Wooden Dummy

kelkee

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a GOOD wooden dummy in Georgia?

CRCAVirginia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Great Lion Wooden Dummy Company. It looks like they are selling wooden dummies again. Very good quality, I have had one for over 10 years, still going strong...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, that "half jong" looks pretty decent. Two things I'd check on. One, is it still springy on that compact mounting frame and two, is the back of the "neck", or upper part of the trunk, rounded so you can perform the "neck-pulling hand" movements from the beginning of the form. It looks like these are custom made so you might be able to discuss that with the guy that makes them. Also, make sure you get one with off-set tenons (square shafts)) on the top arms so you can counter the effect of the off-set mortices (sockets) in the trunk and have level arms. This is generally the preferred arrangement, at least in the Yip Man lineages. Good luck.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, that "half jong" looks pretty decent. Two things I'd check on. One, is it still springy on that compact mounting frame and two, is the back of the "neck", or upper part of the trunk, rounded so you can perform the "neck-pulling hand" movements from the beginning of the form. It looks like these are custom made so you might be able to discuss that with the guy that makes them. Also, make sure you get one with off-set tenons (square shafts)) on the top arms so you can counter the effect of the off-set mortices (sockets) in the trunk and have level arms. This is generally the preferred arrangement, at least in the Yip Man lineages. Good luck.

Yeah you gotta have a bit of spring in it , and be able to do the neck pulling hand ( one of my favourite bits of the form actually ) and a technique I like doing in chi sau.

But having said that , if someone was giving em away I wouldn't say no , beautiful wood and finish on it too.

You'd definitely want to have a bit of a play around on it though , to see if it feels right before you go handing over your hard earned.

I remember we had two in our school they were the usual type free standing on frames.

Same sort of design , but different timber I think , one was light and shook all over the joint when you used it , and it just felt crappy .

So everyone all ways used the other one that felt solid and heavy , it had just the right amount of give in it and the way it would spring back was just perfect.

Latest Discussions