw a human body, "the shoulders are three head widths wide, and the height is seven head lengths." I have never met a human that meets these standards. If you notice, in two of Tess's pictures, the women are obviously dancers or showgirls. People of that profession are typically wider of hip, longer of leg, and more rounded of *** than the average. Corsets will also alter dimensions of waist to hip. What I really enjoy is the use of shadows to determine detail versus hard line. Most of the pieces I did in the past I was proudest of were compositions in shadow. I do not do color well.
I decided to post this because typically when asked, I do not go into great detail of my opionion past wow. I wanted to publically let Tess know how much I appreciate her work, and that I really do know and understand what I am looking at. Once again, tremendous job, honey!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
You SUCK. SUCK.

And trust me... thats high praise coming from a guy like me who's stick figures are probably worse than the ones anyone else on this forum can draw...

I am totaly and completely jealous of your ability.
EYES NARROWING... (whispering) I hope for your sake you're talking to me and not to Tess...for you would have to deal with JUST me and not the Queen of Pain AND her beloved Seig... woe be unto thee... woe, woe!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
EYES NARROWING... (whispering) I hope for your sake you're talking to me and not to Tess...for you would have to deal with JUST me and not the Queen of Pain AND her beloved Seig... woe be unto thee... woe, woe!
No... thats for both of you...

The art is GREAT... what sucks is that your level of talent is so high... because mine is so poor... like I said... I cannot even draw a good stick figure right...

Trust me... that whole comment was sheer praise.

Attachments

• $see.JPG
    $see.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 133

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definately some nice work. :) My freehand stuff is lightyears behind.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw Tess' ladies as Gibson Girl types. Hmm. Eye of the beholder, like all art.

Seig, People like you are interesting to have visit a museum. We don't throw them out, just find it interesting to listen to your, uh, opinions. :) Especially when it comes to Jackson Pollock and the contemporary "masters".

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks All :) *big Smile at Seig* :D

Ralph, Your work is Great~! Would love to see more ;)

Yeppers.. Gibson girl is right KT *snickers*

Prolly there's some distortion as I took the photos with the originals laying flat on a chair and shot them with my digital.. :idunno:

This one is from a series of book illustrations I did.
Mr. Conatser has the original of the first one, some are watercolor and some pastels. The Story-line is where the animals have personalities and my works are impressionistic.

Attachments

• $KOJ4PLATE1.jpg
    $KOJ4PLATE1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 122
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Tess, from one artist to another... you do very good work.
Those are sketches, no? Love to see a completed drawing.
Nice to know we've got something else in common as friends. :D
This is one of my completed drawings. Charcoal, pencil, ink. I'd love to get into watercolors and oils someday.

This reminds me of some of the Fantasy Artists I so am jealous of Ralph~! More~!!!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice work Tess.

I especially likes the dancer figure drawings. The foreshortening in the first one really gives the figure good depth. I also liked the gradation in the hair; gives the figures a very real look.

This makes me want to go back to drawing myself...

:)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Techno, just joshing you with your praise. There are probably lots of things you do well that I TOTALLY SUCK at... so whatever huh? :D

The Qweeen Demands!

Attempts at still life...
First one is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• $From Head To Toe.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 129
  • $Between Trips.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 125

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love this thread.

MACaver - the still lifes are great.

Tess - my favorite is the jungle pastel. You have a great contrast between a strong line, and then this fabulous texture when drawing hair. It's kewl.

:)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But no one said anything about my stick man.

*sniff, sniff*

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stick man was terrific, the facial expression was lifelike and he almost seemed to leap off the page. par excellence...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is interesting how a lot of skilled martial artists are also skilled artists, I have met quite a few who were good at both...

Must be something about using the same parts of the brain or something technical like that:idunno:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
I think it is interesting how a lot of skilled martial artists are also skilled artists, I have met quite a few who were good at both...

Must be something about using the same parts of the brain or something technical like that:idunno:
It could be that. It could be that because we are learning violence (face it we are) we seek out things that are "non-violent", soothing and relaxing to the mind and spirit. The Samurai of old practiced this very well. Becoming skilled artists in their own right. Writing haiku's or practicing gardening or painting, and that wonderful art (I wanna learn) of Bonsai.
I've been drawing all my life and was inspired by my father who is a skilled artist as well in his own right. Much of my psyche is artistic in nature. When I saw Martial Arts for the first time I saw the ART in it right off and that's what appealed to me. The way the body moves and is coordinated and is working in tandem with the mind and spirit to create something.
I love it.

Latest Discussions