Anyone know a good full time live-in Hapkido school?

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to move to a country where I'd have to get an apartment and a job while training. I'm looking for a live-in school. Does one exist for Hapkido, anywhere in the world?

Any recommendations would be quite welcome.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so...you are expecting someone else to just take care of you, so that you can indulge your desire to train and not have any responsibilities for taking care of yourself?

Are you older than about 15? Because that's just a fantasy. Life doesn't work that way. Time to grow up and be an adult.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The only place I know of is the YMAA Retreat Center and it is not cheap, you need to get accepted and then pay the tuition, as far as I know there is no Job required after that... However they are not taking applications at this time and I have no idea when they will start again. I know the ten year program is likely not coming up again until 2018 as for the 5 year I have no idea...and it is not Hapkido

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/full-time-program

There is also this

http://www.bridgeport.edu/academics/undergraduate/martialarts

But again you have to be accepted and you have to pay the tuition.... and also not hapkido

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only place I know of is the YMAA Retreat Center and it is not cheap, you need to get accepted and then pay the tuition, as far as I know there is no Job required after that... However they are not taking applications at this time and I have no idea when they will start again. I know the ten year program is likely not coming up again until 2018 as for the 5 year I have no idea...and it is not Hapkido

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/full-time-program

There is also this

http://www.bridgeport.edu/academics/undergraduate/martialarts

But again you have to be accepted and you have to pay the tuition.... and also not hapkido

The YMAA program looks interesting. I couldn't find a price tag. Probably have to call for that, and probably should be sitting down.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The YMAA program looks interesting. I couldn't find a price tag. Probably have to call for that, and probably should be sitting down.

aye. If you want someone else to take care of you, then you'd better be prepared to pay for it. And they want to make a nice profit above actual cost. So...it'll cost ya, I'm sure.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The 5 year program - Deadline for Application was January 2013

All applicants must pay the minimum tuition cost of US$10,000 every year. The cost is roughly divided as follows: $3000 for food, $2000 for utilities (i.e. propane, Internet, phone, fire insurance, etc.), $1500 for maintenance of the property (i.e. landscaping, gardening, gravel for the road, garbagedisposal, building expenses, etc.), and $2000 for other costs (i.e. car maintenance, gas, travel, office supplies, training equipment, books and other learning tools, student allowance, other shared expenses, etc.).​

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you look like a "toy boy"?
Maybe you could find yourself a rich "sugar mummy".
I thought of doing that once , but I've got a head like a smashed crab , so there wouldn't have been many takers unfortunately.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

[/LEFT]

That's actually not as high as I would have expected. I was considering making an offer for something like mebbe $100,000 per year. He can sleep in my garage, I'll provide food for three meals a day (hope he likes simple things like oatmeal, bananas, and peanutbutter sandwiches) and I'll even let him use the laundry machines. I'll give him instruction twice a week, mebbe three times, and he can spend as much of his time as he wants during the rest of the week practicing. The back patio is nice for training and there's room in the garage when the weather turns bad.

He'll have to provide his own car and transportation, clothing, training gear like weaponry, etc. but he can use my heavybags and focus mitts if he wants.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's actually not as high as I would have expected. I was considering making an offer for something like mebbe $100,000 per year. He can sleep in my garage, I'll provide food for three meals a day (hope he likes simple things like oatmeal, bananas, and peanutbutter sandwiches) and I'll even let him use the laundry machines. I'll give him instruction twice a week, mebbe three times, and he can spend as much of his time as he wants during the rest of the week practicing. The back patio is nice for training and there's room in the garage when the weather turns bad.

He'll have to provide his own car and transportation, clothing, training gear like weaponry, etc. but he can use my heavybags and focus mitts if he wants.

They actually offer a heck of a lot of training for that $10,000 a year and that includes food, allowance and they even give you the honor of cleaning the place up and doing the grounds keeping on weekends

Here is the app with all the pricing and explanation of what those that are allowed to go there will be doing

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/files/student_app_jan12.pdf

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finding a live in program is really not very realistic. Sure there are a few but a better idea is to find some place that you would enjoy training that is local to where you live. If that is not doable then travel to some place, find a place to live, a job and then train.

