Anybody heard of or do this?

G

goshawk

Tgace said:
I think Ive discovered my next side hobby.
You said it! Although...crap. I'm going to hurt so much this summer...::grin:: Still, this is much with the shiny.

zujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
Parkour is known as the art of the escape it emphasizes flow and efficiency(not big drops or crazy stunts ) so that when needed you can escape from a situation without worrying about a confrontation I have been practicing parkour for about a year and recently made a video here it is for anybody that is interested. And if your still interested after the vid you can e-mail me and i can show you where to go to learn the basic techniques of this discipline and the various philosophies that lie beneath the surface of this so called"extreme sport" and another interesting thing about this art is true parkour is strictly non-competitive.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PJF3QOO36N0Q1YLY5VS8O1NKS

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I was trying some of this out this past weekend. My poarch has a flat roof and it is about an 8 1/2 - 9 foot drop from the roof into my back yard. I basically did about a 3 or 4 step run and jumped off. Landed on my feet and then staight into the front roll. Tried it three times without any broken bones, so all is well.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to do it onto anything harder than the grass though.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am with tgace and goshawk on it possibly becoming my next side hobby. I think it would be very cool to train for and do.

zujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a video up in the members in motion area of this site of you guys would like to see it.....also if you guys have any questions on some of the actual techniques in it I would be happy to help...

zujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
Also pk is'nt about big drops and crazy stunts...it's about moving fluidly and efficiently through your environment and has various philosophies as well...one good way to approach parkour is with the mushin(no mind) philosophy.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started tooling around with it at a local skate park. The obstacles were right for beginning I thought. I also did the city hall stairs, rails and fountains.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any gyms in the U.S. that specialize in parkour? If so, where are they located?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree this is very cool stuff to watch, and it looks like fun! I think it has to do with your training and ability to let go of your fears, like high diving, skydiving, gymnastics or skiing, snowboarding jumps, really any of these types of sports, you have to train properly and let go. Apparently this training, like most extreme sports, is not without injury though and should be done with supervision from a trained person in this system - check out the injury link on the first page that lists all the possible injuries. I wouldn't recommend people go leaping off buildings without proper training, and make sure you won't get arrested for doing so first. I imagine most landlords wouldn't ok this for liability reasons. Also, I wonder if there is footage of the guys who missed their marks SPLAT! Like uh-oh, two more inches and I would have made it. For you guys who expressed interest in doing this, please do it smart! :)

MJ :asian:

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure that it is not without injury. Running and jumping off a nine foot roof could easily cause a broken leg/ankle/random body part if you don't know how to roll out of it.

I would say it is like most anything. It is very fun to do, and I am sure that people always want to try things that are just beyond your current ability.

I am going to try and get some video this week.

zujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
as for how to start this...When I began I just searched the net and found some tutorials on how to do some of the techniques and when out and tried them....but also know that even though there are injuries(there is with everything) one thing I have to stress is start off easy then work your way up its not about "that looks high lets jump off it" its about mastering your body and your surroundings so you will be able to move efficiently no matter where you are....as for gyms or actual trainers in this art the only gym I know of in the u.s.that does this is in kerrville texas(but I think they are trying to get some in N.Y.C)....other wise you have to learn on your own(unless you live in england) or find a more advanced traceur(one who practices parkour) in your area to help you out.I can also try and help but there is only so much you can do over the net....but I can't stress enough that it takes practice and even with practice you'll need a keen eye and some good sense for all those what ifs(slippery surfaces...areas unfit for the weight of the human body, broken glass, etc.) that also means as much as you might want to go run over and vault that rail unless your familiar with the area(and even then) you need to check your surfaces....especially if there has been some precipitation or other weather...just if people were wondering the worst injury I have had is I pulled the tendons in my wrist and bruised my palms( I would have been fine except I fell on a steel grate)

Also unlike extreme sports Parkour is strictly non-competitive(except you against yourself) but there are various games(which are just like regular games with a pk spin on them I.E. pk tag) and there are various philosophies as to how parkour can translate to everyday life and other things(which for the life of me I can't think of right now....need more sleep)

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
zujitsu said:
as for how to start this...When I began I just searched the net and found some tutorials on how to do some of the techniques and when out and tried them....but also know that even though there are injuries(there is with everything) one thing I have to stress is start off easy then work your way up its not about "that looks high lets jump off it" its about mastering your body and your surroundings so you will be able to move efficiently no matter where you are....as for gyms or actual trainers in this art the only gym I know of in the u.s.that does this is in kerrville texas(but I think they are trying to get some in N.Y.C)....other wise you have to learn on your own(unless you live in england) or find a more advanced traceur(one who practices parkour) in your area to help you out.I can also try and help but there is only so much you can do over the net....but I can't stress enough that it takes practice and even with practice you'll need a keen eye and some good sense for all those what ifs(slippery surfaces...areas unfit for the weight of the human body, broken glass, etc.) that also means as much as you might want to go run over and vault that rail unless your familiar with the area(and even then) you need to check your surfaces....especially if there has been some precipitation or other weather...just if people were wondering the worst injury I have had is I pulled the tendons in my wrist and bruised my palms( I would have been fine except I fell on a steel grate)

Also unlike extreme sports Parkour is strictly non-competitive(except you against yourself) but there are various games(which are just like regular games with a pk spin on them I.E. pk tag) and there are various philosophies as to how parkour can translate to everyday life and other things(which for the life of me I can't think of right now....need more sleep)
Very cool advise.

One thing that is worth mentioning is to watch out for the shoulders when rolling out of a jump. Last night I came down a bit hard on mine when jumping around. Nothing serious, but I will deffinately be much more aware of how my shoulders come down in the future. Last night I when too much staight down and kind of jammed it.

Happy running.

Latest Discussions