K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe this one is easier to spot? ;)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha, that's cool! I might steal this idea from you if you don't mind ;)

Reactions: KPM

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool. If I had a form like that, I'd definitely teach folks those variations as they progressed.

Reactions: KPM

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kieth,

Is this the William Cheung version of Chum Kiu, done solo on dummy & with knives? Or is this your own innovation? Either way I like the utilitarian concept.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Kieth,

Is this the William Cheung version of Chum Kiu, done solo on dummy & with knives? Or is this your own innovation? Either way I like the utilitarian concept.

Yes. This is the Traditional Wing Chun Chum Kiu.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. This is the Traditional Wing Chun Chum Kiu.
Do I get a prize now? Maybe an all expenses paid vacation to someplace exotic, like Jersey? Lol!

I really like the utilitarian concept. I have a small set of San Sik called Lin Wan Kou Da that follows the same concept. Empty hand, pole & knives, no variation in movement & rich in concept. Throws, locks, chokes strikes & weapons. All basic movement but diverse in application & theory. It was what I taught (altered to suit CQC tactics and weapons) to various infantry & special operation units when I was a contractor for the Army.

If this was indeed something William Cheung created, it took a great deal of knowledge & insight to create to make cohesive. Thanks for sharing.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
CK with knives?

Squarest peg, roundest hole.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Like some people on the forum.

Other KF styles that employ butterfly swords often adapt their empty hand forms to the weapons.

I played around with adapting the sword form to short sticks and empty hands for a while. And people say there are no hammerfists in Wing Chun! Swords on the dummy as well.

I can almost hear LFJ choking on his beer from here.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like some people on the forum.

Other KF styles that employ butterfly swords often adapt their empty hand forms to the weapons.

I played around with adapting the sword form to short sticks and empty hands for a while. And people say there are no hammerfists in Wing Chun! Swords on the dummy as well.

I can almost hear LFJ choking on his beer from here.
Yup, a very popular form of practice in the various Hung Kuen styles, adapting empty hand to weapon. After all, the weapon is just an extension of the hand.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
CK with knives?

Yeah. Kind of ironic, isn't it? You claim that your version of YMVT was derived entirely from the weapons. Yet you can't do your Chum Kiu form with the knives. Go figure!!!! :rolleyes:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Kind of ironic, isn't it? You claim that your version of YMVT was derived entirely from the weapons. Yet you can't do your Chum Kiu form with the knives. Go figure!!!! :rolleyes:

It's not a dance routine.

Latest Discussions