OP
M

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
so...you are expecting someone else to just take care of you, so that you can indulge your desire to train and not have any responsibilities for taking care of yourself?

Are you older than about 15? Because that's just a fantasy. Life doesn't work that way. Time to grow up and be an adult.

The phrase goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". You apparently heard it as: "If you have something counter-productive, moronic, unprovoked and completely unhelpful to say, you should say it soon as you can."

Xue Sheng - Thanks for the links.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The phrase goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". You apparently heard it as: "If you have something counter-productive, moronic, unprovoked and completely unhelpful to say, you should say it soon as you can."

I'm not sure I would have gone there....

Flying Crane is well trained, very skilled in his art and has a great (traditional) teacher and would likely be a better source of information for you that you are making him here

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Police Officer: "You murdered a 15 year old girl. Youre under arrest.
Serial Killer: "The phrase goes 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything'. You apparently heard it as: 'If you have something counter-productive, moronic, unprovoked and completely unhelpful to say, you should say it soon as you can.'"
Police Officer: "Oh. Im sorry. I didnt mean to say anything that might contradict you. It wont happen again."

*ahem*

That saying is garbage.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Xue Sheng - Thanks for the links.

Look, I'll apologize if I came across as beating you down. But I am just calling it like I see it. Your first post to open this thread came across as a spoiled kid who is accustomed to getting what he wants and indulging his whims while others take care of his daily details that he can't be bothered with. If that's not you, if that's not what you meant, well then my apologies. But that's the message I got from it. Maybe there's a better way to express what you want out of this notion, I dunno.

and maybe I'm just annoyed because it's been a rough week at the office. Could be both. But even tho I went to work all week I still managed to train four out of the five weekdays this week, and both Saturday and Sunday. And I expect to train both days this weekend too. And I paid my bills last night, including my mortgage. So working a job, paying the bills, taking care of oneself, while sometimes a drag, is a good thing in the big picture. For one thing, it gives you freedom to do what you want, like pay for training. And if you find yourself in a bad training situation, you can always walk away from it and find a different one because you aren't trapped or otherwise beholden to an expensive live-in situation with nowhere else to go and no other resources.

That's just me, I guess. I like to have some control over my life and I accept what it takes to maintain that. Like having a job and a home that I pay for. Even tho a job can often be a drag. Yeah, I fantasize about winning the lottery too, but I that hasn't happened yet and I'm realistic enough that I don't count on it.

Riffix

White Belt
Reaction score

[/LEFT]

Looks like you can go and train as a visitor and pay by the day also.

Anyone is welcome to participate during the Regular Training periods with the 10-year program students. There is no seminar during these two periods. There is no special or personal attention to these visiting participants. You will live, eat, and train with regular students and follow the daily training schedule. You will abide by the rules of the Retreat Center. Please consider this carefully before you sign up. You are welcome during two "Regular Training' periods: September 1 - December 15 and January 16 - June 30.

http://ymaa.com/training/retreatcenter/regular-time-training

That's a lot of training you can fit in without committing to 5 or 10 years, if you are willing to pay by the day. (depending on how long they will let you stay like that)

I'd hate it if I shelled out 10k to find I didn't like the place!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Riffix

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to move to a country where I'd have to get an apartment and a job while training. I'm looking for a live-in school. Does one exist for Hapkido, anywhere in the world?

Any recommendations would be quite welcome.

What's your end goal? Open your own dojo? Have you considered trying to find a job in hapkido? I knew a guy who trained in kenpo, he started off cleaning up the place and getting thrown around by the master, then joined in training the juniors, then the adults and eventually when it came time for them to expand guess who got asked to run the new place? ...Chuck Norris.. :p ..nah that guy.

