Anyone else not understand/like modern pop music?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
With the exception of artists like Adele, I don't understand why people like this stuff. To me it's objectively crap. Thoughts?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did anyone ever stop and think that it is the Americans that are strange? The rest of the world listens to music you can dance to, and Americans are still stuck on trying to turn Folk music into rock ballads. It's a wash, people. Embrace the beat! -vampfeed-

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of modern Pop, I used to listen to techno and industrial music, and I'll be damned if modern Pop isn't exactly the same. I kind of like it now! :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I genuinely cannot understand most of what Nikki Minaj sings.

As far as I have been able to ascertain this it what she sings in the verse she has in Bang Bang :-

It it it’s miss miss gaddle it’s frizz in the paddle it’s Nicki fortadle it’s uuh uuh.
Swimming in a craddle we win it in the lotto we tipping in a paddle blue faux show.
Kissing so good it’s dripping on wood get a ride in the engine that could, yo.
Bet me a robin a bing bing cocking it queen Nikki dominant permanent it’s me.
Jesse and Ari if they test me they sorry riders up like a Harley then pull off in this Ferrari.
If he hanging we banging phone ringing he slanging,
It din Karaoke night but get the mike cuz I’m singing.
G to the A to the N to the G to the aah,
B to the A to the N to the G to the hey.
See anybody could be good to you, you need a bad girl to blow your mind, ok

I know that isn't what she's singing, but that's what it sounds like, to me at least. But even so what on earth is she talking about? It took me eight attempts to realise that Jesse J sings She got a body like an hour glass at the beginning rather than She got a body like an alba bass.

And don't even get me started on Pound The Alarm.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the exception of artists like Adele, I don't understand why people like this stuff. To me it's objectively crap. Thoughts?

It may help to free yourself of the notion that any music is objectively crap or objectively great, for that matter. There is no universal standard by which you can rate the quality of music.

Music exists to communicate emotion and ideas. If a given song works for you to convey that feeling, then it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It makes no sense for me to stand on the outside and tell you that you should or shouldn't react that way to the song.

You could read me the greatest poem ever written in Swahili, and I won't get it because I don't understand the language. By the same token, if you play a song for me in a musical idiom that I don't instinctively understand, then I won't appreciate it either.

There are plenty of modern pop songs that I like and plenty that I don't like. There are plenty of old songs that I like and plenty that I don't like. There are songs which I used to not like, but have come to appreciate more over the years as I grew to understand the musical language they are couched in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like a lot of new music, and there is a lot I don't like. Same as always.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may help to free yourself of the notion that any music is objectively crap or objectively great, for that matter. There is no universal standard by which you can rate the quality of music.

Music exists to communicate emotion and ideas. If a given song works for you to convey that feeling, then it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It makes no sense for me to stand on the outside and tell you that you should or shouldn't react that way to the song.

You could read me the greatest poem ever written in Swahili, and I won't get it because I don't understand the language. By the same token, if you play a song for me in a musical idiom that I don't instinctively understand, then I won't appreciate it either.

There are plenty of modern pop songs that I like and plenty that I don't like. There are plenty of old songs that I like and plenty that I don't like. There are songs which I used to not like, but have come to appreciate more over the years as I grew to understand the musical language they are couched in.

Summary ? Dr. Daniel J. Levitin

He actually explains music rather nicely. (but as I recall, there is actually a formula for a 'good' song, that works many times over, even if the songs don't seem to have anything in common. The time honored and tested 'hits')

And Nikki Minaj needs to go by way of the dodo bird....But hey, being freaky has her laughing all the way to the bank, good for her I suppose....

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Summary ? Dr. Daniel J. Levitin

He actually explains music rather nicely. (but as I recall, there is actually a formula for a 'good' song, that works many times over, even if the songs don't seem to have anything in common. The time honored and tested 'hits')

And Nikki Minaj needs to go by way of the dodo bird....But hey, being freaky has her laughing all the way to the bank, good for her I suppose....

i have a copy of Levitin's This Is Your Brain on Music. Excellent book.

Latest Discussions