Anyone else use Yao Bu?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I wouldn’t be able to tell one from another to know which is the better.

about what exactly?
You posted it. #90, dude.

"My system is a family system so we don’t have a ton of Shaolin influence"

You're funny.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You posted it. #90, dude.

"My system is a family system so we don’t have a ton of Shaolin influence"

You're funny.
Meaning ? Sure it all has a root. I’m not sure why you are so uptight about stuff like old Chinese guys saying the temple is a tourist trap. It kinda is man. If I say that the influence is not directly Northern Shaolin is that somehow funny, or a reason to insult me? I confess my ignorance on a regular basis, I don’t deserve your disrespect. I had thought I missed your posts…

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meaning ? Sure it all has a root. I’m not sure why you are so uptight about stuff like old Chinese guys saying the temple is a tourist trap. It kinda is man. If I say that the influence is not directly Northern Shaolin is that somehow funny, or a reason to insult me? I confess my ignorance on a regular basis, I don’t deserve your disrespect. I had thought I missed your posts…
You think I'm uptight? :-(

I just called it "Kung Fu Disneyland(tm)" homey.

Trademarked, even. Word is bond.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You think I'm uptight? :-(

I just called it "Kung Fu Disneyland(tm)" homey.

Trademarked, even. Word is bond.
Well then how is Sifu Woo wrong ? If like any church they sheltered bandits, and it’s Kung fu Disneyland, then it sounds like he was right and you agree. Am I missing something?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then how is Sifu Woo wrong ? If like any church they sheltered bandits, and it’s Kung fu Disneyland, then it sounds like he was right and you agree. Am I missing something?
Yes. Post #90. Maybe it was the way you worded it but the temples were not criminal dens back then, the modern temple is not just acrobatic performers and stuff for tourists. Of course there is a tourist side.

All sorts of people go to church for protection, guidance. It's kind of a cliche. Because priests help people, and that's what Shaolin really is. But Shaolin Si was also a common meeting place for military men, even generals, so any criminals hiding there might get caught. But I'm sure like most monasteries, those guys were trying to repent etc).

Shaolin at Songshan is one of the most important epicenters of Buddhism in the world. That said, sure many sifus believe it is over hyped. Depends on their interests I guess. Hype goes alongside being awesome.

When I said it was Kung Fu Disney, that was a complement. In fact, the actual Chinese Disneyland is not nearly as awesome (though they do have that new TRON ride..., but that's just my opinion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. Post #90. Maybe it was the way you worded it but the temples were not criminal dens back then, the modern temple is not just acrobatic performers and stuff for tourists. Of course there is a tourist side.

All sorts of people go to church for protection, guidance. It's kind of a cliche. Because priests help people, and that's what Shaolin really is. But Shaolin Si was also a common meeting place for military men, even generals, so any criminals hiding there might get caught. But I'm sure like most monasteries, those guys were trying to repent etc).

Shaolin at Songshan is one of the most important epicenters of Buddhism in the world. That said, sure many sifus believe it is over hyped. Depends on their interests I guess. Hype goes alongside being awesome.

When I said it was Kung Fu Disney, that was a complement. In fact, the actual Chinese Disneyland is not nearly as awesome (though they do have that new TRON ride..., but that's just my opinion.
My Sifu and Sigung were Taoist. Maybe that has some bearing on his comments? He grew up in Canton 1920s until 1941 when he came back to the US to fight the Japanese. He was a hard critic of many things, including the Dalai Lama, Ed Parker, and Bruce Lee.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Does my last post make any sense?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Sifu and Sigung were Taoist. Maybe that has some bearing on his comments? He grew up in Canton 1920s until 1941 when he came back to the US to fight the Japanese. He was a hard critic of many things, including the Dalai Lama, Ed Parker, and Bruce Lee.
Shaolin Si is actually one of the most important centers for Daoism too. You could really call the whole Chan tradition mashup of Buddhist and Daoist philosophy.

Honestly, if you want a good, reliable history pick up Meir Shahars book (I think I misspelled him as Mahar earlier...my bad). That was has peer reviewed content, and a great history of how the empty handed styles developed.

If you want a funny take on the tourism pick up "American Shaolin" by Matt Polly. really funny first hand take by someone who actually went to train there for 2 years. Not only a great wake up call to the real training, but it might give some insight on the current situation with the Communists.

In fact that last part (government oppression/corruption and how they milk this ancient lineage) might explain your sifus stance.

1663093031682.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does my last post make any sense?
Sure, thanks for clarifying that. He really might just hate the Communists. Shaolin Si is actually one of the most oppressed religious centers in the world, when you think about it.

Imagine if Italy had stayed Fascist, and what the Vatican would be like today. All those Catholics with their dreams and dollars, visiting every year.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, thanks for clarifying that. He really might just hate the Communists. Shaolin Si is actually one of the most oppressed religious centers in the world, when you think about it.

Imagine if Italy had stayed Fascist, and what the Vatican would be like today. All those Catholics with their dreams and dollars, visiting every year.
He was definitely not a fan of the communists. That may have colored his opinions.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
He was definitely not a fan of the communists. That may have colored his opinions.
My grandma was born and raised in Communist Russia. She hated them to the end, and blamed them for everything going wrong with the world, even though she left there in the 30s.

Latest Discussions