Anyone else use Yao Bu?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a few translations; shaking step is the literal one 搖步 but it can also be translated as rowing step, or walking step because of the motion of the upper body, or the legs respectively.

The best I've got in terms of online references would be the stance guide I released recently which talks more about the stance- Shaolin Stance Guide — Kung Fit: Kung Fu and Fitness to stay Fit for Life

The Shaolin Yuzhai channel has videos of forms which show the movement in use (such as the er lu da tong bei quan one), as does my own, but there's nothing else I know of out there, other than a handful of old forum posts mentioning it. Which is why I'm making a video about it and gong bu at the moment.

From a Shaolin long fist perspective yao bu and gong bu make use of translational movement of your mass to generate power, in slightly different ways. This contrasts with the rotational mechanics which are now more popular.

It's quite a complicated topic, which I think is why it's not widely known or even taught by people who do know it. I fully expect to enrage a lot of people though

I think it really clears up a lot of things to think of these two approaches to power generation, and understand when one is being misapplied; it doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that there can be a better way.
Enrage people? Why?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, you learned this as 搖. A Shaolin art under a different name smells as sweet.

柔 (rou in Mandarin/yao in Cantonese/Hakka) is the traditional Shaolin for "soft/supple" and the foundation for several different core Buddhist and Taoist training methods, especially the internal Nei Gong, and an old school Shaolin family tree out of Hong Kong and San Fran (the Yau Kung Mun) that is totally legit.

Given the similarity between "shaking" and "supple", there might be some connection between these, but I'd be interested in native sources if you've found some (like, manuals in Mandarin if you got any). But for certain, "yao" will mean "soft" in the southern (non-mandarin) Shaolin traditions.

I'll check out your newsletter, don't be surprised if I use a fake name to order it.
Howdy oily! How ya been?

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Enrage people? Why?
Well, you'd be surprised. People don't like hearing they don't know something. I got an awful lot of grief after a previous video where I described using Xie Xing as a strike. I was categorically told by a number of people that it was a throw and nothing else...

Last edited:
OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a Chinese, I have never heard the term Yao Bu 搖步. I still don't know what it is.

If you watch the video I posted above it talks about the stance and what distinguishes it from gong bu, at least within Shaolin

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a Chinese, I have never heard the term Yao Bu 搖步. I still don't know what it is.

Have you heard of 柔, yao kiu? This is a very deep Shaolin idea, much deeper than stances and punching bags. No Mandarin required. ;D

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you'd be surprised. People don't like hearing they don't know something. I got an awful lot of grief after a previous video where I described using Xie Xing as a strike. I was categorically told by a number of people that it was a throw and nothing else...
Well you won’t hear that from me. To me it’s just all motion. Tell me it’s a block and watch me use it as a strike. Good on you for exploring. You could just use it as such on a resisting opponent and make a video.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was that on this forum?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All apologies, I don’t know the Chinese names. Can you translate those for me please. thank you.
1. Horse stance
2. Bow arrow stance
3. Striking tiger stance
4. Empty stance
5. Twisting stance
6. 4-6 stance
7. Golden rooster stance
8. 7 stars stance
9. Monkey stance

long_fist_stances.jpg

long_fist_stance_1.jpg

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's dynamic step (not static stance), it still need to be transfer from 1 stance into another stance. So if the starting point is a bow_arrow stance then what's the ending stance?
I don’t know. Let’s pose that question to Damien. I have guesses but I’m simply out of my depth when we talk using Cantonese or Mandarin.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the squeezing between the Gong (hard) Fist, and Yao (soft) fist in One Finger Zen formation, that makes the Yao really stand out in a crowd.

Also, Wood element. . 震

1662520441600.png

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's the squeezing between the Gong (hard) Fist, and Yao (soft) fist in One Finger Zen formation, that makes the Yao really stand out in a crowd.

Also, Wood element. . 震

View attachment 28857
That look like a horse stance to me. What's the weight distributation?

- 30/70?
- 40/60?
- 50/50?

Are both feet completely on the ground?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also, Wood element. . 震

View attachment 28857

Also, Wood element. . 震

View attachment 28857
It’s not really “soft” more like supple or wrapping if I understand correctly.