are wheelguns 100% reliable??

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brand/type loyalty is great with firearms but to make the statement revolvers are MORE reliable than semi-autos is just not realistic.
In 40 + years of serious shooting I have observed the following problems not always the weapons "fault" but which could lead to rather dire consequences in a life or death situation...

These have all been personally observed at one time or another.

To 2nd post on topic

Revolvers are by no means 100% reliable.......a number of issues can occur with revolvers. I was putting on a CCW class a couple months back and we were using a Colt Trooper III .22 caliber revolver for qualification.

The screw that holds the cylinder in had worked it's way loss, and the cylinder would not close completely. We had to examine it for several minutes to figure out what the problem was. Once we did, we simply tightened it in, and it worked fine. But such a malfunction in the middle of a gun fight would put the gun out of use.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Andy,

Now repeat after me:

"I have found semi-auto salvation"

"I have found semi-auto salvation"

I have chosen the path to true enlightenment

Remember--I never DIDn't like autos, in fact I used to *be* one of those who thought revolvers were dead. This last weekend's course showed me how wrong I was and the several real advantages that still exist at least with the snubby( I think the full size models will come out mostly during hunting and competitionbut as far as carry/defense the "mainstay" revolver has gravitated to, and is likely to stay, strictly the snub)

I still keep my SIG bedside ready.

However I *did* choose the path to true enlightenment( to book the appropriate classes and become as expert as I can with BOTH). :D

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to jump into this debate (since anyone with a brain knows that the Glock 19 is the epitome of the fighting handgun :D)

I just wanted to point out that S&W does offer new-production J's without the lock. The 442 I bought early this year does not have it. I believe they also offer the "bodyguard-style" J (438/638?) without the lock.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have both, a revolver and a semi-auto.

I love my revolver for its reliability--never had problems with ammo in it--it hasn't jammed once since I owned it (so far, but it is, after all mechanical so some day there may be a failure, but careful maintenance should help reduce that). I love my semi-auto also for its ease [point and shoot] and the fact it can hold more ammo. It does jam sometimes. Many times I carry both guns with me at the same time. I always go to the range to practice with both to keep my mind used to handling them.

- Ceicei

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not going to jump into this debate (since anyone with a brain knows that the Glock 19 is the epitome of the fighting handgun :D)

I just wanted to point out that S&W does offer new-production J's without the lock. The 442 I bought early this year does not have it. I believe they also offer the "bodyguard-style" J (438/638?) without the lock.

A fluke, I'm afraid, there was one year they outsourced the frames to a company that didn't drill the lock holes, and they said the hell with it , just ship 'em, then ballyhooed a fake "Limited edition" release.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
huh...interesting, and here I thought they may have actually listened to their customers and released a few that didn't have that idiotic lock. Oh well, I stand corrected.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
Just goes to show even a company which built its reputation of wheelguns cannot make them in todays high tech society.....

Will Shakespeare had it right with his lawyer quote....

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Revolvers offer a greater margin of error to those who might have problems, such as weak wrists, or those who wish to use underpowered ammunition. There are some folks who simply cannot rack the slide of a semiauto, due to various factors.

Furthermore, the revolver also offers a bit more margin of error when it comes to bad ammunition, especially when primers might be suspect, that all you have to do is pull the trigger again.

On the other hand, my Glocks have never failed to feed or fire, when using factory loads, or any of my handloads that were within specs, even my 9mm 147 grainers flying out at 1150 fps (can be done with VV 3N38).

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Praise be to Vita- Vuori powders!!

"Sissy wristing" an auto is probably the #1 cause of all auto failure to feed or eject.

Operator error best cleaned up through proper training. Other than the Macho-Men of the range. They are beyond redemption.

Racking a slide also can be corrected most of the time.

Back In The Day those in the know could do so with either hand, and reload the same way.

Ahh reinventing the wheel with rounded corners LOL

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd just like to note how sad it is that Colt stopped making their double action revolvers.

They had a beautiful idea based on their Agent and Detective special, which was a Stainless snubby called the Magnum Carry, all steel, FULL-STROKE ejector rod, .357, not much bigger than a J frame and still had the sixth round.

And then just as they had finally got the concept right they stopped making it.

And it occurs to me that given S&W's current sales seppuku over the frame locks, that Colt would have to be insane not to resurrect this model even if no others.........

