Are you a player baby?

T

TKDKid

So this evening I was watching a King of the Cage DVD set I bought, and the comentators referred to one of the fighters as a "Ju-Jitsu player." This kind of struck me funny. KotC, UFC, K-1, etc..., are all sports, and one plays a sport, right? I compete in TKD tournaments usually about once a year. Competition is not my focus, but I think it's fun to participate in a tournament on occassion. Even though when I walk out onto that tournament mat I'm participating in sport Tae Kwon Do, I wouldn't consider myself a TKD Player, not even for that day. I personally don't like it. I suppose it's a matter of preference, but wheather I'm competeing, working out, or whatever, I consider myself to be a Tae Kwon Do practioner. I just don't feel like player is a suitable description. Any thoughts?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone once asked me if I play Krav Maga and I thought "Play? Do I PLAY Krav Maga? We beat the hell outta each other there, and you call it "playing"?"

Though you do technically play sports, and most MA's are sports, sounds kinda degrading. I like practitioner better.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess if you are going to do something for money or for competition, you are a player. Football player instead of football practioner. Poker player instead of poker practioner. Martial art tournaments are a game/sport (very tough games/sprts depending on the art), so I suppose you could consider those who participate players.

If you simply study a martial art, I suppose you would then be a practioner. There is not game, nobody "wins" anything, the students are not making money off the training, etc.

So if you go to one martial art tournament a year, I think that would make you a TKD player for 1 day out of the year, plus any training you put into tournament competition. Personally, when I go to compete in a tournament I am a player and I remind myself of that. It isn't self-defense, I am competing in a game and I play by the rules and "work" them; i.e. know which way your back should face at what times, when you should ki-hap, when are the best times/places to attack or simply defend, etc. During that time I am a player because I play a game. On the workout floor when tournaments are not an issue, I am a practioner.

OP
T

TKDKid

Mr. Casto, interesting article, it brings about some very interesting points.

You wouldn't happen to know Jay Thomas or Darrel Seargeant would you?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The term is probably an extension of 'Judo Player'.

When you are in competition in Judo you are a player, not a fighter. I refer to the Brazilian Ju-Jitsu guys as 'BJJ players'. I don't know if this is an accurate term, but they understand since it is such a widely used term in the jacketed grappling world. Perhaps the commentator had been a Judo player at some time.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Same in kendo. People in Japan say that they "play" kendo, not practice it. This is probably a mistranslation at some point, but it has gotten into the culture strongly enough that everyone says it. When the commentator said it, he might have been deferring to the terminology that he heard Japanese people use. Just my $0.02.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the statement, but for very different reasons. Interesting take, pesilat.

pesilat said:
LOL. Well, in the Southeast Asian arts the term "play" is very common and to be called a "player" is actually a compliment.
My Sabumnim (Korean) has always used that term, so therefore we do also. I do know that they make a clear distinction between playing (competition) and fighting. People that go on the mat to fight are not players, they're fighters, and no, that is NOT a compliment in that context. It implies someone who cannot grasp the difference between the two. It implies lack of control and skill (again, in THAT context). Competition is competition and fighting is fighting.

Regards,

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKDKid said:
Mr. Casto, interesting article, it brings about some very interesting points.

You wouldn't happen to know Jay Thomas or Darrel Seargeant would you?

The name Jay Thomas rings a bell but I can't place it. I attended a seminar with Darrel Sargeant several years ago in Lawton, OK. Why do you ask?

OP
T

TKDKid

I ask because Jay Thomas is my Sadiq Kali Silat and Sayoc teacher, and Darrel Sargeant is his Sadiq Kali Silat/ Kamau Ryu teacher.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKDKid said:
I ask because Jay Thomas is my Sadiq Kali Silat and Sayoc teacher, and Darrel Sargeant is his Sadiq Kali Silat/ Kamau Ryu teacher.

Ahh. Cool. Like I said, I've met Sarjeant once. Seemed like a nice guy and has some good knowledge and ability. I haven't seen much of his system but based on what I saw at the seminar I attended I think you're in good hands :)

Mike