Are all instructor's techniques written in stone?

OP
Padawon

Padawon

White Belt
Reaction score
I may still want to learn Krav, but I learned a lot from the philosophy of Kosho-Ryu Kenpo.. Since it is pure Kenpo I could see what Kenpo techniques the Krav masters are using and decide if I wish to use that or not. Also I would be able to come up with my own variations, and that does sound like fun to me.. So I'll probably want to learn Kosho-Ryu Kenpo but I have no idea where, if anything I'll try to lean from books.. Thanks again though bros!

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
but so are the techniques of Krav Maga the same or are there different styles it? And if there's not different Krav Maga styles do maybe some teachers have different sequence of moves (like order of attacks) that may or maybe not be better then other teachers sequences?

Krav Maga, basically copies the techniques from other styles such as Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, Karate, etc. Using whatever works. So you're getting real techniques of other MA's. It's basically, MMA Lite with weapons training & defense. And there are quite a few different federations of Krav Maga, with their different curriculum of techniques and promotion standards. Mostly because it's good money to charge lots of money to get someone certified ($3000-5000) to run their own program and use the brand name, etc. So a Krav instructor who's mainly a Karateka, may teach you a different variation of a roundhouse kick vs. a Muay Thai trained, one. Another is, many to most Muay Thai and MMA instructors, are experienced fighters while only a few Krav instructors are fighters.

Krav is still good for what it is. I think it's the best type of Self Defense class, just way below that of MMA and other full contact, fighter's training.

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kosho Ryu is da bomb. The one thing I like about Kosho Ryu is that is borrows a lot of techniques from jujitsu. I'm actually looking at a school in the Northern Nevada area to study at. Great school and the instructor also teaches Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Anyway, good luck on your journey. Oh, and skip most of the KM schools if you live in the U.S. Most are McDojo's. There are only two or three that I rate as legit. One is a school run by two Israeli guys. The main guy is Roy Elgayan and he distanced himself from the American KM Assn established by Darren Levine because he saw that what others were learning was significantly lower then what he was teaching. Look him up on youtube. He also teaches Hisardut, which is also known as Israeli Jiujitsu. Look hard and you will only find about four schools in the U.S. where you can learn Hisardut.

My recommendation is to stay far away from the American KM schools. The Israel KM association has a number of schools in the U.S. but a lot of them are McDojos too. Just do your research if you choose to go with KM. It's safer to study Kosho Ryu Kenpo because there aren't many schools that teach the Mitose style of Kenpo in the U.S. And remember, it was Kosho Ryu, as taught by James Mitose, that would the base foundation for Kajukenbo.

Latest Discussions