Which type of Wooden Dummy is the best?

wingchundummy2013

White Belt
Reaction score
Overstock.com has a few different types of wooden dummies for sale at good prices. Does anyone have experience with the kind with suction cup base? Or is it best to get the one with free standing frame?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Overstock.com has a few different types of wooden dummies for sale at good prices. Does anyone have experience with the kind with suction cup base? Or is it best to get the one with free standing frame?

Posting a link with what you are talking about would help. I've never seen a dummy with a suction cup base. Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. I have one of the free-standing dummies from Warrior.com and it works great.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You should get one that reflects the needs of your lineage and/or method of training. For example, some say the slats should have 'stops' so the jong does not slide or move, others say it should slide, etc. Suction cup? Sounds like a bad idea.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your purpose in practicing on a jong?
In the linage I practice we use the jong to perfect the presentation and position of our tools. It is not used for tempering (though tempering is a by-product of using it properly). The movement of the arms have a purpose and we use the jong without blocks so it slides if the force applied is incorrect. (if correct it will not slide)
Can't give any advise on suction cups. Never seen much less used one with them. I think it would need to be on a clean flat floor for the cups to maintain it securely.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is your purpose in practicing on a jong?
In the linage I practice we use the jong to perfect the presentation and position of our tools. It is not used for tempering (though tempering is a by-product of using it properly). The movement of the arms have a purpose and we use the jong without blocks so it slides if the force applied is incorrect. (if correct it will not slide)
Can't give any advise on suction cups. Never seen much less used one with them. I think it would need to be on a clean flat floor for the cups to maintain it securely.

Yeah, I've been checking out those suction cup dummies online and my concerns would be 1. how well do they really stick and on what kinds of surfaces, and 2. even if they stick well, how long do they last? Another problem: with a dummy mounted on slats on a frame, you can usually adjust the height. That might be tricky with that suction cup stand.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another problem: with a dummy mounted on slats on a frame, you can usually adjust the height. That might be tricky with that suction cup stand.
Had not considered that Geezer. The greater the height the more leverage against the suction cups.

I like my slat mounted dummies (I have 4). The slats provide a springy action when the force is applied properly into the dummy. The dummy body shifts slightly on the slats as well as the arms and leg move around the square mounting holes. All for using proper force vectors.

OP
W

wingchundummy2013

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is the link for the suction cup version: Red Martial Arts Wing Chun Wooden Dummy | Overstock.com Shopping - Top Rated Boxing, MMA & Martial Arts
This is about $700 including shipping but it probably needs smooth surface; not sure if my garage floor is smooth enough.

The one with free standing frame seems to be on sales for $570 including shipping.Best priced than anywhere I checked. I will probably go with this one. I was told this one is more versatile and the height can be adjusted since I'm short.
Wing Chun Dummy Search Results | Overstock.com

There's also one with wooden base and adjustable in height for $700. Martial Arts Wing Chun Wooden Dummy | Overstock.com Shopping - Top Rated Boxing, MMA & Martial Arts

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience a dummy with the stands, though the most expensive, is the best because it gives about two inches which is roughly the same as a human body. Remember that the purpose of the dummy is to teach proper structure and generation of force, which is why you don't want something that gives too much (a free standing dummy) or too little (one of those dummies that stick into the ground)

You also want to make sure the dummy has screws/stops on either side so it doesn't slide around on the slats.

Rou30

White Belt
Reaction score
You guys & your fancy dummies.

All I have are an old rose wood dummy (mounted) that i bought from China, over a decade ago.

And an old portable pine wood dummy, rectangular shaped (I mounted it, no BJJ pun intended) tiny crack on the frame, but overall still in good shape, has outlasted my expectations of it's life expectancy. I bought it from Wing Lam, also atleast 15 years ago.

As for another discussion above, about uses for a dummy.

Well besides the obvious, the Wing Chun Dummy form.
I also use it for training structure, taking apart the Dummy Form, technique by technique, set by set, nothing groundbreaking, but I found it to be useful especially when no partner is around for physical feedback, conditioning/mounted a sand bag to it as well.
Sometimes even Pole techniques & Butterfly Swords/Knives sequences.
The Tong Long system that i train in, also has a set of conditioning exercises that they use the Wooden Man for.

Latest Discussions