Anybody Else Watch World Combat League?

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My kru/sensei went in as a replacement fighter (didn't get a chance to fight) for the LA vs Oklahoma match - hopefully he's going to be able to compete as a regular (makes things a bit more intersting to watch, seeing what one is taught put into use).

OP
K31

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of the fighters own or operate schools.

OP
K31

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
More reminders and some kind of "behind-the-scenes" show?:

Subject: VS Show Reminders

You have requested to be reminded of the following shows:

INSIDE THE WCL: March 6, 2007, 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm
WORLD COMBAT LEAGUE: March 6, 2007, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Please note, all show times are Eastern Time.

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is great funto watch. Interesting to see how the point fighters fare with kick boxing knockouts. Speed versus power concepts. On the whole the fighters are pretty good, although they allow for some sloppy techniques since the fighter always has to be aggressive.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is reminicent of the PKA of decades ago....It definitely has more of a Karate feel opposed to the UF....I'm not a grappler therefore I like to see the levels being exercised via punch/kick....I am dissapointed though in that they don't show ALL the fights.... I hope to see it continue and grow, we need more of our sport on TV that really show cases what we do versus what is seen in the TV shows....

OP
K31

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found a better way to get the schedule is to go to the WCL website. Versus updates just have the times and not who are in the matches. Sometimes they replay the same match several times in a row at different times.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of posting about the WCL show, but decided to search first, and found this thread (among others). I was just skimming some TV listings, and saw this program on the Versus channel. I wondered what World Combat League was, so I looked it up. From the quick read I did, it looks like it's basically a competition for strikers. I was wondering what others thought of it, but since the show airs here in about 5 minutes, I'd better go watch it instead of reading about it. :)

Tong Po

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a good league with great potential. I went to one event at the Mohegan Sun Arena and I liked that they had kids go out during half time and do demos/team fighting. Also the fighters hang out after their matches to sign autographs for free.

BTW, I'm also just a bit biased because my very longtime friend and instructor is the head coach of the New England Strikers.

OP
K31

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to go to a match but there's not any held nearby that I've heard of. No teams though. I guess I can't use that as an excuse since you've come all the way from Bangkok. :) What a beautiful country Thailand is. I hope I get to visit there again some day.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is Chuck Norris's baby to that i add this list of Chuck Norris's.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuck+norris

It seems ok but i don't like the thing WCL.

A freak accident involving Chuck Norris and a severe thunderstorm turned an ordinary Total Gym (R) into Richard Dean Anderson, star of TV series "MacGyver". Scholars around the world maintain that this is the only known case of irony that is both situational and dramatic.

That is funny!

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is very you know fast but the people fighting just seem very i can not explain. Fake comes to mind.

Mean while back to Chuck Norris.
There is a secret plot to clone the greatest Hollywood action movie stars in order to create an unbeatable army. The people behind this plot only need very small samples of DNA to work with. This is why so many action stars have very short haircuts, and some even go to the extent of shaving their heads to prevent the evil fiends from getting such a sample. Chuck Norris is the only one with the balls not only to grow his hair long, but also to cultivate facial hair. When he's feeling particularly cocky, he sends his toenail clippings to the evil syndicate's headquarters with a note: "Just try it, bitches, and I'll kick your asses into next Thursday."

Chuck Norris occasionally has Missing In Action flashbacks where he's escaping a Vietnam Prison and randomly starts killing Asians with his bare fist because that's the way Chuck rolls. You'll know when it's coming because Asians start flying through the air with random explosions, horrible subtitles will scroll your line of vision, and Chuck will run and hide in your mom's garden, finally stealing your Kia Sportage screaming, "Get in the Chopper" and lines like, "I'm Proud to be a ****ing American" after kicking your little sister in the face

Chuck Norris has to use a stunt double when he does crying scenes.

The manliest man on Earth:
Chuck Norris uses Tabasco Sauce for eye drops.

Chuck Norris can get Blackjack with just one card.

"One time I was with Norris in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. Norris goes up to the deer and says, 'I'm Chuck Norris! SAY IT!' Then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, 'ChuckNorris' ... It wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!'"

People created the automobile to escape from Chuck Norris...Not to be outdone, Chuck Norris created the automobile accident.

Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks people in the face first and asks questions later.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris can sneeze with his eyes open.

Archeologists in India recently uncovered a new dinosaur. It’s actually many dinosaurs but one is in the middle of all the others. The one in the middle is believed to have killed the others with a single roundhouse kick to the face. The archeologists wanted to call it ChuckNorrisaurs but the Indian government changed the name to Himotosaurous because it’s simply not possible for Mr. Norris to be killed.

When chuck norris jumps into a pool, he doesn't get wet, the pool gets chucked.

One day a man asked chuck norris if his real name was charles. Chuck norris did not respond, but rather stared at him until he exploded.

Chuck norris doesn't have AIDS but he gives them to people anyway.

If you can see chuck norris he can see you. If you can't see chuck norris, you may be only be seconds away from death.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched just a couple of rounds from a couple of fights. It didn't grab me.

Well, I still haven't managed to watch WCL (I only get 3 channels...no cable you see), but I do get to watch it's cousin - the International Fight League (IFL) on Monday nights. I'd have to agree with Arnisador (man, that's two times today I've done that!) - it doesn't grab me.

The fights just seem sloppy to me - at least when they attempt to fight standing up. When kicks are thrown, there is rarely any structure or root. The leg is just thrown out there. Most kicks don't land since they're overly telegraphed and horribly slow and the kicker falls off balance when he doesn't connect. There are a few blokes who can fight standing up and they're impressive to watch, but most fights flail around like that before hitting the ground. Inevitably, someone either chokes out or winds up in an armbar and taps out. To me, it's kind of boring. It sounds like the WCL is a bit more stand up than this though, so hopefully some day I can finally get to check it out. Maybe I'll be a convert...

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's completely stand-up, kind of.. flashy PKA, in a funky ring, with some really spaced out rounds, and odd scoring. I watch purely for the fights though, I think the set-up of split rounds will be the death knell of it. That and that ring... just odd. (Although it could add an aerial aspect if they're allowed to use it perhaps?).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've watched three episodes so far, and I don't think I need to watch any more. I prefer the K-1 setup for rounds, and the penalty for lack of aggressiveness is just silly. I also like a longer format in the fights because it allows attrition techniques like leg kicks to become more effective.

Its like kickboxing on speed to keep American audiences interested. Bleah.

Lamont

Ryokeen

White Belt
Reaction score
WCL is interesting and there are some really talented Martial Artists!
However, I would prefer to watch K-1 over this.
Though I still really enjoy WCL, and am glad to see someone trying to change the current MMA madness that's going on.
Personally I can't watch MMA...They're a bit too ruthless for my taste.
SO I enjoy K-1 And WCL very much.:uhyeah:

sinistersamuri

White Belt
Reaction score
:soapbox:i have watched all the martial arts comps on cable. in my opinion wcl is weak. i hope to compete someday. any competition where you cannot knee or elbow is pu$$y no offense thats my opinion. please dont ban me. then again one of my styles is thai boxing so what do i know, but if my instructor told me i could not throw knees and elbows i think i might cry. by the way, chuckie wants 2thousand bucks for his machine and the people who answer phones for him know nothing about mma. heads up. pride is as hard core as ive seen. wcl bores me. i keep thinking takedowntakedown. if you watch close somtimes you will see a fighter want to takedown but then remember that you cant. the only thing mixed about wcl is opinions. i call it wkl world kickboxing league. peace and respect