Its a lot more work and you would need a place to stay and most likely a part time job to begin with but if you work hard enough it could become your full time job and it could be paying for your accommodation. Surely that's better than shelling out thousands, going away for years then coming home a master to have to find a place to live and work?

Just my opinion.. :p

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Look, I'll apologize if I came across as beating you down. But I am just calling it like I see it. Your first post to open this thread came across as a spoiled kid who is accustomed to getting what he wants and indulging his whims while others take care of his daily details that he can't be bothered with. If that's not you, if that's not what you meant, well then my apologies. But that's the message I got from it. Maybe there's a better way to express what you want out of this notion, I dunno.

and maybe I'm just annoyed because it's been a rough week at the office. Could be both. But even tho I went to work all week I still managed to train four out of the five weekdays this week, and both Saturday and Sunday. And I expect to train both days this weekend too. And I paid my bills last night, including my mortgage. So working a job, paying the bills, taking care of oneself, while sometimes a drag, is a good thing in the big picture. For one thing, it gives you freedom to do what you want, like pay for training. And if you find yourself in a bad training situation, you can always walk away from it and find a different one because you aren't trapped or otherwise beholden to an expensive live-in situation with nowhere else to go and no other resources.

That's just me, I guess. I like to have some control over my life and I accept what it takes to maintain that. Like having a job and a home that I pay for. Even tho a job can often be a drag. Yeah, I fantasize about winning the lottery too, but I that hasn't happened yet and I'm realistic enough that I don't count on it.

Oh just admit it....you were being a Cynical Curmudgeon :D

I too would love to train all day and not have to work.... but I have a family, a house, a car, and a job.

I am happy to say that I was able to get in 5 out of 5 days of training this week and I am hoping to train today as well. But this is not common, I generally shoot for 4 days a week, now that I can actually train again. But looking at what I do after work when I get home I do see where I could fit in training every week day, just as long as I don't let the day get to me and take that to my recliner after dinner.

Even if I could go to China and train (and it would not be at Shaolin) I would have to get a job, work, and figure out how to fit training in to my day.

Training all day is a nice fantasy but it is not reality and to be honest there are a lot of things in my life I don't want to give up in order to do that.

As for lottery.... it would be nice...but I am told I actually have to buy the ticket to win.....DAMN!!! There is always a catch :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh just admit it....you were being a Cynical Curmudgeon :D

I too would love to train all day and not have to work.... but I have a family, a house, a car, and a job.

I am happy to say that I was able to get in 5 out of 5 days of training this week and I am hoping to train today as well. But this is not common, I generally shoot for 4 days a week, now that I can actually train again. But looking at what I do after work when I get home I do see where I could fit in training every week day, just as long as I don't let the day get to me and take that to my recliner after dinner.

Even if I could go to China and train (and it would not be at Shaolin) I would have to get a job, work, and figure out how to fit training in to my day.

Training all day is a nice fantasy but it is not reality and to be honest there are a lot of things in my life I don't want to give up in order to do that.

As for lottery.... it would be nice...but I am told I actually have to buy the ticket to win.....DAMN!!! There is always a catch :D

I find that I'm usually better at getting to my training when life is busy with other things. That forces me to make priorities and GET ON IT. If I'm not busy and have all day, I can get lazy, get distracted with other things, and the next thing I know the day has gone and I've failed to do my training.

Too much free time is not always a good thing.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my teacher accepted live in students it cost $1, 000 a week.
You had to do everything like he did even that which wasn't martial arts.
It would be better just to do private lessons 4 hours a day
Then have to wait till your teacher finishes stinking up the bathroom
So you can brush your teeth.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If aikido is a reasonable enough substitute for hapkido (and it is unless you cannot miss the striking aspect of hapkido), there are live-in programs all over the world, including the United States. Some of them are very low cost or even free depending on the circumstance. Google for 'uchi deshi aikido'. You will bring up plenty of leads. I won't bother quoting prices since those can change and honestly not everyone always pays the same price - it's highly dependent on timing, slot availability, and individual financial circumstances.

Latest Discussions