AOL I/M Melissa type bug???

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Several of my users have been complaining of a message that is reminicient of the Melissa virus...They get an I/M from somebody that has a hyperlink in the message body, when they click on it it gets forwarded to everyone in their buddy list....going round & round& round... It was reported to me yesterday. Our "Proxy" service knows nothing of it and nothing is posted on the Symantec site...
Anybody else seeing this????

OP
Jdokan

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got a copy of the message it is supposedly a "myspace" link and of course it is supposed to display "photos" imagine what those would be and again of course how do you best entice somebody???????
When you click the link it forwards the message to people in your buddy list......

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of that kinda stuff going around. Between my friends and my customers at work, I run 4 messengers and see these kinds of scripts on all of them.

As a rule, I don't click on any links I don't know about ahead of time. Safer that way ;)

OP
Jdokan

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fully agree!!!! I try to instill to my users that if something shows up "unannounced"....Call the individual first...BEFORE opening/etc. the item in question.....For most of us that is standard practice......it is the general population that tends to help propagate things.......

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fully agree!!!! I try to instill to my users that if something shows up "unannounced"....Call the individual first...BEFORE opening/etc. the item in question.....For most of us that is standard practice......it is the general population that tends to help propagate things.......

Meh. To heck with calling. If they are online when I get a link, I ask them what its for. If they're offline, I usually just delete it. A link that shows up unannounced is never anything important.

Latest Discussions