The Language of Your Art

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if the language used is important in training. The names of all of my techniques are in Japaneese, I'm curious as to why we dont use a translated version here in the states. It could simplify things for beginners by making the techniques easier to remember, as the names are generally discriptions of the technique. Why do you think the language of the arts origin is still used as opposed to translations? Is it an attempt to keep the art as similar as it can be to how it began? Or is it just because it adds more character and culture to the art? I'm not suggesting that it should be changed, just curious about your opinions on why it wasnt.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd vote that anyone that uses a foreign language should at least take a 1st year course in that language, far too many people trying to teach a language and getting it completely wrong out there.

But to answer the question, I don't think it matters. Some prefer to teach / be taught in English, others would prefer to learn other peices of the culture the style originated in as well. Just a matter of what you want to get out of it, and it is a hobby, nothing terribly serious, so it really doesn't matter much.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Lorax said:
I was wondering if the language used is important in training. The names of all of my techniques are in Japaneese, I'm curious as to why we dont use a translated version here in the states. It could simplify things for beginners by making the techniques easier to remember, as the names are generally discriptions of the technique. Why do you think the language of the arts origin is still used as opposed to translations? Is it an attempt to keep the art as similar as it can be to how it began? Or is it just because it adds more character and culture to the art? I'm not suggesting that it should be changed, just curious about your opinions on why it wasnt.

Hello, If you do go to other schools or enter Tournments...learning the language will be important. They will use the Japanese terms. My son does High school Judo...they follow the Japanese format and language here in Hawaii. (American high school matches).

Because martial arts came from a foreign country..it was easier for those teachers to use there language and terms.

Wouldn't it be nice if lawyer's speak the same language as us? ...plain english....................Aloha

One day this may change for alot of martial art schools. (It may be in Spanish)

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From the past as the different M/As out there adapted to a new host country They took on the lanuage of that country. Now here in America the thought is veiwed both ways Keep tradition use the lanuage of both English then the styles country lanuage. Its ok But wrong If you learn and teach in America use the english language. If you go to another country learn there language to assist your training. Because its not the language you would be teaching or learning here but The style of M/A. Just like bowing to flags other then the American flag. The only flag in America that should hang in any school Should be the American flag So I think You should use the language of the country you are in. Not unless Remember Japan hated China So Karate was The new name for China related arts that migrated to Japan. korea they hated Japan Funny how tae kwon do looks alot like Shotokan Karate Language is for the country that primarly speaks it. Not for learning a M/A in a country that speaks a different language It not traditional to any art Just makes it sound a little more related to look more official.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I'd vote that anyone that uses a foreign language should at least take a 1st year course in that language, far too many people trying to teach a language and getting it completely wrong out there.
That's a very valid point indeed.

Personally I know little of Japanese besides counting, etiquette and thanks, though I kinda like the added "mystique" of er... not knowing exactly what I'm saying but saying it with gusto nonetheless.

domo arigato gosaimashita (where's the bathroom, I think) :)

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the school I go to we use both the "native" language of the art and English. I feel using the Japanese helps if you go to another school that dosen't use English also. Or if you ever plan on going to the "home" country to train it would help to know at least the names of the moves. It doesn't make a difference in the actual training itself, to paraphrase a well know saying: A Rose would smell as sweet by any name = A move would work as well by any name. I think it just helps tie the art back to it's roots.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just know 1-10, and basic commands in Korean. Believe it or not, I've picked up a few Japanese terms as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SGM Parker developed American Kenpo to all be in English. As a result, there are virtually no Asian words in Kenpo except for the ones that don't translate well, such as Kiai and Uke.

From what I understand, when American Kenpo is in places where English is not the native language (such as Scandinavia), the names of the techniques stay in English.

I think a little bit of language training can help. Although the words that one learns in a beginner language class are not the words that one needs to know for MA, it can help with understanding the flow and the structure of the language. I find Japanese words easy to understand because I speak some Japanese. I find Thai words harder to understand because I don't speak Thai.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use some Korean commands, because some of our students have competed internationally, and we have had students from Puerto Rico at some of our tournaments - so when there wasn't a Spanish/English translator, we could still give commands (start, stop, pattern names, etc.) to the students who didn't speak English - and the same thing happened for students who compete internationally; they didn't necessarily speak the language of the country the competition was held in, but could understand the Korean commands. This is one reason to teach some vocabulary from the language the art originated in.

Another reason is to show respect for the history of the art - which is also why my students learn some Korean history along with the physical skills, and that history is as required as the physical side - students who fail the knowledge test (a written test, some T/F, some multiple choice, some short-answer, some essay) do not get to test, even if they are ready physically.

Third, as Carol Kaur said, some terms just don't translate properly, and it is easier (and generally more appropriate) to use those terms untranslated.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just another point here...If you were to visit and train in a foreign country....most likely you will be using the English langauge to explain the techniques, (upper block) and so on....unless you know the lanaguage. ...Aloha

PS: It is good to learn foreign terms. When reading and watching videos of your art...you will understand what they are talking about.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
SGM Parker developed American Kenpo to all be in English. As a result, there are virtually no Asian words in Kenpo except for the ones that don't translate well, such as Kiai and Uke.
what do you mean they don't translate well? Kiai means "make some noise" and Uke means "dummy" :D

In the style of AK I train we've actually gone a step further than Parker did and eliminated a lot of the symbolism from the technique names. We no longer use the "branch," "wings," and "feathers" type names. We still have a few just as a "nod" to the tradition of the system but the majority have been renamed to be easier to understand.

KenpoBruce2006

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started in the TRACO susyem and that, and every system I have studied has been in english. Just makes sense, it's easier to understand. But I also understand the need to observe tradition, out of respect for its origin.

KenpoBruce2006

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lorax said:

I'd say alot of it may depend on how traditional the art is. The techniques, terms, etc. are said in the naitve tounge, so as to keep with the traditional aspect.

In my Arnis class, as part of the requirements, we have to know how to count 1-12 in Filipino, as well as have a basic understanding of some of the terms. The class is conducted in English.

Mike

Latest Discussions