Anybody heard of or do this?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Ive discovered my next side hobby. Take a look at this...

http://www.parkour.com/
http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/

The martial, escape and evasion, (Not to mention pursuit :) ) and fitness component of this stuff is very interesting. Not to mention cool...

Anybody heard of, practice or have any experience with Le Parkour, AKA "Free-Running" or "PK" ??

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is awesome! Can you imagine a game of tag played like that! I'm seriously going to go to the park and probably break something now because of this! Thanks...

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can just imagine the look in some guys eyes as I vault a few fences coming at him...of course combat boots and 20 lbs of belt can throw a kink in a lot of this stuff.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very Cool! Its amazing the things humans are capable of doing that we just never realize. Illustrates the "magical" beliefs people had about people like the Ninja. Who would believe a person could jump from building to building like that?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Very Cool! Its amazing the things humans are capable of doing that we just never realize. Illustrates the "magical" beliefs people had about people like the Ninja. Who would believe a person could jump from building to building like that?
Now, THAT is an interesting point. These guys trained hard to do this kind of stuff...no magical powers required (I think the concept of "magic" or "chi" is something of a lazy westerner bastardization btw). Why wouldn't there be people who could have done this stuff in the past? Most certainly, it would be the kind of stuff people would tell stories about!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Now, THAT is an interesting point. These guys trained hard to do this kind of stuff...no magical powers required (I think the concept of "magic" or "chi" is something of a lazy westerner bastardization btw). Why wouldn't there be people who could have done this stuff in the past? Most certainly, it would be the kind of stuff people would tell stories about!
The best "magic" is plain old hard work and practice....yes, Im fairly certain that many of the "magical" feats of Ninja lore and other "Warrior Wizard" type legends were probably very similar to this stuff.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks very cool, as far as effective, I dont know enough to critique it, but I am not a fan of high kicks. What I was thinking as I saw that though, if you are pursuing a hollywood career in martial arts or something like that, this seems very eye catching. Nice video. And yes it is quite amazing to see those guys perform all those leaps and falls.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
It looks very cool, as far as effective, I dont know enough to critique it, but I am not a fan of high kicks. What I was thinking as I saw that though, if you are pursuing a hollywood career in martial arts or something like that, this seems very eye catching. Nice video. And yes it is quite amazing to see those guys perform all those leaps and falls.
Don't forget about foot-jutsu!

I think the self-defense nature of this stuff is very practical. Heck, people who train for self defense always talk about running away as a good defense. Why not train for it!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Don't forget about foot-jutsu!

I think the self-defense nature of this stuff is very practical. Heck, people who train for self defense always talk about running away as a good defense. Why not train for it!
If you take out the "flash factor" and just concentrate on the "flow philosophy" these guys espouse, you would be very hard to catch. Of course a lot of that depends on familiarity with the terrain. These guys plan out these intricate routines, but the basics of fence jumping, dropping from heights, etc...very useful.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
cool as it is....

its nothing new to be honest.
My friends and I used to do stuff like this "back in the old days".
The only problem being is,back then...it was called criminal tresspassing!
And the judges were VERY insulting about it too!
BUT.....

Its still damn cool and beats the crap out of "criminal" activities and just spending all day in front of the XBOX!
(damn...were is that whiny key when you need it)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
If you take out the "flash factor" and just concentrate on the "flow philosophy" these guys espouse, you would be very hard to catch. Of course a lot of that depends on familiarity with the terrain. These guys plan out these intricate routines, but the basics of fence jumping, dropping from heights, etc...very useful.
I think the intricate routines could be seen as "kata" and more spontaineous training that utilized "basics" would make this into something martial artsy. I would add in juijutsu escape techniques coupled with movement disabling strikes. Perhaps some scenario training. Hmmm, time to play...

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
could someone summerize all of this for me....my computer dosn't play vids (I am on one at school) so could someone please describe this art to me.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spiderman... without the webs ;)

It's a "extreme sport" type of thing that is based around jumping, and some really crazy ones two. Jumping from heights, to heights, building to building, balancing on rails, etc.The second link has lots of pictures and descriptions of the basic "techniques"

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen this several times before, and yes it is quite impressive.

I have thought the same thing as some of you guys in the past, comparing what these do to "ninja magic"

Those dudes definately have their ukemi down pat.

T

TonyM.

Cool stuff. They showed a bit of this on an episode of CSINY. Everything about it appeals to me.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
I have seen this several times before, and yes it is quite impressive.

I have thought the same thing as some of you guys in the past, comparing what these do to "ninja magic"

Those dudes definately have their ukemi down pat.
Lol, ninja magic, yeah I remember thinking something like that!

In Britain its called free running, its fantastic, would love to do it, though no where does it in my area :jedi1: .
Somebody mentioned Jump Briton, that be the one, looks really good!

Wish I could do it..........

Anybody heard of wushu central martial arts and their team Zero gravity? Apparently they do stuff similar to this.

www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/zerogravity.com

(No no, one more post and I hit the 400 mark!)

Latest Discussions