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Revolvers offer a greater margin of error to those who might have problems, such as weak wrists, or those who wish to use underpowered ammunition. There are some folks who simply cannot rack the slide of a semiauto, due to various factors.

Furthermore, the revolver also offers a bit more margin of error when it comes to bad ammunition, especially when primers might be suspect, that all you have to do is pull the trigger again.

On the other hand, my Glocks have never failed to feed or fire, when using factory loads, or any of my handloads that were within specs, even my 9mm 147 grainers flying out at 1150 fps (can be done with VV 3N38).

I have to say after thousands of rounds my Glocks have never failed to feed or fire as well! Heck we even torture tested a friend of mines Glock and it still performed fantastic. That said my back up firearm is a small snubby revolver. I particularly went this way because it is so easily concealed compared to any auto. Just my 02.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a "loaded" question and seems to be trying to "fire" up the owners of either weapon system.

I own both revolvers and autos and neither are 100%.

My .02 only.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
LOL here come the smurfs trying to make belt points with nothing to add

Some things never change.......

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Glocks (and any other weapon I have used) have all "failed to fire/feed" at one time or another. If you haven't had a malfunction you haven't been training enough. Fortunately 99% of the time it's just a matter of TAP RACK BANG to correct it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Glocks (and any other weapon I have used) have all "failed to fire/feed" at one time or another. If you haven't had a malfunction you haven't been training enough. Fortunately 99% of the time it's just a matter of TAP RACK BANG to correct it.
I agree. Any auto will occasionally malfunction. Biggest cause with Glocks is limp wristing the gun, closely followed by anticipating and exaggerating the follow through from the recoil. Both are really the same: the energy that the gun needs to run the slide back and eject the round, feeding the next, needs to be "steered" into the slide, not absorbed in your body/motion. After that, you start getting into the "stuff happens" malfunctions, like one magazine of mine that's a range mag only because it malfunctions. Don't know if something's off in the follower, or in the spring, or what because nothing is obviously wrong...

Revolvers malfunction less, and when they do -- it's typically an indication that the gun is now a paperweight. As long as the cylinder turns, and a live round falls under the hammer -- the gun's going to go BANG when the hammer falls.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find the revolver is best in two areas now days.

1) As a backup gun. Way to many pocket autos, having small parts, fail to function after being carried for long periods in such places as pockets, ankle holsters, belly bands, etc... yet the revolver tends to be more tolerant of such as lint and dirt that accumulates in such places.

2) As a sentinel. That is a handgun kept loaded in the house, business, or car for long periods of time. Because no springs are compressed and even a ‘dry’ revolver has no problem cycling, they tend to work very well in this regard. And example would be my Speed Six .38, stoked with Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWSHPs that is right now within arm’s reach of me at this desk. It’s been there for years! Being stainless and a bit of grease in the right places, I have no doubt if it lays here for 50 years, it still would fire all six shots on demand.

Now to address the question of reliability. True if you do not clean the weapon after long shooting sessions, the simi-auto, in such forms as the Glock, win hands down. They can get caked with mud and they will just keep on going. I know this because at the Glock .vs. 1911 Matches at McKinney, Texas, the Glocks, especially the Glock 17, when 1000 rounds without any cleaning. Not just one gun, but tens of Glock 17s and 19s just kept going! Even the 1911s, with a few exceptions, did not go 1000 rounds!

And as a result, as a military combat weapon or one used where the possibility of multiple assailants, they are miles ahead of the revolver.

BUT, most simi-autos have a problem if ‘dry’, that is no oil to lubricate. And thus if you fail to maintain the simi-auto with some lubrication, they can fail.

Hence as a sentinel or backup the revolver has its place.

Deaf

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The revolver also has an advantage, that it's a proven design in the smaller packages, too. There are many occasions where you want to carry a respectable caliber, but don't have much of a choice, other than pocket carry. In these cases, it's really hard to beat a J-frame sized revolver, stoked with Speer's excellent short barrel Gold Dot hollowpoints.

On another note, I've had good luck with Dri Film's "Superlube" lubricant. It's Teflon, solubilized in hexanes, and leaves a slick, dry film behind that doesn't attract dirt.

The coating stays on when not in use. I sprayed down a Glock 17 about 12 months ago, and haven't shot it since, and the Teflon is still on the areas it had been applied.

Last edited: