Anybody heard of this guy?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to find some info on a Tracy Kenpo guy from the 1960s and 1970s or so (I believe, anyway). His name is Rodney Hard. I believe he wrote a book (unpublished) about sparring principles, based on information he learned from Joe Lewis.

I believe he also has a background in Korean arts, Hapkido specifically, tho perhaps others as well.

Anybody know anything about him?

thanks!

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to find some info on a Tracy Kenpo guy from the 1960s and 1970s or so (I believe, anyway). His name is Rodney Hard. I believe he wrote a book (unpublished) about sparring principles, based on information he learned from Joe Lewis.

I believe he also has a background in Korean arts, Hapkido specifically, tho perhaps others as well.

Anybody know anything about him?

thanks!

Michael, I believe he is in CA. Check with Ted Sumner or GM Al Tracy. I also found this link: http://www.tracyskaratestudios.com/ same guy?!

Good Luck!

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael, I believe he is in CA. Check with Ted Sumner or GM Al Tracy. I also found this link: http://www.tracyskaratestudios.com/ same guy?!

Good Luck!

Hi Dave,

I did ask Ted, the name was familiar to him, but he could not remember exactly who he was. Ted said he'd ask Al about him, but in the meantime I thought I'd throw the question out there and see if anyone knows him.

I think it's possible that my first kenpo instructor in Wisconsin, in the mid 1980s, may have studied with Rodney Hard. So I guess I'm just trying to find out a bit of info.

I checked the link you listed, I didn't see his name on that website. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i found this, 2 products re-issued
Classic:
Written Freestyle Manual
Complete guide to Tournament Freestyle
Fighting based upon the principles of
World Champion Joe Lewis.
Compiled by Dr. Rodney Hard, a long time Tracy's, Joe Lewis and Al Dacascos student/instructor/disciple.
Used for over 25 years by almost every Tracy competitor
$35 sale price,

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, I ran into that as well. I wasn't sure if it was a current posting, if this item is still available. But I did stumble across it thru a Yahoo search.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i have a friend out on the coast,been in tracys for a very long time , i'll call him and see what he knows.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is on the Tracy's website.

yes, I saw that. It sort of seemed like it might have been something from an archive or something, maybe not current. I hadn't found it thru my normal surfing of their site. It only showed up when I specifically searched from Rodney Hard.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yes, I saw that. It sort of seemed like it might have been something from an archive or something, maybe not current. I hadn't found it thru my normal surfing of their site. It only showed up when I specifically searched from Rodney Hard.

I am sure it is current. It is still on the main page of the website. You have to scroll down a bit.

2 products re-issued
Classic:
Written Freestyle Manual
Complete guide to Tournament Freestyle
Fighting based upon the principles of
World Champion Joe Lewis.
Compiled by
Dr. Rodney Hard, a long time Tracy's, Joe Lewis and Al Dacascos student/instructor/disciple.
Used for over 25 years by almost every Tracy competitor
$35 sale price

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could this be him. A lot of chiropractors in the martial arts.

http://www.40-30-30.com/insight.html

That's probably him. I just got a note from Ted Sumner, he asked Al Tracy about Rodney Hard, and Al mentioned that he believes Mr. Hard lives in Indiana somewhere. Thanks for the link.

I'll see Ted this evening and will have a chance to hear what else Al told him.

Latest Discussions