Anyone else notice...

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That the MMA fights on T.V. - the guy who talks the most smack is usually the guy who loses the match? Now, I don't watch MMA very much, so I can't say how common that is, so I'm curious to hear from bigger fans if they have noticed this to be the case as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of fights I watch are live ones where there's no smack talk, rarely see MMA on TV as I don't particularly like the UFC. If there's a fighter I want to see I usually watch a video of their fight so again no smack talk.
You have to remember that the smack talk is only done to entice viewers who aren't actually MMA fans to watch, usually on the pay per view channels. It's not that much part of MMA itself, it's more a media thing.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
That the MMA fights on T.V. - the guy who talks the most smack is usually the guy who loses the match? Now, I don't watch MMA very much, so I can't say how common that is, so I'm curious to hear from bigger fans if they have noticed this to be the case as well.
I did notice that too. Especially on the show. I can't count the number of times I heard "Do you know who I am?" "I'm the best!" "I'm the baddest" "I'm going to do this...that..blah blah blah....." Then, their first match and they're outa there in less than 1 round. Oddly enough, for some reason they stay around and everytime I watch future fights, they seem to lose those too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What shows do you have on TV?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those sound like TUF seasons...

That's where the majority of smack talking happens. I don't really see too much smack talk on major events. Usually, during interviews, the fighters will say something like:

"He's expecting me to do this, but I've been training to do that. He's not as good at stand up as I am...."

Things like that. I don't really consider that smack talk, though. Most of the time, what they're saying is correct anyway.

When I see smack talk, it's usually going on in that house in TUF, and I think alot of that is encouraged simply because it's a reality TV show. The general public doesn't want to see fighters training, they want to see drama...they want to see conflict. It's a proven fact that reality TV producers base their judgements for casting more on personality than skill for any of the reality shows now. They are more likely to cast 2 people who are on opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to attitude than 2 people who would be more likely to get along.

It's all about what sells. Competition just for the sake of competition doesn't sell as well as "vendetta matches".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I tend to tivo the shows, so I only watch the fights and skip through the majority of the pre-fight buildup.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Often times when you watch fights that are on a television show like TUF or any of Spike's airings of previous fights, remember that there is an editing process after the fact.

Regardless of the amount of smack talk used to try and sell themselves, it is all caught on tape. Then after the fight, the editing team puts together the footage that will make the most entertaining episode.

Latest Discussions