Any Other Top Five Wung Chun Masters?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read my post in the introduction section, ShortBridge. I'm real, not a troll.
This John guy, ha, is this just an inside joke? Seems so.
Noone's ventured an answer to one or my original questions. Easy to miss a question embedded further down I suppose. Do shorter guys have an advantage in speed?
Go bask and read the comments...it was an example....I could say some random guy is the best ever doesn't make it the truth....that's why there's no such thing as the best it's all opinion

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, easy to misunderstand the written word, without any voice or visual clues. No worries.
Thanks for the reply Troy. Yes, I'm already seeing that there is much, MUCH division and argument in WC. I don't care. I'll focus on the important things as you said. Haha, I've blown my entire retirement check in the last 5 days buying books, dvd's, other things. Might have to wait on your book till next paycheck. That one book i'm reading, Tao of WC, is giving some really good insights on the history. The author is being very open minded and discussing all the possible versions.
I meant no one had answered my question about 'do short guys/gals have more speed/quickness than tall guys'. Sugar Ray Leonard was one of the fastest, but then I guess Ali was too. Then Ip Man must have been incredibly fast, as was BL.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master wong is funny, but I've seen people Argue he's not 'real' wing chun. As for john, he's like Dave. And everyone knows Dave.

John is over rated. He might be able to beat 5 armed attackers, but what if there is 6?

Wong is a good showman, but even then he trys way too hard most of the time. He is a wing chun guy, but exactly where that WC comes from is something he wont come clean about. Maybe nowhere.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I meant no one had answered my question about 'do short guys/gals have more speed/quickness than tall guys'. ...

In answer to that question, I don't think so, necessarily. People have to use their physiology to their advantage, which means that people who practice the same system will adjust and adapt their structure and how they move to their body type. But, I've seen a variety of people lock themselves into some very good kung fu for their physiology and others with similar bodies fail to do so.

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just read that it was JOHN that taught Master Wong. John is 11th dan in Wing Chun I believe. And both were of the lineage of GGM Dave.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but im pretty certain that he learned wing chun for a time, purely to improve his jkd stuff. My original post to the OP qas tongue in cheek though.

Inosanto learned Wing Chun from Moy Yat early in his martial arts career. Throughout his martial arts career he has brought Francis Fong into his school to do Wing Chun seminars multiple times, in which he participated. So yeah, Inosanto knows Wing Chun. But I agree that it isn't his Wing Chun that earns him a spot on any "best ever" list! ;-)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Inosanto learned Wing Chun from Moy Yat early in his martial arts career. Throughout his martial arts career he has brought Francis Fong into his school to do Wing Chun seminars multiple times, in which he participated. So yeah, Inosanto knows Wing Chun. But I agree that it isn't his Wing Chun that earns him a spot on any "best ever" list! ;-)
I knew he had that training somewhere in his list!

Reactions: KPM

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guro Dan Inosanto has stated he has had 4 Wing Chun instructors with Sifu Francis Fong being his 4th beginning in 1981. They are both sifus and students of each other. With Guro Dan teaching Sifu Francis Jun Fan & Kali and Sifu Francis teaching Guro Dan Wing Chun. They continue today to share their arts with each other.

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions