Anything about the WKA Wing Chun System?

OnlineChunner

White Belt
Reaction score
Just want to have a clear statement about the WKA System (Wing Chun Kung Fu Association), mainly the SWKA and Italy WKA (both by Kernspecht and Ressurection). I went to see their videos online and most of the time, they have this crazy love of doing drills that are very unrealistic. Just check this video:

Many of their branches in different countries in the European countries and even in Asian countries, do these kinds of drills that are mainly unusable or from all the videos in their "GM"'s channels, most of them are questionable if they are even applicable in the ring or in the street. It's just too dramatically unrealistic choreographed moves.

Their targets are usually unresisting and whenever they do drills, they're too stiff and their instructors don't know what to follow up or what they're doing.

Check this out:
I just want to know for the legit wing chun practitioners out there if this actually how you were taught wing chun or is this another of the borderline Mcdojos?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just want to have a clear statement about the WKA System (Wing Chun Kung Fu Association), mainly the SWKA and Italy WKA (both by Kernspecht and Ressurection). I went to see their videos online and most of the time, they have this crazy love of doing drills that are very unrealistic. Just check this video:

Many of their branches in different countries in the European countries and even in Asian countries, do these kinds of drills that are mainly unusable or from all the videos in their "GM"'s channels, most of them are questionable if they are even applicable in the ring or in the street. It's just too dramatically unrealistic choreographed moves.

Their targets are usually unresisting and whenever they do drills, they're too stiff and their instructors don't know what to follow up or what they're doing.

Check this out:
I just want to know for the legit wing chun practitioners out there if this actually how you were taught wing chun or is this another of the borderline Mcdojos?

What are the purpose of thee drills?
Is it targeting and practicing getting hip and body placement with each strike?
Is it sensitivity?
If the purpose of the drill is lost then people will not understand.
I mean no disrespect to the MMA and BJJ, yet when they say people not just stand there and let you get a lock on them for standing JJ, they then practice grabbing the arm and rolling to their side and putting them into an Armbar lock. And they will work this single technique until they understand the mechanics.
Once the mechanics are understood they will then put it into a practice roll, not 100% and allow the person when fed the opening to take it.
The increase resistance over time and skill is what makes it work.
Why because they understand what the reason for the drill / practice of the single technique.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After 1 punch and you still keep punching while your opponent stops moving, it may look like you have a lot of punching speed. In reality, when you make 1 move, your opponent also responds with 1 move.

IMO, this kind of training may give you the false confidence and believe that you are faster than your opponent.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 1 punch and you still keep punching while your opponent stops moving, it may look like you have a lot of punching speed. In reality, when you make 1 move, your opponent also responds with 1 move.

IMO, this kind of training may give you the false confidence and believe that you are faster than your opponent.
That is always a risk with any kind of isolation drill (my term for a drill that focuses on a principle or technique without any resistance). If there’s also good resistive training, that risk evaporates.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What are the purpose of thee drills?
Is it targeting and practicing getting hip and body placement with each strike?
Is it sensitivity?

I think those are the very questions the OP was asking. But not in the high minded, rhetorical sense you seem to be asking. But in the practical, literal sense. Do you know?

If the purpose of the drill is lost then people will not understand.
I mean no disrespect to the MMA and BJJ, yet....
Never a respectful or friendly way to start a sentence.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oddly enough the rest of it was complimenting BJJ's training method. One of the few times in my experience that disclaimer wasn't followed by disrespect.
LOL. Okay. Let's call it a backhanded compliment. :)

Regarding MMA's training methods, they work because they apply the techniques. It's very simple. The drills lead to application. I don't know if these folks in the OP apply what they're learning in any meaningful way, but if they don't, what Rich is doing would be a little misleading.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Regarding MMA's training methods, they work because they apply the techniques. It's very simple. The drills lead to application. I don't know if these folks in the OP apply what they're learning in any meaningful way, but if they don't, what Rich is doing would be a little misleading.
I thought that was the point behind Rich’s point. If the purpose of a drill is to develop targeting (for resisting partners), then it should be followed with applying it (against resisting partners). If the purpose is unknown, the drill may be done for the sake of the drill.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Unless I'm missing something, you and Rich are saying the exact same thing. You need to drill a technique to understand the concept, then apply to get it to work.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is always a risk with any kind of isolation drill (my term for a drill that focuses on a principle or technique without any resistance). If there’s also good resistive training, that risk evaporates.
This is the general problem for the striking art demo. In most of the striking art demo, since you can't knock your opponent down, you try to use fast punches to show your striking ability.

My concern about this kind of training is it's pretty much like point fight (control sparring) that your pull your punch just few inches away from your opponent's face. The more that you have trained this, the more bad habit that you may develop (such as pulling punches).

In throwing art, you just take your opponent down and your training can be as simple as that.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the general problem for the striking art demo. In most of the striking art demo, since you can't knock your opponent down, you try to use fast punches to show your striking ability.

My concern about this kind of training is it's pretty much like point fight (control sparring) that your pull your punch just few inches away from your opponent's face. The more that you have trained this, the more bad habit that you may develop (such as pulling punches).

In throwing art, you just take your opponent down and your training can be as simple as that.
I don't think it's all that different in throwing arts, in a way. Generally, with throws where the landing can be bad, we try to help cushion and/or control the fall. If you do that too much, without practicing also a more full throw, you can develop a bad habit.

In both cases, the fix is generally having sufficient practice where you don't have to exercise as much control. Striking has an advantage here, because you can hit a heavy bag as hard as you can over and over without hurting anyone but yourself. With throwing, you'd need a soft, deep landing pad set into the floor to practice planting your partner as hard as you can - that's much harder to set up. I think the closest realistic analog is using a throwing dummy.

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Check this out:
This drills are good only if other guy just stands and do nothing. If you want to learn legit wing chun send me message. I will speak with you 😁

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
... If you want to learn legit wing chun send me message. I will speak with you 😁
Oh sweet holy crap, how much I like those "my kung fu is better then your". especially when chunners argue which lineage is better and never check this in combat.

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh sweet holy crap, how much I like those "my kung fu is better then your". especially when chunners argue which lineage is better and never check this in combat.
I didnt tell my wing chun is better. I just know how things are work. I dont think other wing chun styles are bad, they are good for certain things.

OP
O

OnlineChunner

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys for commenting into my query. If you actually check out their videos, I just find that most of their drills are unapplicable when the partner becomes an actual resisting partner. Check out these drills from their channels:

The guy claims that since JKD is based off of its mother, Wing Chun, their approach is that JKD can be Wing Chun.

At the same time, look at their conditioning training:

WKA is from Leung Ting's EWTO. However, that is not the question I want to be cleared. I just want to have your takes whether these drills and this group, WKA Wing Chun Kung Fu Association is another Wing Chun mcdojo or not.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, I don't like the drill (or demo) that your opponent just freeze in the air when you continue your attack. This is not realistic. If you have confidence that your 1st punch can knock your opponent down, why do you need your 2nd punch for?

Your full powerful punch doesn't need to land on your opponent's face.