arthur cavello

bobmendel

White Belt
Reaction score
This alone makes me doubt any credibility he may have.

Talking about Elvis, 7th degree???? From 1st or 2nd to 7th in a few years???? Should take 20-30 years in most any style. I read he did get a six week intensive course to get his black belt skills at some point.

I also read that the guy that gave him 7th degree got a Cadillac for his trouble. I know Elvis gave an expensive engraved watch to Ed Parker - he showed it to me. It's because of these kind of things a celebrity's rank are to be taken with a (very large) grain of salt. A celebrity's teacher gains celebrity too, as well as cars and jewelry. It's a shame as it makes it difficult to separate BS from those who may actually deserve the honor of rank.

I wonder if I gave my sensei a watch for another degree? He'd kick my *** and kick me out, and not just because it was a only a Timex.
I cannot defend any qualifications or certificates that he earned. I was young and did not know about what good or credible martial arts were at that time. At the time - I was amazed at the power that he had in his right hand when he punched. Later on, after researching his training methods, I found out that damaging your hand like that was irreversible. I am sure that now in his 70s that he is paying the price for damaging his hand.

His Jujitsu was impressive, but then again, I was a young man who never saw any real jujitsu before, so you have to take what I say from a lack of experience point of view. I did look up Hakkō-ryū Jūjutsu and Jukishen Ryu in the Detroit area and could not find any old schools where he could have trained back in his youth. He must have traveled out to the East Coast in order to train in those arts.

His son, Little Al, was very good and had all kinds of trophies from tournaments. However, in the 90s he was killed in an auto accident in Nevada.

HenryRice

White Belt
Reaction score
Soke Arthur Cavallo is very much the real deaI. And he is still alive. He is grand master founder of the Midwest Samurai Jukishin Ryu Ju Jitsu Association. I personally trained with him for almost 20 years. And his list of credentials over his 60 years of training far exceeds those listed. And i can assure you he does not care if you know about them. He trains and teaches solely for his love of the arts. People should be careful not to try and cast doubt about people they know nothing about. He is one of the living legends in the martial arts world, and should be shown due respect.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soke Arthur Cavallo is very much the real deaI. And he is still alive. He is grand master founder of the Midwest Samurai Jukishin Ryu Ju Jitsu Association. I personally trained with him for almost 20 years. And his list of credentials over his 60 years of training far exceeds those listed. And i can assure you he does not care if you know about them. He trains and teaches solely for his love of the arts. People should be careful not to try and cast doubt about people they know nothing about. He is one of the living legends in the martial arts world, and should be shown due respect.
Just a note that most of the posts you're referring to were many years ago, and most of the people who posted them are no longer active on the forum.

j.wilson

White Belt
Reaction score
I am surprised to See my friends name in this forum . He does still teach , but, old age does have its effects on us all , if any of his former students are still here, please contact him , he would love to here from you

brentabdulla

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied Isshinryu with Shihan Cavallo from 1973 to 1978. I was 9 thru 14 years old. He’s the real deal. We started in his kitchen at his little White House in Romulus, then moved to a dojo on Michigan Avenue near Inkster road and Telegraph. We didn’t care about winning tournaments though we did easily. We learned martial arts from a traditional disciplined almost reverend respect for the art. I was a white belt for three years repeating basics, Sanchin kata, Seisan, sieuchin, Wansu and Naihanchi over and over. We were into respect and training to kill not score points. I have been a green belt for 43 years so that shows you how much I give a **** about chasing ranks. I revisited him in 1984 and worked out for another 3 months in the garage converted to a dojo. The “Bujin Dojo.”Since then I’ve gone on to study Tai Chi Chuan, Kyusho jitsu, Arnis, Small circle with Leon Jay and more. Shihan Cavallo respected every martial art and trained diligently. He loved his 72’ suped up Chevy Nova jacked up in the back. Is he still alive in January 2022?

j.wilson

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied Isshinryu with Shihan Cavallo from 1973 to 1978. I was 9 thru 14 years old. He’s the real deal. We started in his kitchen at his little White House in Romulus, then moved to a dojo on Michigan Avenue near Inkster road and Telegraph. We didn’t care about winning tournaments though we did easily. We learned martial arts from a traditional disciplined almost reverend respect for the art. I was a white belt for three years repeating basics, Sanchin kata, Seisan, sieuchin, Wansu and Naihanchi over and over. We were into respect and training to kill not score points. I have been a green belt for 43 years so that shows you how much I give a **** about chasing ranks. I revisited him in 1984 and worked out for another 3 months in the garage converted to a dojo. The “Bujin Dojo.”Since then I’ve gone on to study Tai Chi Chuan, Kyusho jitsu, Arnis, Small circle with Leon Jay and more. Shihan Cavallo respected every martial art and trained diligently. He loved his 72’ suped up Chevy Nova jacked up in the back. Is he still alive in January 2022?
Yes, he's still alive , you should give him a call or visit, he would really appreciate it now

Mandasia

White Belt
Reaction score
Arthur Cavallo has passed away
Arthur Cavallo has passed away
I know this is a strange request, but I believe this man is/was my biological grandfather. My father was his son Allen whom passed when I was 2. I was adopted at a young age and want to learn more of my history. If anyone has information to share about him, I would love to learn more.

bobmendel

White Belt
Reaction score
I was a student after that period in his garage dojo. He had students from that period stopping in to visit him. They claimed by not having the room to move around in his kitchen, they became excellent blockers and stand-up fighters. His son AL was an excellent martial artist. He could wake up from sleep and fall into a 180-degree split. His father started teaching him when he was four years old.

j.wilson

White Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a strange request, but I believe this man is/was my biological grandfather. My father was his son Allen whom passed when I was 2. I was adopted at a young age and want to learn more of my history. If anyone has information to share about him, I would love to learn more.
pm me, and I can give you some info, he spoke of you

j.wilson

White Belt
Reaction score

The 3rd man in the pic was GM Cavallo
355316796_10227230881271580_5586601477128705373_n.jpg

bobmendel

White Belt
Reaction score
pm me, and I can give you some info, he spoke of you
I am on one of the videos you posted. I am ashamed of my performance. I am glad that someone remembered his legacy. The one I posted had both brothers, Al and ?, on it at the demonstration.

bobmendel

White Belt
Reaction score
Lil All was a great martial artist and a good fighter. His father started to train him when he was four years old. He could do the complete splits and had great kicking ability. I thought that he was going to be a great instructor some day because he was so good at it. Sensei Cavallo had him teaching the adult class when he was still in high school.

Latest Discussions