Are we saying enough about the art......?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When we put on our websites the rank order only up to black belt? I've noticed this on several sites & when I talk with students. I mention only the short term (2-3 years) & not the lifetime learning growth opportunity. I realize that to kids this is too much for them. But even to adults, we onlt talk about "the wonderful BB at the end of the rainbow."

I don't have an answer for this. And I don't wanna make it sound like a problem. I just wonder if we'd retain more students if we talked about the lifetime learning in MA, rather than the short term goals.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Short term goals are a great selling point, and I think you will lose possible dabblers if you take that away; however, it should be stressed that the usefullness of the art disapears when you allow yourself to lose conditioning. Personaly I would rather fight an out of shape TKD person than an out of shape boxer, simply, because it takes less conditioning to box than it does to kick. The world is full of out of shape black belts from any art. Perhaps the answer to your dilema would be to teach as much easy to use stuff as possible and turn back the focus on acrobatics. Doing this without losing a TKD identity will be challanging.
Sean

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent question, Iceman.

As serious, dedicated Martial Artists, and instructors, I think we have to bear in mind that some of our prospective students won't be looking to do much more than "try it out." We know that there are many benefits to training in the Martial Art beyond self defense, physical fitness, trophies, and the 1st Degree Black Belt, but not all new "potential" students are ready to commit to a life of being a Martial Artist.

Sean (Touch of Death) makes a good point that we can lose potential customers, who might eventually become dedicated, life-long Black Belts, if we scare them away too early with the "It's a lifetime of learning" philosophy. On the other hand, there are those who will walk away if they feel you do not grasp the longevity of commitment as a Martial Artist. So, your point is a good one, Iceman. We do need to make some mention of the long term goals.

I find it best to have a private appointment with any new, prospective students and find out what their focus is. I will make verbal note of the various commitments that each level offers, including the dedicated student for life concept, but if they seem less certain, then I would rather get them to join with more focus on the short term goals. In time, I will likely be able to teach them about what is beyond the 1st Dan.

"Are we saying enough about the art?" Perhaps not. I think we should make mention in our websites, and in our presentations that there is the "option" of a lifetime of learning in Taekwondo. However, we must be cautious that we do not say too much. Let them ask if they want to know more. I let people know of the benefits they can achieve on their path to the Black Belt, but I do not imply that it is the "end of the rainbow." I always define the Black Belt as a mastery of the basics, and the beginning of a further education, if they so choose. By the time one of my students reaches Black Belt, I have had plenty of time to convince them there is no reason to quit training - - ever!

Chief Master Eisenhart

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On another note...do other schools have Black Belt only classes, aimed specifically at retention and life long learning? Our school teaches that Black Belt is only the beginning and we do have Black Belt classes, perhaps not enough though. I would like to see more myself.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
On another note...do other schools have Black Belt only classes, aimed specifically at retention and life long learning? Our school teaches that Black Belt is only the beginning and we do have Black Belt classes, perhaps not enough though. I would like to see more myself.

That's a good point. If your BB experience only consists of "go teach the kid's class," or "teach the green belts their form." There's not a lot of motivation to continue. (Unless they compete). BB students need to be cultivated into instructors. Otherwise, they're just senior students.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
That's a good point. If your BB experience only consists of "go teach the kid's class," or "teach the green belts their form." There's not a lot of motivation to continue. (Unless they compete). BB students need to be cultivated into instructors. Otherwise, they're just senior students.

And you make a good point IcemanSK too. "Cultivated" is an excellent choice of words since not every black belt is or should be teaching. But they should all be training and learning new things, new things about what they already know, but also brand new techniques and concepts.

The "martial arts is a lifelong endeavor" concept should be stated and reinforced. Students should see others of all ages beside them doing their personal best.

But there are steps/goals along the way to keep the beginner motivated (belts/kids' patches, etc). Once they've attained a certain amount of maturity, hopefully they'll realize the journey is the goal.

Miles

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
The "martial arts is a lifelong endeavor" concept should be stated and reinforced. Students should see others of all ages beside them doing their personal best.

But there are steps/goals along the way to keep the beginner motivated (belts/kids' patches, etc). Once they've attained a certain amount of maturity, hopefully they'll realize the journey is the goal.

Miles

Exactly!! I am a red belt now and will hopefully be testing in June to Black. When I started it seemed like it was so far away and I admit I was focused on the next belt promotion. It wasn't until about 6 months ago I realized that I was in an awesome spot in my career. I feel like I am learning so much right now. From beginner level techniques I may have "forgotten" to tying those concepts in with more advanced techniques. Don't get me wrong I am nervous that I am not worthy of testing for black belt this summer. Sometimes I don't feel like all my technique is good enough, but just the fact that I am aware of these weaknesses makes me feel good about my training. So yeah, right now I agree the journey is the as important as the destination. Hopefully for us the destination is always off in the distance, and doesn't stop at 1st Dan.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
Exactly!! I am a red belt now and will hopefully be testing in June to Black. When I started it seemed like it was so far away and I admit I was focused on the next belt promotion. It wasn't until about 6 months ago I realized that I was in an awesome spot in my career. I feel like I am learning so much right now. From beginner level techniques I may have "forgotten" to tying those concepts in with more advanced techniques. Don't get me wrong I am nervous that I am not worthy of testing for black belt this summer. Sometimes I don't feel like all my technique is good enough, but just the fact that I am aware of these weaknesses makes me feel good about my training. So yeah, right now I agree the journey is the as important as the destination. Hopefully for us the destination is always off in the distance, and doesn't stop at 1st Dan.

It sounds like you're well on your way to being a life-long MA-ist, Jen. Keep it up. :partyon:

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
It sounds like you're well on your way to being a life-long MA-ist, Jen. Keep it up. :partyon:

Yeah, it kinda gets in your blood, I can't imagine not going to train. Here's a question...when you learn/teach patterns, do you learn just the moves or do you learn what each move is representing?

We use the Palgwe forms, so for example do you teach what the heck you are doing when you execute the first move of Palgwe Sa-Chang? It seems to me that this part sometimes get overlooked. I know when I started figuring out what each move represented, the patterns not only made a lot more sense, but the way I performed them improved immensly. I think this is an easy (and essential?) way to "stick to our roots" and promote the art component of TKD.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On Poomse it is in the best interest of the student to learn all the proper techniques and why they are in those particuler order of said Poomse.
Terry

Latest Discussions