Anyone know the back story here?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. Apparently they're somewhere in the WT lineage, but I can't find any info on who the instructor(s) involved are. Their website is Home.

This video of bareknuckle sparring with body contact only gives me a Kyokushin-WT mashup vibe. Not much like what I've seen from most WC/WT/VT folks, although I can see the elements of the style there.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Apparently they're somewhere in the WT lineage, but I can't find any info on who the instructor(s) involved are. Their website is Home.

This video of bareknuckle sparring with body contact only gives me a Kyokushin-WT mashup vibe. Not much like what I've seen from most WC/WT/VT folks, although I can see the elements of the style there.
I usually try to be impartial when it comes to sparring videos, to each their own, but, that video was utterly ridiculous and unrealistic. And they are adopting the BJJ ranking system to equate a relationship of realism & effectiveness? I seen just about every don't do & bad habit possible exhibited in that "sparring" video. But whatever, to each their own I guess.

Reactions: KPM

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading it wrong and not understanding it right (very possible as I've spent the last 30 plus years getting punched lol) but what I see is simply a wing chun school is using the belt colours as jiu jitsu but using their own syllabus for it.

Personally I see no problem with it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading it wrong and not understanding it right (very possible as I've spent the last 30 plus years getting punched lol) but what I see is simply a wing chun school is using the belt colours as jiu jitsu but using their own syllabus for it.

Wearing someone elses colors will get you shot in some places.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wearing someone elses colors will get you shot in some places.
Oh yes because someone going to go shoot up a martial art school for wearing the same belt colours....pretty silly comparison. Maybe that happens in street gangs but this is martial arts they've chosen to do that who the hell cares it's not hurting anyone

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yes because someone going to go shoot up a martial art school for wearing the same belt colours....pretty silly comparison. Maybe that happens in street gangs but this is martial arts they've chosen to do that who the hell cares it's not hurting anyone
It's a stolen valor type of thing. By using BJJ ranking they are trying to equate they are on the same level. Maybe they are, maybe not. It's silly, yes and in the grand scheme of things amounts to nothing. It's ridiculous IMO, to ride the coat tails of another's accomplishments to promote yourself, but to each their own. If they wanted a ranking system they could have easily made one up instead a stealing another's.

OP
anerlich

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it, though many KF schools with ranking systems seem to go for red and gold sashes to denote instructorhood rather than black belts.

Unless your traditions become impractical, be proud of them and keep them, IMO.

Some of the FB comments are pretty loopy, and at least one commentator lost his cool big time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Have you ever met a Brazilian?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On that part, I see no real controversy, either. Colors, ranks, etc. mean only what they mean to the folks using them. I think it's an odd choice, but if they were using no ranks and wanted to add some, they had to borrow from somewhere.

All the rest of it would be another question, entirely.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever met a Brazilian?
They are not the only, nor even the first, to use those colors. They selected them from a larger set. Heck, mainline NGA has all of those colors in their ranks, too, plus a couple of extras to spice it up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are not the only, nor even the first, to use those colors. They selected them from a larger set. Heck, mainline NGA has all of those colors in their ranks, too, plus a couple of extras to spice it up.

They are not the first to choke a fool unconscious over a pretend rank either.

But they do tend to do it on video it more often.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not the first to choke a fool unconscious over a pretend rank either.

But they do tend to do it on video it more often.
"Brown" isn't a BJJ rank, is my point. Just because these guys borrowed the color set and sequence from BJJ, they're not claiming BJJ rank, any more than they are claiming NGA rank.